Will Quantum Mechanics & Relativity Stand the Test of Time?

In summary, it is possible that a future theory may disprove quantum mechanics and relativity or one of them, as history has shown with theories such as Newtonian mechanics and Aristotle's theories. However, it is important to remember that all physical theories are inventions of the human mind and are limited by our sensory perceptions. Therefore, the "correctness" of a theory is subjective and dependent on satisfying one's curiosity. For some, the discovery of the Higgs boson may satisfy their curiosity, but for others, a complete understanding of the universe may require a unification of GR and QM, as well as an explanation for dark energy and dark matter.
|mathematix|
Is it possible that a future theory disproves quantum mechanics and relativity or one of them?
People were convinced that Newtonian mechanics was correct and worked but relativity showed that it only works at low velocities etc...

Physics news on Phys.org
We already know that relativity and QM are "incorrect". They contradict each other in certain situations, so there must be a deeper theory that corrects this.

There is a difference between disproving a theory and showing that the theory only works in certain limiting cases; relativity never disproved classical mechanics it just showed that classical mechanics has a restricted domain of applicability. On the other hand we certainly disproved many of Aristotle's ridiculous "theories" of physics. QM makes brilliantly accurate predictions within its currently applicable domain so a replacement theory wouldn't disprove it but rather improve on it; whether or not that improvement comes with a paradigm shift is something that might be known in the future.

|mathematix| said:
Is it possible that a future theory disproves quantum mechanics and relativity or one of them?
People were convinced that Newtonian mechanics was correct and worked but relativity showed that it only works at low velocities etc...

It's important to keep in mind that ALL physical theories or theories in general are inventions of the human mind. They are attempts to formalize, largely through mathematics, the manner in which external sensory stimuli affect the sensory systems of the brain. The job of the brain is to take that those patterns of sensory stimulation and construct a mathematical model that relates the trajectory or evolution of a given sensory event with other sensory events. The better the model predicts how we experience future sensory events, the better the model is said to be. It is unlikely that there will ever be a patently "correct" model as all models are simply facsimiles of what we cannot know since all we can know is our interpretation of what our sensory systems tell our conscious mind. So that's the take home point.

An old friend of mine, David Galin at UCSF, wrote an article once that has continued to resonate with me throughout the years. In this article, he mentions that people seek an explanation to phenomena only to a degree that satisfies their level of curiosity. That was really profound for me because at the time I thought in absolutes. Just like your question. There is an answer to this. Is this the "right" theory. What is the truth, etc. Unfortunately, its not that easy. We sit around PF talking about dark matter and gauge symmetry because that's the level of understanding we seek to sate our curiosity. However, all the guy at the pulpit needs to know is that God did it this way or that. That's fine for him. Who are we to say he's "wrong." Again, it's not that easy.

We should take a poll and see how many PF-ers think that everything is now hunky dory cause we found the Higgs boson. Standard model's complete (except for gravity). I don't know. My curiosity isn't satisfied. I think I'll know when that time comes, but the Higgs boson didn't do it. The state of QM isn't doing it, GR is certainly close, but in the end for me it's going to take a story, a story starting at the big bang, explaining dark energy, dark matter, unifying GR and QM, and taking the roll out of Bohr's dice. Other physicists may have their own criterion which differs from mine. But that's OK.

Btw, here's the link to my friend's article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/280216

I cannot definitively say whether quantum mechanics and relativity will stand the test of time. However, based on current evidence and the extensive research and experimentation that has gone into these theories, it is highly unlikely that they will be completely disproven by a future theory.

It is important to remember that scientific theories are constantly evolving and being refined as new evidence and technologies become available. Therefore, it is possible that future theories may build upon or modify aspects of quantum mechanics and relativity, but it is highly unlikely that they will be completely disproven.

Furthermore, both quantum mechanics and relativity have been extensively tested and have consistently shown to accurately describe and predict physical phenomena. This level of success and consistency is not easily achieved, and it provides strong evidence for the validity and robustness of these theories.

In addition, both quantum mechanics and relativity have been used to make successful predictions in a wide range of fields, from particle physics to cosmology. This further strengthens their credibility and makes it less likely for them to be disproven by a future theory.

In conclusion, while it is always important to question and challenge existing theories, the evidence and success of quantum mechanics and relativity suggest that they will continue to be fundamental pillars of modern physics for the foreseeable future.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics and Relativity?

Quantum Mechanics and Relativity are two fundamental theories in physics that describe the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic and macroscopic level, respectively. Quantum Mechanics explains the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, while Relativity explains the behavior of objects at a larger scale, such as planets and galaxies.

2. How do Quantum Mechanics and Relativity relate to each other?

Quantum Mechanics and Relativity are both accepted theories in physics, but they have different domains of applicability. Quantum Mechanics is used to explain the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, while Relativity is used to describe the behavior of objects at a macroscopic level. However, both theories are necessary for a complete understanding of the physical world.

3. What is meant by "standing the test of time"?

In science, a theory is considered to have stood the test of time if it has consistently been supported by empirical evidence and has not been disproven by new experiments or observations. Essentially, it means that the theory has remained a valid and accurate explanation for phenomena over an extended period of time.

4. Are there any challenges to Quantum Mechanics and Relativity?

While Quantum Mechanics and Relativity have been well-supported by experiments and observations, there are still open questions and challenges that scientists are working to address. For example, the two theories have not yet been reconciled into a single framework, and there are discrepancies between them at certain scales, such as the behavior of gravity at a quantum level.

5. Will Quantum Mechanics and Relativity always be considered valid theories?

It is impossible to predict the future with certainty, but as of now, Quantum Mechanics and Relativity are considered to be highly successful and accurate theories. However, as new discoveries are made and our understanding of the universe evolves, it is possible that modifications or even new theories may be developed to better explain the physical world.