The Differences between regular, honors, and AP physics

In summary, there are three main types of high school physics classes: regular, honors, and AP. Regular physics covers basic topics like mechanics and thermodynamics from an algebra-based perspective. Honors physics covers the same topics but may move at a quicker pace and include some basic electricity and magnetism. AP physics is meant to be at a college level and prepares students for the AP subject test. Depending on the class and the test, you may cover topics from a calculus-based perspective or focus more on electricity and magnetism. It's important to talk to your physics teacher to determine which class would be the best fit for you.
MACHO-WIMP
Hey everybody, I am in high school and have an interest in physics. I am wondering what the major differences are in these types of classes, usually. I am advanced for my age at math and I have a decent foundation on physics. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask your physics teacher(s).

As Fizex said, ask your teacher. Every school is different. As a ballpark estimate:

1. Regular physics- A standard high school physics class covering basic mechanics, dynamics, thermodynamics, and possibly some optics from an algebra-based perspective.

2. Honors physics- Same topics as above, also from an algebra-based perspective. The course may move quicker, have some tougher homework problems, but basically covers the same stuff. You may also cover some basic electricity and magnetism along with the rest of the topics.

3.AP Physics- Ideally, an AP class is at an introductory college level, and prepares you to take one of ETS's AP subject test for Physics. Depending on the level of the class and the AP test the class is built around, you may cover Electricity and Magnetism more, or learn everything from a calculus-based perspective.

N.B. The above should only be taken as grossly generalized descriptions. For example, some schools may cover E&M in a regular physics class or some may never get past mechanics and dynamics. I wouldn't make a decision about what class to take without talking to your physics teacher.

1. What is the main difference between regular, honors, and AP physics?

The main difference between these three levels of physics is the depth and complexity of the material covered. Regular physics focuses on the basic principles and equations, while honors physics delves deeper into the concepts and may cover additional topics. AP physics is the most advanced level and covers the same material as a college-level introductory physics course.

2. Do I need to have a strong math background to take honors or AP physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry is necessary for success in honors and AP physics. These courses involve more complex mathematical calculations and understanding of mathematical concepts is crucial.

3. Can I skip regular physics and go straight to honors or AP physics?

In some cases, it is possible to skip regular physics and go straight to honors or AP physics. This decision is typically made by the school or teacher based on your performance in math and science courses and your overall academic ability.

4. Are there different expectations for grades in regular, honors, and AP physics?

Yes, the expectations for grades may vary between these three levels. In general, honors and AP physics courses have higher expectations and may require more independent work and critical thinking. However, the specific expectations will depend on your school and teacher.

5. Will taking honors or AP physics give me an advantage in college?

Yes, taking honors or AP physics can give you an advantage in college. These courses are more rigorous and cover material at a deeper level, which can better prepare you for college-level coursework. Additionally, some colleges may offer credit or advanced placement for students who have taken honors or AP physics in high school.