1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Disk/Washer Method: Axis Of Revolution Question

1. Aug 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

Find the volume of the solid generated by evolving the region bounded by y = sqrt(x), y = 0, x = 4, when revolved around the line x = 6

2. Relevant equations

The Disk/Washer Method -

3. The attempt at a solution

let R(y) = 6 - y^2
    r(y) = 2

Okay. What I don't quite understand is why we translate the graph to the right 6 units, and letting the inner radius equal 2. Can anyone shed some light on why we do this? A counter-example would help me understand this easier.

My $0.02... maybe you can clarify it:

By translating the graph y = sqrt(x), 6 units to the left, the vertex point (0,0) now becomes (6,0)... and it's similar, as if, rotated by the y-axis. I know there is a gap of 2 units (from x = 4 and x = 6, as shown by the graph). But where does the subtraction come from?

Carlo

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The gap of 2 is the distance from x=6 to x=4, which is 6-4. There's a subtraction in there too. Similarly the distance from x=y^2 to x=6 is 6-y^2. Subtracting a larger number from a smaller gives the distance between them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?