The concept of rotational equilibrium

In summary, the net external torque on an object must be zero for it to be in rotational equilibrium. This can be divided into clockwise and anticlockwise torques. However, this approach may not work for 3-D objects. In a quick quiz question, the object was asked if it was in rotational equilibrium, and the answer given in the book was that it was in torque equilibrium but not force equilibrium. However, it is possible for an object to be in torque equilibrium but not force equilibrium if the torque about the center of mass is zero. This may result in a translational acceleration but not a rotational acceleration about the center of mass. However, in more advanced cases, such as when using an accelerating point as a pivot, inertial
hms.tech
Here is a text from my Physics Book :

The net external torque on the object about any axis must be zero for it to be in rotational equilibrium.

I divide the torques into two categories, anticlockwise and clockwise. (This approach works fine for 2-D objects but will it work for 3-D objects as well ?)

I think i found an error in my book or it might be possible that there is something wrong with my judgment. There was this quick quiz question and it asked whether the object is in rotational equilibrium.
Capture.PNG

I say no, it shouldn't and i can prove it :
Untitled.png

Consider the black spot as the pivot and if i were to take moments about this point of the two forces, i would find that [itex]F_{1}[/itex] and [itex]F_{2}[/itex] each provide a clockwise torque !

Yes i agree that the net torque about their point of intersection will be zero but not about the black spot(which also lies in the object)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hms.tech, did the question specify whether or not the point of intersection of the three force vectors was also the center of mass?

cactusCookies said:
Hi hms.tech, did the question specify whether or not the point of intersection of the three force vectors was also the center of mass?

Not at all

hms.tech said:
Not at all

Then I'm inclined to agree with you!

If it was the center of mass, the object would be in rotational equilibrium. If you take your pivot axis at the black dot as you suggested, don't forget to add in the inertia force to produce a torque that counters the torque from the applied force and all is right in the world again :)

What book are you using? Are you saying that the text claimed that the pictured object was in rotational equilibrium?

Doc Al said:
What book are you using? Are you saying that the text claimed that the pictured object was in rotational equilibrium?

This book was recommended as a great book for introductory physics by ppl here on PF
Physics for Scientists & Engineers by Serway.

As mentioned in the first post, there was this quiz on page 349~350 which asked whether the given object is in equilibrium, i stumbled across it while reading the text.

The answer given at the back of the book says this :
The object is in torque equilibrium but not force equilibrium.

I am seriously confused, is that possible ?

"The object is in torque equilibrium but not force equilibrium.

I am seriously confused, is that possible?"

Sure. Consider an object in free fall. It experiences no torque, but definitely a force.

hms.tech said:
The answer given at the back of the book says this :
The object is in torque equilibrium but not force equilibrium.

I am seriously confused, is that possible ?
Is it possible for an object to be in torque equilibrium but not force equilibrium? Only if the torque about the center of mass is zero. In which case the object will have a translational acceleration, but not a rotational acceleration about its center of mass. (Usually these issues are addressed in your next mechanics course. I doubt Serway covers these cases.)

I would say that the book is wrong about that question. (Unless they are talking about the line of action intersecting at the center of mass. But I don't think the book is covering such issues.)

Doc Al said:
Is it possible for an object to be in torque equilibrium but not force equilibrium? Only if the torque about the center of mass is zero. In which case the object will have a translational acceleration, but not a rotational acceleration about its center of mass. (Usually these issues are addressed in your next mechanics course. I doubt Serway covers these cases.)

I would say that the book is wrong about that question. (Unless they are talking about the line of action intersecting at the center of mass. But I don't think the book is covering such issues.)

I can't see the logic in your answer .
I think that even if all three forces were passing through the Center of mass, there MIGHT still be a net torque !
Let me prove it : https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57701

Consider this diagram in which the three forces are passing through the Center of mass (I am assuming this to prove my point). A point (black) is taken to be the pivot. Will there not be a net torque about this black spot ? (i think there will. )

Both [itex]F_{1}[/itex] and [itex]F_{2}[/itex] exert a clockwise torque ! ( i really can't see the possibility of an inertia force on the center of mass as suggested by cactusCookies; it does not make sense)

hms.tech said:
I can't see the logic in your answer .
I think that even if all three forces were passing through the Center of mass, there MIGHT still be a net torque !
Let me prove it : https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57701

Consider this diagram in which the three forces are passing through the Center of mass (I am assuming this to prove my point). A point (black) is taken to be the pivot. Will there not be a net torque about this black spot ? (i think there will. )
Is there a torque about the black spot? Sure. But be careful about what conclusions you draw from that, since the black spot is accelerating. It still turns out that there will be no rotational acceleration of the object.

Both [itex]F_{1}[/itex] and [itex]F_{2}[/itex] exert a clockwise torque ! ( i really can't see the possibility of an inertia force on the center of mass as suggested by cactusCookies; it does not make sense)
One way of dealing with the fact that you are using an accelerating point as your pivot is by introducing inertial forces as cactusCookies stated. (The center of mass is a special point--it doesn't matter if it is accelerating or not.)

As I hinted, these more advanced issues are dealt with in your next mechanics course (e.g., Classical Mechanics).

Last edited:

1. What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium is a state in which an object is not rotating or changing its rotational speed. This means that all the forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no net torque, or turning force, causing the object to rotate.

2. How is rotational equilibrium different from translational equilibrium?

Translational equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is not moving or changing its velocity. This means that all the forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no net force causing the object to accelerate. Rotational equilibrium, on the other hand, refers to a state in which an object is not rotating or changing its rotational speed.

3. What is the importance of understanding rotational equilibrium?

Understanding rotational equilibrium is important in the fields of physics and engineering because it allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects that are rotating or have rotational motion. It also helps us to design and build structures and machines that are stable and can withstand rotational forces.

4. How do you determine if an object is in rotational equilibrium?

To determine if an object is in rotational equilibrium, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective distances from the axis of rotation. Then, you can calculate the net torque by multiplying the force by its distance from the axis and summing them all together. If the net torque is equal to zero, the object is in rotational equilibrium.

5. Can an object be in both translational and rotational equilibrium at the same time?

Yes, an object can be in both translational and rotational equilibrium at the same time. This means that the object is not moving or rotating and there is no net force or net torque acting on it. However, it is important to note that an object can be in translational equilibrium without being in rotational equilibrium and vice versa.