The electric car and the standard battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of Standard Batteries (SB) in all cars, which would allow for easy battery replacement instead of charging. However, current battery technology is not advanced enough yet and the choice of battery type and size also presents challenges. The use of supercapacitors as an alternative to batteries is also mentioned, but their current limitations make them a less practical option. The conversation also touches on the idea of using generators and flywheels for energy storage.
mohd_adam
in fact, i want to ask, What do prevent the car companies to produce Standard Battery , and all companies use this SB in their cars, where the number of used SB will depend on the car specifications , by this method we can easily go to replace the batteries instead of stop the electric car and recharge the battery which ususally take some hours.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Generally the technology isn't mature enough yet.
Which battery technology would you choose, Lead-Acid, NiMh, Li-ion, Li-polymer?
Then there is the shape and size, the removable battery pack for a forklift isn't going to be most suitable for a telsa roadster, isn't going to be suitable for a smart car.
Finaly the size and weight of the current battery technology means that it is a major structural load on the car and so making it removable would make the car more difficult to design and build and so heavier and more expensive.

Last edited:
thank you mgb_phys for your explanation , I hope by 2030 we have the technology that help in producing SB.

mohd_adam said:
I hope by 2030 we have the technology that help in producing SB.

Or technology that doesn't need the batteries to be replaced, like supercaps.

mgb_phys said:
Or technology that doesn't need the batteries to be replaced, like supercaps.

I read about supercaps of several farads, and quite small, how can they transfer large currents or is that the main weakness at this time? (keeping them cool?)

Supercaps are upto about 5000 Farads, they can transfer huge currents.
They are mainly used at the moment in hybrids to provide short term power source or sink at higher currents than the batteries can handle.
With current technology they are expensive and don't have the power density (W/kg) of modern batteries. I wouldn't have thought cooling was a problem since they are very efficient.

mgb_phys said:
Supercaps are upto about 5000 Farads, they can transfer huge currents.
They are mainly used at the moment in hybrids to provide short term power source or sink at higher currents than the batteries can handle.
With current technology they are expensive and don't have the power density (W/kg) of modern batteries. I wouldn't have thought cooling was a problem since they are very efficient.

Do you have a quick link for supercaps ?

This brings out the stupid in me, if generators can generate power at the same rate that motors use power, it seems that the only storage needed is the power needed to accelerate to a given speed.:confused:

A flywheel to smooth out the pluses of switching, it seems that a 5000 farad cap would store all the needed energy along with the flywheel, to continue at a steady rate.:smile:

Just yesterday I was thinking how seldom we consider something as simple as flipping a switch for a light or appliance on, and the power from a generator hundreds of miles away is there in nano or micro seconds.

In a hybrid car the generator is the motor - when you are braking the motor converts the energy into electricity and stores it for later when you need to accelerate.

In a power grid being unable to store large amounts of electricity is a big problem. At the ad break in super-dance-pop-idol (or whatever) when everybody goes to make a coffee - extra power stations have to kick into handle the extra load.

1. What is an electric car?

An electric car is a type of vehicle that is powered by an electric motor and uses electricity stored in a battery to operate. Unlike traditional gasoline cars, electric cars do not have an internal combustion engine and do not require gasoline to run.

2. How does an electric car work?

Electric cars work by using electricity stored in a battery to power an electric motor. The battery is charged by plugging the car into an external power source, usually a charging station or an outlet at home. The electric motor then converts the electrical energy into mechanical energy, which powers the wheels of the car.

3. What is a standard battery for an electric car?

A standard battery for an electric car is a rechargeable battery that is used to store the electrical energy needed to power the car. These batteries are typically made of lithium-ion and have a similar function to the fuel tank in a gasoline car. They come in different sizes and capacities, which can affect the range and performance of the electric car.

4. How long does it take to charge an electric car battery?

The time it takes to charge an electric car battery can vary depending on the type of battery, the charging method, and the capacity of the battery. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-8 hours to fully charge an electric car battery using a standard home charging station. Fast charging stations can charge the battery to 80% in around 30 minutes.

5. What are the benefits of using an electric car with a standard battery?

There are several benefits to using an electric car with a standard battery. These include lower operating costs, reduced emissions and environmental impact, and a quieter and smoother driving experience. Electric cars also have fewer moving parts, which can result in lower maintenance costs compared to traditional gasoline cars.