1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The decomposition of the numerator

Tags:
  1. Apr 6, 2016 #1
    • Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
    (a) Find a power series representation for the function.
    symimage.cgi?expr=f%28x%29%3D%285%2Bx%29%2F%281-x%29.gif

I'm struggling on the decomposition of the numerator. This exercise is from chapter 8, section 6 of Th Stewart Calculus book.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what you mean by "decomposition of the numerator".

For any fraction of the form ##\frac{a+b}{D} = \frac{a}{D} + \frac{b}{D}##

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

I don't know if is useful to decompose the numerator but rewriting the function as ##f(x)=(5+x)\cdot\frac{1}{1-x}## can help ...

5. Apr 6, 2016 #4

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Use Steamking's hint, then you should recognize something rather familiar, can you write down where those series converge?

6. Apr 6, 2016 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The very first thing I would do is actually divide the denominator into the numerator: [itex]\frac{5+ x}{1- x}= -1+ \frac{6}{1- x}[/itex] and then expand [itex]\frac{6}{1- x}[/itex] using the fact that the geometric series [itex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty ar^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/itex].

7. Apr 6, 2016 #6
    I do not think that this series converges; it diverges. What I got is 5+6∑(x)^n fron 0 to ∞. I do not know if I satisfy your answer.

8. Apr 6, 2016 #7

Math_QED

Homework Helper

I did not check whether your answer is valid. I do know that your answer has to include a geometric series. Do you know when a geometric series converges? If not, you should look it up.

EDIT: your answer seems to be wrong

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  9. Apr 6, 2016 #8

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Use hallsofIvy's tip (easier than Steamking's one). Once you get the right answer (you can actually write it as one sum), you should also mention for what values this series converges to f(x), which is the interval where the geometric series converges.

10. Apr 6, 2016 #9
    I do. My answer is right because it's an online homework, and the website accepts this answer.

11. Apr 7, 2016 #10

Math_QED

Homework Helper

If so, can you send me how you got that answer? Then I can learn something new :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted