The Difference Between Two Indefinite Integrals

In summary, the question is asking about the value of the expression ∫sin(x) dx - ∫sin(x) dx and the answer depends on how we interpret the notation ∫sin(x) dx. If we see it as a single antiderivative, the answer would be zero. However, if we see it as representing multiple antiderivatives, the answer would be an arbitrary constant. It is standard to evaluate indefinite integrals by adding a constant of integration, so the expression would ultimately be equal to a constant.
PFuser1232
I actually came across this question on social media. What is:

$$\int sin (x) \, dx - \int sin (x) \, dx$$

And I think the answer depends on how we interpret:

$$\int sin (x) \, dx$$

If we think of it as a single antiderivative, the answer would be zero. If we think of it as being representative of several antiderivatives of ##sin (x)##, the answer would be some arbitrary constant.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think "define non-standard or unclear notation if you use it".

Likes PFuser1232
It's standard to evaluate indefinite integrals as the anti derivative of the function plus a constant of integration.

So I think ∫sin(x) dx-∫sinx(x) dx would just be equal to an arbitrary constant (as you said).

What is the definition of an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is an expression that represents the antiderivative of a function. It is also known as the primitive of a function.

What is the difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will result in a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will result in a function.

How do you find the indefinite integral of a function?

To find the indefinite integral of a function, you must use the reverse process of differentiation. This involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to the given function, plus a constant term.

What is the relationship between two indefinite integrals?

Two indefinite integrals of the same function may differ by a constant term, but they will always have the same derivative.

Why is the constant of integration important in indefinite integrals?

The constant of integration is important because it represents the family of functions that have the same derivative. It is necessary to include this constant to represent the full range of possible solutions.