Find Area Using Washer and Disk Method | Revolve Curves Around Axis

• Thread starter Carmen12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method Set
In summary: Similarly, for rotation around the x-axis we need a "disk" method. Here the radius is along the y-direction so, since x= y^{1/2}/\sqrt{2}, the radius is (y^{1/2}/\sqrt{2}). The area of a disk is \pi (r^2) so the volume is \pi \int_0^2 (y/2)^2 dy. For rotation around y= 8, the radius is along the y-direction again but now is 8- y^{1/2}/\sqrt{2} so the area of the "washer" is \pi((8- y^{1/2}/\sqrt{2})^
Carmen12

Homework Statement

choose between washer and disk method, and find the area of the region bounded by the following curves by revolving around a) the y-axis b) the x-axis c) y=8, and x=2

Homework Equations

y=2x2
y=0
x=2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set up a) from 0 to 8 [ 2-sqrt(y/2)]^2 dy (washer method)

I don't know how to do the notation around here, so I hope that is clear? And I did remember the PI out front in these. I got 16pi/3

b) from 0 to 2 (2x^2)^2 dx (disk method). for 128pi/5

c) from 0 to 2 (x-2x^2)^2 dx (washer method) for 184pi/15

d) from 0 to 8 (sqrt(y/2))^^2 dy (disk method) for 16pi

I have no clue if I'm doing this right... all the values seem so different... :(

Physics news on Phys.org
The values should be different- they are solutions to different problems.

Yes, for rotation around the y-axis, since the y-axis is not a boundary of the region being rotated, use the "washer method". However, you have the integrand wrong. [itex]\pi (r_1- r_2)^2[/itex] is the area of a full circle of radius [itex]r_1- r_2[/itex]. A "washer" with outer radius [itex]r_1[/itex] and inner radius [itex]r_2[/itex] can be thought of as the are of the outer circle, [itex]\pi r_1^2[/itex] and then subtract of the area of the inner circle, [itex]\pi r_2^2[/itex]: the area of the washer is [itex]\pi(r_1^2- r_2^2)[/itex].

The radius will be along the x- direction and, since [itex]y= 2x^2[/itex] but we only need x positive, [itex]x= y^{1/2}/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and the area of the "washer" from that x to x= 2 is [itex]\pi(r_1^2- r_2^2)= \pi(4- y/2)[/itex]. The volume is [itex]\pi \int_0^8 (4- y/2)dy[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Disk/Washer Method?

The Disk/Washer Method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution by rotating a region bounded by a curve around a specific axis. It involves slicing the solid into infinitesimally thin disks or washers and calculating the volume of each slice.

2. How do I set up the Disk/Washer Method?

To set up the Disk/Washer Method, you need to identify the axis of rotation, the function that defines the curve, and the limits of integration. Then, you need to determine whether to use disks or washers to calculate the volume based on the shape of the solid of revolution. Finally, you can use the formula V = π∫(r(x))^2dx to calculate the volume.

3. What is the difference between disks and washers in the Disk/Washer Method?

Disks are used when the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the base of the solid. The radius of each disk is equal to the distance from the axis of rotation to the curve. Washers, on the other hand, are used when the axis of rotation is parallel to the base of the solid. The inner radius of each washer is equal to the distance from the axis of rotation to the inner curve, while the outer radius is equal to the distance to the outer curve.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid in using the Disk/Washer Method?

One common mistake is using the wrong axis of rotation, which can lead to incorrect volume calculations. Make sure to carefully identify the axis of rotation before setting up the problem. Another mistake is using the wrong integration limits, which can result in an incorrect volume. It is important to understand the shape of the solid and choose the correct limits of integration.

5. Can the Disk/Washer Method be used for any solid of revolution?

Yes, the Disk/Washer Method can be used for any solid of revolution as long as the region can be described by a continuous function. This method is commonly used for finding the volume of objects such as cones, cylinders, and spheres.