The expected value of the square of the sample mean?

In summary, the equation E(X-bar^2) = (σ^2)/n + μ^2 is derived using the relationship between mean square and variance, by substituting the values of EY and Var(Y) for the random variable Y = ΣX_i / n and using the fact that the X_i are independent and identically distributed. The correct equation is E(X-bar^2) = (σ^2)/n + μ^2, where μ is squared.
pandaBee

Homework Statement

In my notes I keep stumbling upon this equation:

Equation 1: E(X-bar^2) = (σ^2)/n + μ^2

I was wondering why the above equation is true and how it is derived.

The Attempt at a Solution

E(X-bar^2)

##Summations are from i/j=1 to n

= E[(Σx_i/n)^2)]

= E[(Σx_i/n)(Σx_j/n)]

=(1/n^2)E[(Σx_i)(Σx_j)]

=(1/n^2)ΣΣE(x_i*x_j)

=E(x_1^2) + E( x_2^2 + ... + E(x_n^2)
+ E(x_1*x_2) + E(x_1*x_3) + ... : Equation 2

I'm stuck at this point. Could someone show me how you get to Equation 1 from Equation 2? Assuming that my derivation to Equation 2 is correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pandaBee said:

Homework Statement

Equation 1: E(X-bar^2) = (σ^2)/n + μ

The Attempt at a Solution

E(X-bar^2)

##Summations are from i/j=1 to n

= E[(Σx_i/n)^2)]

= E[(Σx_i/n)(Σx_j/n)]

=(1/n^2)E[(Σx_i)(Σx_j)]

=(1/n^2)ΣΣE(x_i*x_j)

=E(x_1^2) + E( x_2^2 + ... + E(x_n^2)
+ E(x_1*x_2) + E(x_1*x_3) + ... : Equation 2

I'm stuck at this point. Could someone show me how you get to Equation 1 from Equation 2? Assuming that my derivation to Equation 2 is correct.

If you mean
[tex] E \overline{X}^2 = \frac{\sigma^2}{n} + \mu [/tex]
then that cannot possibly be right! For one thing, the "dimensions" don't match. For example, if ##X## is measured in meters, then ##\sigma^2## is measured in ##\text{meters}^2##, while ##\mu## is in meters.

The easiest approach is to recognize that the mean square and variance of any random variable ##Y## are connected by the equation
[tex] \text{Var}(Y) = E(Y^2) - (E Y)^2, \; \text{or} \; E(Y^2) = \text{Var}(Y) + (EY)^2 [/tex]

Apply this to ##Y = \bar{X} = \sum X_i / n##. Assuming the ##X_i## are independent and identically distributed there are easy and well-known formulas for ##EY## and ##\text{Var} (Y)## in terms of ##\mu##, ##\sigma## and ##n##. That will tell you the value of ##E \overline{X}^2##.

On the other hand, if you meant that you want to know
[tex] E \overline{X^2} = E \sum X_i^2 / n, [/tex]
then you have a different set of formulas to use. However, you can approach it again using the relationship between mean square and variance.

Last edited:
pandaBee said:

Homework Statement

Equation 1: E(X-bar^2) = (σ^2)/n + μ

I think your Equation 1 may contain a slight error, as Ray pointed out

I think the correct equation is E(x-bar)2 = (σ2 / n) + μ2

Yes, you are both correct, the correct equation was actually

Equation 1: E(X-bar^2) = (σ^2)/n + μ^2
The mu had to be squared.

In fact, I can see that I have made a huge blunder in how I was looking at this problem. Thank you both for the insight!

1. What is the expected value of the square of the sample mean?

The expected value of the square of the sample mean is a measure of the average of the squared values of all possible sample means. It represents the theoretical long-term average of the squared sample means.

2. How is the expected value of the square of the sample mean calculated?

The expected value of the square of the sample mean can be calculated by taking the square of the expected value of the sample mean. This means multiplying the expected value of the sample mean by itself.

3. Why is the expected value of the square of the sample mean important?

The expected value of the square of the sample mean is important because it is a key component in calculating the variance and standard deviation of a sample. It also helps to understand the spread of data and make predictions based on the sample mean.

4. What factors can affect the expected value of the square of the sample mean?

The expected value of the square of the sample mean can be affected by the sample size, the distribution of the data, and the presence of outliers. A larger sample size and a more normal distribution tend to result in a more accurate expected value.

5. How can the expected value of the square of the sample mean be used in statistical analysis?

The expected value of the square of the sample mean is used in various statistical tests and analyses, such as in hypothesis testing and confidence intervals. It is also commonly used in regression analysis to assess the relationship between variables and make predictions based on the sample mean.