Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The future of technology in Sci Fi

1. Sep 6, 2016 #1
    I would really like to hear from everyone about their favorite sci fi gadget or tech. That could or has become a real life gadget or tech. For example the star trek communicator was the base idea for the flip cell phone. Also if the gadget or tech had not been invented yet you can share any ideas of how you would make it work.
    :-p:cool:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I always liked the Star Trek tricorder and tried to build one when I was a kid and while in college. However, I had limited funds and the tech was at the TTL logic packaging phase.

Today though and smart phone could handle most of the features except for some the external sensor stuff like life form detection. I've seen apps that simulate the life form feature via smart phone detection but since animals don't typically carry phones it gets lost in translation.

I also liked the commmunicator on the TV show Earth: FInal Conflict:

https://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/EarthFinalConflictGlobal.jpg

For other tech, I always wanted a hitech lightweight survival backpack that doesn't slump on your shoulders. By hitech, I'd like it to have integrated electronics, self charging with beaconing and mobile hotspot capability in case cell tech fails that others can still communicate with people nearby. It can't weight more that 20 pounds but would carry many essential items including backups of certain ones like a pocket knife / utility tool.

I've seen people build bugout bags but its with regular survival gear but I was thinking more about hitech gear too that could help in an emergency. Backup power and weight are always the issues though.

4. Sep 6, 2016 #3
    FTL drives.

5. Sep 6, 2016 #4
    have any ideas on how to make one

6. Sep 6, 2016 #5

Ryan_m_b

Universal translators seem set to jump from fiction to reality. I've played around with the google translate app and it's pretty cool how it can translate text in real-time through the camera (even trying to keep the same font) and spoken word through the mic. There are even earbuds that promise to do the same thing:
    http://www.waverlylabs.com/

It's entirely possible that within the next few years, maybe decade, everyone will be multilingual. Just stick in your headphones, activate your phones translator and chat to anyone.

7. Sep 6, 2016 #6

jedishrfu

One thing to be aware of here is that if someone does have a means to create some sci-fi future tech then they shouldn't discuss it on PF or anywhere else publicly because it has the potential of destroying patentable claims to some of its ideas.

8. Sep 6, 2016 #7
    Damn it, Jim! I'm a historian, not a physicist!

:smile:

9. Sep 6, 2016 #8
    My wife was telling me about a man and woman who met at a ComiCon. She was from France and spoke no English. He was an American and spoke no English. Just American. But they did have language in common, Klingon. They used that to communicate until they learned each other's language, and got married.

/anecdote.

10. Sep 6, 2016 #9

jedishrfu

How'd you know his name was Jim?

11. Sep 6, 2016 #10
    I work for No Such Agency.

12. Sep 8, 2016 #11

DHF

I read about a very similar story in the 90s, An American Tourist and Japanese Tourist, I forgot which country they were visiting but they discovered that they both spoke Klingon and communicated that way without knowing each others' native tongue.

13. Sep 8, 2016 #12

DHF

My favourite Tech would be perfect insulation. I forget what movie it was from but there is a scene where the character reaches into a cupboard and takes out a packet that is seemingly at room temperature, he opens it and pours steaming hot coffee into his cup.
    I remember not being very impressed with the movie ( I think it was a zombie flick) but that scene left an impression.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2016
  14. Sep 8, 2016 #13
    It's the lingua spankya of nerds.

15. Sep 8, 2016 #14
    Perfect insulation?

16. Sep 8, 2016 #15
    you know there are ways to pull that trick off now think of hand warmers and the self cook food rachens that the military uses

17. Sep 8, 2016 #16

BillTre

Science Advisor

Reminds me of the NegEntropy wells of Dune books.

18. Sep 9, 2016 #17

DHF

Yes, Insulation, Bloody Auto correct. Thanks for catching that. Editing now.
    ok well tried to edit but I guess it has been too long. oh well.

19. Sep 9, 2016 #18

Ryan_m_b

Fixed

20. Sep 9, 2016 #19

DHF

yeah there are ways to simulate the effect but what was shown in the scene was a thin foil like material that some how managed to trap 100% of the heat of the hot coffee and keep it perfectly contained for seemingly weeks or maybe months. Also it somehow managed not to expand from the steam coming off the coffee. Purely magicTech for sure but if possible it would be a real game changer and I think demonstrating something like that would be more ground breaking then Warp drive.

21. Sep 9, 2016 #20

DHF

Thanks Ryan.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted