1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Differences between regular, honors, and AP physics

Tags:
  1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    Hey everybody, I am in high school and have an interest in physics. I am wondering what the major differences are in these types of classes, usually. I am advanced for my age at math and I have a decent foundation on physics. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2011 #2
    Ask your physics teacher(s).

4. Sep 30, 2011 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As Fizex said, ask your teacher. Every school is different. As a ballpark estimate:

1. Regular physics- A standard high school physics class covering basic mechanics, dynamics, thermodynamics, and possibly some optics from an algebra-based perspective.

2. Honors physics- Same topics as above, also from an algebra-based perspective. The course may move quicker, have some tougher homework problems, but basically covers the same stuff. You may also cover some basic electricity and magnetism along with the rest of the topics.

3.AP Physics- Ideally, an AP class is at an introductory college level, and prepares you to take one of ETS's AP subject test for Physics. Depending on the level of the class and the AP test the class is built around, you may cover Electricity and Magnetism more, or learn everything from a calculus-based perspective.

N.B. The above should only be taken as grossly generalized descriptions. For example, some schools may cover E&M in a regular physics class or some may never get past mechanics and dynamics. I wouldn't make a decision about what class to take without talking to your physics teacher.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook