1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The electron momentum is E/c, so that its speed is...

1. Dec 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-12-24_11-47-57.png
    2. Relevant equations
    E = γmc2
    p = γmv
    K = E - mc2
    E2 = c2p2 + m2c4

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have completed most of this question, but I am struggling to get the required result to the final part of the question.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2017 #1

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Please note that forum guidelines require you to show your attempted solution. Without it, how are we supposed to see where you have gone wrong?

Also, please include (and preferably type out) the entire question. It seems to me that what you have given is a part of a larger question. Taken out of context, the question makes no sense since the energy divided by c is only the momentum for a massless particle, which the electron is not.

4. jcsd
  5. Dec 24, 2017 #2
    I've posted the rest of the question. My attempts at this part of the question are lots of messy algebraic manipulations. I'd just like to know the correct way to approach the problem.

6. Dec 24, 2017 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

The forum rules require you to provide your attempt. It is not optional Nobody here is going to reply unless you do since that would also break forum rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted