The Force of Wind and the Debate on Heat, Energy, and Mass

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    F=ma Wind
In summary, the two are discussing whether or not heat has a mass. My brother argues that it does, while I believe it does not. They go on to discuss how heat is simply energy, and how energy must have mass in order to have any effect. They then move on to discuss how wind is caused by heat, but wind is not actually heat.
brandy
i'm currently discussing this with a friend.
anyway.

here is the conversation:
he said
It started as "If something doesn't have a mass, it cannot have a force", due to Newton's second law, F = ma (Force = Mass x Acceleration). Logically, if you substitute 0 in for the Mass, you will get a result of 0 Force. My brother then argued that there are things which have no mass but still have a force and the main example we discussed was wind. Does wind have a mass? After a while we got to the fact that wind is just heat. After long debating about "does heat have mass" we got to the fact that heat is just energy. Now we are at "does energy have mass". Apparently there are conflicting arguments all over the place with this. I believe for there to be energy, it must have mass, due to Einstein's formula E = mc^2 (Energy = Mass x Speed of Light^2). As with F = ma, if you substitute 0 in for the Mass, you will get a result of 0 Energy.

My thinking:
my understanding is that hot air rises because it is less dense than air that is colder. which is a change in pressure, which is what causes air particles to move. hence wind. so heat causes wind but that doesn't mean wind is heat. is my understanding screwed?

my understanding of heat is that it is a form of energy and that heat does not have a mass and that there must be a flaw in his logic of wind being heat.

So i said that he is overcomplicating things and that the air particles have a mass.

he said:
Well yes, but the thing moving that air... does it have a mass? Because it is able to move the air, meaning it exerts a force, which Newton's Second Law tells us must mean it has a mass. Although this heat, as I said, energy, so the question is, does energy have mass...?

So he doesn’t actually want to know about wind but the force on wind. i asked him how wind was heat and he couldn’t remember.

so the force that causes wind is the force that causes heat i guess. unless the name of that force is wind. in which case I’m thoroughly confused. I think I need a scientific definition of wind here

so now I'm asking you about your opinion of the force that causes wind being heat and how heat is energy and about the force that causes heat

And also I guess this could be related to convection currents.

Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma applies...

Wind is merely small air particlees moving into your face/body etc. Air has mass.As for convection and generally air movement, there are tons of threads discussing movement of air. Both from a system opint of view and from a particley pov.

brandy said:
If something doesn't have a mass, it cannot have a force...
Net Force is also equal to the rate of change of momentum:

[tex]\mathbf{F} = \frac{d \mathbf{p}}{dt}[/tex]
(first derivative of momentum with respect to time)

For example, photons are massless, but they do possesses momentum and can impart force. The momentum of a photon is equal to Planck's constant divided by the photon wave length:

[tex]p = \frac{h}{\lambda}[/tex]

However, air consists of particles that do have mass so the above doesn't really apply in this case. I just wanted to point out that things without mass can have momentum and cause force and pressure.

my understanding is that hot air rises because it is less dense than air that is colder. which is a change in pressure, which is what causes air particles to move. hence wind. so heat causes wind but that doesn't mean wind is heat.
I'm not a meteorologist but that sounds reasonable. Warmer air rises and cooler air moves into take its place.

Last edited:
Wind is moving air. And, of course, air has mass. Not only the mass of the atoms of Nitrogen and Oxygen, etc. making up the air but small particles of dirt, insects, etc. all have mass.

Wind is the motion of packets of air from a region of high pressure to a region of low pressure, it is the effect, not the cause, of the phenomenon.

[tex]
F = ma = \frac{mv^{2}}{2s} = \frac{V\rho v^{2}}{2s} = \frac{As\rho v^{2}}{2s} = \frac{A\rho v^{2}}{2}
[/tex]

A -- cross-sectional area of region in motion
ρ -- mass density of medium
v -- velocity of region

Further derivation yields algorithms for fluid stress (dynamic pressure) and drag, two very useful concepts.

1. What is the relationship between wind and f=ma?

The relationship between wind and f=ma (force equals mass times acceleration) is that wind is a type of force that can cause an object to accelerate. The magnitude of the force of wind is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the acceleration it experiences.

2. How does wind affect the movement of objects?

Wind affects the movement of objects by exerting a force on them, causing them to accelerate in the direction of the wind. The strength and direction of the wind can determine the speed and trajectory of the object's movement.

3. Can wind be used to generate energy?

Yes, wind can be used to generate energy through the use of wind turbines. The force of the wind causes the blades of the turbine to rotate, which then turns a generator to produce electricity.

4. What factors can affect the force of wind?

The force of wind can be affected by several factors, including the speed of the wind, the density of the air, and the surface area of the object being affected by the wind.

5. How is f=ma used in studying wind patterns?

F=ma is used in studying wind patterns by helping scientists understand the forces at play and how they affect the movement of air masses. This equation allows for the calculation of the acceleration and force of the wind, which can help in predicting and understanding weather patterns.