1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Electrical energy of a conducting cylinder

1. Dec 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem stsatemesnt, all variables and given/known data
    A cylinder conductor of length ##l##, inner radius ##a## and outer radius ##b## is half-filled with a liquid dielectric as shown in the picture. The cylinder is attached to a battery of constant voltage ##U## and then separated from it. Imagine that the dielectric is leaking and calculate the change of electrical energy when there is no dielectric present. ( meaning the difference between the beginning state and the one were there is no dielectric)
    There is a picture below.
    IMG_2019.JPG
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm gonna guide you through my work and thinking so you can correct me and help me finish the problem.

##ΔW_e=W_{e2}-W_{e1}## ( The state 2 is when its empty)
    ##W_{e1}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{Q_1^2}{C_1}## ( ##C_1,Q_1## are the total charge and capacitance of the system 1)
    Because there is a dielectric in the first system i have two electric fields, the one above the ##h## and the one below going radial.
    ##E_1=\frac{Q'_1}{2 \pi ε_0 r}##
    ##U_1=\frac{Q'_1}{2 \pi ε_0}\ln (b/a)##
    ##E_2=\frac{Q'_2}{2 \pi ε_0 ε_r r}##
    ##U_2=\frac{Q'_2}{2 \pi ε_0 ε_r} \ln (b/a)##
    Then i express the linear charge densities ##Q'_1,Q'_2##
    ##Q'_1=\frac{2 \pi ε_0 U_1}{\ln (b/a)}##
    ##Q'_2=\frac{2 \pi ε_0 ε_r U_2}{\ln (b/a)}##
    ##Q_{total}=Q'_1*(l/2) + Q'_2*(l/2)##
    Something does not seem right here, can you help me with what i got wrong?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,

I'm missing the relevant equations in section 2 :smile: like ##Q_{\rm total}\ ## conserved, ##U_1 = U_2 ## and such...
    And what about ##\ C_1, C_2\ ## ?

4. Dec 1, 2016 #3
    It's not stated but im guessing that ##Q## must be conserved and ##C## and ##U## are changing. :) The whole work is my guess so i dont know the answer if anything is conserved xD I was thinking someone can provide an insight.

5. Dec 1, 2016 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would forget about E fields. Just compute C1 and C2, then take the difference in 1/2 CV^2. Yes, Q is conserved; removing the dielectric does not remove any charge. So you know that V1 and V2 will be different also.

6. Dec 1, 2016 #5
    But to compute C i need to have V and to have V i need E

7. Dec 1, 2016 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No you don't. C is a property of the geometry etc etc and is independent of V, E or Q. (We are not yet dealing with nonlinear capacitors at your stage of the game).

8. Dec 1, 2016 #7
    ##C=\frac{Q}{V}## by definition. What do you mean its not dependant on ##Q## or ##V##?

9. Dec 1, 2016 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK take two large parallel plates. Area = A, separation = d. What's the capacitance?

10. Dec 1, 2016 #9
    ##C=\epsilon_0\frac{A}{d}##
    I see your point, it is the conductors geometric property.
    For the cylindrical system i then have two capacitances ##C_1=\frac{2\pi\epsilon_0L/2}{ln(b/a)}##, ##C_2=\frac{2\pi\epsilon_0\epsilon_rL/2}{ln(b/a)}## Now i need to know the ##V_1,V_2## for the system in case it's half filled and for that i need ##E##. When i find that what is my ##C## for the case where its half filled? I have two C's?

11. Dec 1, 2016 #10

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't need E.
    You have two capacitors in "parallel", do you see that? Call them CA and CB. So C = CA + CB. Say CA has the dielectric, initially. You can compute CA1; also CB1 = CA2 = CB2.
    You know V1, = same for CA and CB. You then can find Q = V1(CA1 + CB1).
    For V2 you invoke the fact that Q does not change. This enables you to compute V2.
    Finally, as I said, energy = 1/2 Δ{CV2}, or = 1/2 Q ΔV.
    I can say no more.

12. Dec 1, 2016 #11

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All a matter of writing down the relevant equations, including the conservation relationships ...
    (not to rub it in, but to make clear the ingredients of a solid problem solving approach ... )
    No guessing. Physics. Where would Q go ?

13. Dec 2, 2016 #12
    Dielectric polarization can make Q change at conductor surfaces. The net change in Q is 0 globally.

14. Dec 2, 2016 #13

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't think so. The dielectric does not assume net charge. All charge stays on the metal surfaces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted