The Derivative of 2^x: How to Find It and Understand the Number e

  • Thread starter Thread starter robertjford80
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
robertjford80
Messages
388
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm trying to find the derivative of 2^x by hand so that I can better understand the number e. This video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNZgbj3UaRE&feature=plcp

says the answer is .69. I can't figure out how to get that


Homework Equations



lim h -> 0 [f(x0+h) - f(x0)]/h



The Attempt at a Solution



So let's take point (3,8)

[2(3+h)^3 - 4(3)^3]/h

= [54 + 2h^3 - 108]/h

= 54

not exactly .69
 
Physics news on Phys.org
robertjford80 said:

The Attempt at a Solution



So let's take point (3,8)

[2(3+h)^3 - 4(3)^3]/h

= [54 + 2h^3 - 108]/h

= 54

not exactly .69
I am not sure what you are doing here - but that looks incorrect.

The easiest way to do this derivative is to write y = 2^x and take the natural log of both sides and then differentiate.
 
If I do that, I get

ln y = x ln 2

Two unknowns and one equation, can't be solved.
 
robertjford80 said:
If I do that, I get

ln y = x ln 2

Two unknowns and one equation, can't be solved.
No... you take the derivative with respect to x of both sides.
 
Then I will still have an x in my solution, not .69
 
wait, the natural log of 2 is .69, ok, I get it now.
 
robertjford80 said:
wait, the natural log of 2 is .69, ok, I get it now.
Are you sure? Because the derivative of 2^x is not .69. It's (ln2)*2^x. It is only .69 at x=0.
 
well, i get enough to satisfy me for the moment.
 
robertjford80 said:
well, i get enough to satisfy me for the moment.
well, ok then.
 
robertjford80 said:

The Attempt at a Solution



So let's take point (3,8)

[2(3+h)^3 - 4(3)^3]/h

= [54 + 2h^3 - 108]/h

= 54

not exactly .69

This is wrong on so many levels... You should really read through the more basic stuff again...

So if f(x) = 2x, then f(x0+h)-f(x0) = 2(x0+h)-2x0

Next, you don't pick a random value for h... Instead, you take the limit as h tends to zero of (f(x+h)-f(x))/h
 
Or you could just learn the general formula: ##\frac{d(a^x)}{dx}=a^x.\ln a## where a is any real constant.
 
robertjford80 said:

Homework Statement



I'm trying to find the derivative of 2^x by hand so that I can better understand the number e. This video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNZgbj3UaRE&feature=plcp

says the answer is .69. I can't figure out how to get that
Your whole question doesn't make much sense. The derivative of [itex]2^x[/itex] is a function of x, not a number. Since, in fact, the derivative of [itex]2^x[/itex] is the function [itex]ln(2)2^x[/itex], and ln(2) is (approximately) 0.69, the derivative of [itex]2^x[/itex] at x= 0 is (approximately) 0.69.

Homework Equations



lim h -> 0 [f(x0+h) - f(x0)]/h

The Attempt at a Solution



So let's take point (3,8)

[2(3+h)^3 - 4(3)^3]/h

= [54 + 2h^3 - 108]/h
Pretty much everything here is wrong. For one thing, [itex](x+ h)^3= x^3+ 3x^2h+ 3xh^3+ h^3[/itex], NOT "[itex]x^3+ h^3[/itex]". But where did that [itex]2(3+h)^3[/itex] come from anyway? The difference quotient for [itex]2^x[/itex] would be
[tex]\frac{2^{x+ h}- 2^x}{h}[/tex]
not what you have. (Which looks like it would be for [itex]2x^3[/itex] if that "4" were a "2".)

We could then write [itex]2^{x+y}= 2^x2^h[/itex] and factor [itex]2^x[/itex] out. The difference quotient becomes
[tex]2^x \frac{2^h- 1}{h}[/tex]
so that the derivative, the limit, as h goes to 0, of that, is [itex]2^x[/itex] times the limit of that last fraction. In fact, it is easy to see that the derivative of [itex]a^x[/itex] is just [itex]a^x[itex]itself times the limit of <br /> [tex]\frac{a^h- 1}{h}[/tex]<br /> <br /> "e" happens to have that limit equal to 1. And one can use the properties of [itex]e^x[itex]to show that <br /> [tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{a^h- 1}{h}= ln(a)[/tex] <blockquote data-attributes="" data-quote="" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch"> <div class="bbCodeBlock-content"> <div class="bbCodeBlock-expandContent js-expandContent "> = 54<br /> <br /> not exactly .69 </div> </div> </blockquote>[/itex][/itex][/itex][/itex]