-- The drawing shows three particles far away from....

In summary, the drawing shows three particles far away from any other objects and located on a straight line. The masses of these particles are mA = 340 kg, mB = 567 kg, and mC = 139 kg. The net gravitational force, including sign, acting on (a) particle A, (b) particle B, and (c) particle C is 5.70 E-5.
Clare
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
The drawing shows three particles far away from any other objects and located on a straight line. The masses of these particles are mA = 340 kg, mB = 567 kg, and mC = 139 kg. Take the positive direction to be to the right. Find the net gravitational force, including sign, acting on (a) particle A, (b) particle B, and (c) particle C.

a. (6.67*10^-11*340*567)/0.5^2 + (6.67*10^-11*340*139)/0.75^2 = 5.70 E-5

After getting this one wrong i tried to adjust it with a negative sign in the front of the first set but to no avail. I don't even know how to go about any of the three parts because I keep confusing myslef with the same wrong answers.

Attachments

• EAT_1323079436346_0_5105450240315715.gif
    EAT_1323079436346_0_5105450240315715.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 363
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer to (a). I don't have a calculator handy and did the arithmetic by hand, but if it is not the right answer, perhaps the right answer is 5.71 E-5. If it is a computerized program that is determining correct or incorrect, it should give you a little margin for error. I could have also miscalculated, but I believe my answer is correct. Try putting a "+" sign into your posted answer. ## \\ ## Edit: Perhaps you need to put "Newtons" or "N " or "Nt" in your answer. Without the units it really is incorrect.

Last edited:
Likes Clare
How do you know that what you calculated is wrong?

It’s a homework program called Wiley Plus and this is the most trouble I’ve had with it

Clare said:
It’s a homework program called Wiley Plus and this is the most trouble I’ve had with it
Did you try my suggestions?

Did you enter the units, as Charles Link pointed out in post # 2, and did you take care of the significant figures in your answer?

Charles Link said:
Did you try my suggestions?
I did! apparently it just wanted me to round up even though you shouldn't and the units were already marked correct. The only one i haven't gotten is part c.

Likes Charles Link
Thank you! I got it.

Likes Charles Link

What are the three particles in the drawing representing?

The three particles in the drawing are most likely representing atoms or subatomic particles.

Why are the particles shown as being far away from each other?

The particles are shown as being far away from each other to demonstrate the concept of distance and the interactions between particles at a distance.

Is there a specific reason for the positioning of the particles in the drawing?

Without further context, it is difficult to determine the specific reason for the positioning of the particles. However, it could be to illustrate a particular concept or scientific principle.

Are the particles interacting with each other in any way?

Based on the drawing, it appears that the particles are not interacting with each other. However, in reality, all particles interact with each other through various forces such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

How does the distance between the particles affect their interactions?

The distance between particles can affect the strength of their interactions. For example, particles that are closer together will have a stronger interaction compared to particles that are further apart. The specific type of interaction will also play a role in how distance affects it.