1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The force between charged parallel disks, when distance isn't given?

1. Jan 27, 2014 #1
    Two circular disks, each of area 2.10×10-4 m2, are situated parallel to one another. The distance between them is small compared with their radii. Both disks are uniformly charged; their charges per unit area are σ = 5.10×10-5 C/m2 for one and -σ = -5.10×10-5 C/m2 for the other. Compute the force exerted by one on the other.

Hint: You can assume the field from each plate to be that of an infinite sheet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the electric field is calculated using Gauss's Law : E=(charge density)/(2*permittivity of space). But, how in the world do you get the force exerted by one on the other if distance isn't given?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2014 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

the E-field is _uniform_ from + plate to - plate. This means that the E-vectors do not spread, so Gauss is really easy to use. F = qE , like always. (how else would you EVER calculate electric Force?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted