The distance travelled in the Y-axis by an arrow

• Thread starter sandercock
  • Start date
In summary, a person is asking for help in calculating the height an arrow will rise when shot vertically from a bow with an effective spring constant of 500 N/m. They have calculated the force being put on the arrow as 325 N, but are unsure how to determine the initial velocity. Someone suggests using energy considerations and mentions the potential energy stored in the bow.
sandercock
hi

I am normally good at physics, but i am abit stuck, because i feel I am missing relevant information.

A 100g arrow is shot vertically from a bow whose effective spring constant is 500 n/m,If the bow is drawn 65cm before shooting the arrow, to what height does the arrow rise?

i worked out the force being put on the arrow is 325 N, but how do i work out the initial velocity?i know that when i have that i can just do the equation

Y=VoSin0ot-0.5gt^2
etc to find the distance in the Y-axis, but how do i get to this step!

Help me!

/alex

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not use energy considerations?
There is potential energy stored in the bow; what happens to it?

1. How is the distance travelled in the Y-axis by an arrow measured?

The distance travelled in the Y-axis by an arrow is measured by determining the vertical displacement of the arrow from its starting point to its ending point. This can be done by using a ruler or measuring tape to measure the height of the arrow at its starting and ending points and then subtracting the two values.

2. Does the weight of the arrow affect the distance it travels in the Y-axis?

Yes, the weight of the arrow does affect the distance it travels in the Y-axis. Heavier arrows will typically have a shorter vertical distance due to the force of gravity acting on them, while lighter arrows may travel farther in the Y-axis.

3. What factors can affect the distance travelled in the Y-axis by an arrow?

The distance travelled in the Y-axis by an arrow can be affected by a variety of factors, including the weight and shape of the arrow, the force and angle of the shot, wind speed and direction, and the surface on which the arrow lands.

4. How does air resistance impact the distance travelled in the Y-axis by an arrow?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the distance travelled in the Y-axis by an arrow. As the arrow moves through the air, it experiences resistance which can cause it to slow down and fall to the ground sooner than if there was no air resistance. This can result in a shorter vertical distance travelled.

5. Can the distance travelled in the Y-axis by an arrow be calculated using mathematical equations?

Yes, the distance travelled in the Y-axis by an arrow can be calculated using mathematical equations. These equations take into account factors such as the initial velocity, angle of the shot, and air resistance to determine the vertical distance travelled by the arrow. However, these calculations may not always accurately reflect the actual distance due to the complex nature of arrow flight.