The Gauss Bonnet Lagrangian and the conserved current

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the Hilbert action with an added Gauss-Bonnet term. The Lagrangian is expressed in terms of a scalar density and variations of the Lagrangian are written in terms of equations of motion and a conserved current. The main question is how to calculate the conserved current for this particular Lagrangian. Various identities and variations are used to derive the equations, and it is mentioned that a nifty trick may be needed to simplify the calculations. The conversation ends with the promise of further assistance and a discussion on the standard Gauss-Bonnet equations for the gravitational field.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi,

I have a computational question about the Hilbert action with an added Gauss-Bonnet term. The Lagrangian L ( seen here as a scalar density) then looks like this:

[tex]
L = {\cal L} \sqrt{g} = \Bigl(R+ R_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}R^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} - 4R_{\mu\nu}R^{\mu\nu} + R^{2}\Bigr)\sqrt{g}
[/tex]

We can always write the variation of the Lagrangian as

[tex]
\delta L &=& E^{\mu\nu} \delta g_{\mu\nu} + \nabla_{\rho}\Theta^{\rho}
[/tex]

Here, the E represents the equation of motion and the [tex]\Theta[/tex] is the conserved current if E=0. The idea now is to regard coordinate transformations and derive the conserved current. So my question is: how do we calculate this current for the particular Lagrangian given above? I used the following identities:

[tex]
R^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}\delta R_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} &=& g^{\lambda\alpha}R^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}R_{\mu\nu\rho\alpha}\delta g_{\sigma\lambda} + 2R^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}\nabla_{\mu}\nabla_{\rho}\delta g_{\sigma\nu}
[/tex]

[tex]
R^{\mu\nu}\delta R_{\mu\nu} &=& g^{\alpha\beta}R_{\alpha\mu\beta\nu}\Bigl(\nabla_{\lambda}\delta\Gamma^{\lambda}_{\mu\nu} - \nabla_{\nu}\delta\Gamma^{\lambda}_{\mu\lambda}\Bigr)
[/tex]

[tex]
R\delta R &=& R\na_{\alpha}\Bigl(g^{\mu\nu}\delta\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\nu} - g^{\mu\alpha}\delta\Gamma^{\lambda}_{\mu\lambda}\Bigr) - R\ R^{\mu\nu}\delta g_{\mu\nu}
[/tex]

The total variation reads

[tex]
\delta L = \Bigl(2R^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}\delta R_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} - 8 R^{\mu\nu}\delta R_{\mu\nu}\ + 2R\delta R \ + \frac{1}{2} {\cal L}\ g^{\mu\nu}\delta g_{\mu\nu}\Bigr)
[/tex]

So what I did was to plug in those variations, collect the terms proportional to the variation in the metric and called this E, and collect the terms proportional to derivatives of the variations of the metric and this should be equal to [tex]\nabla_{\alpha}\Theta^{\alpha} [/tex]. So what I got is

[tex]
E^{\alpha\beta} =\sqrt{g}\Bigl(2R^{\mu\nu\rho\alpha}R_{\mu\nu\rho}^{\ \ \ \ \beta} - (2R+1)R^{\alpha\beta} + \frac{1}{2} {\cal L}\ g^{\mu\nu}\Bigr)
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\nabla_{\alpha}\Theta^{\alpha} = 4R^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}\nabla_{\mu}\nabla_{\rho}\delta g_{\sigma\nu} - 8 R^{\mu\nu}(\nabla_{\alpha}\delta\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\nu} - \nabla_{\nu}\delta\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\alpha}) + (2R+1)g^{\mu\nu}(\nabla_{\alpha}\delta\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\nu} - \nabla_{\nu}\delta\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\alpha})
[/tex]

In the case of the Hilbert action, I know how to deal with the term

[tex]
g^{\mu\nu}(\nabla_{\alpha}\delta\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\nu} - \nabla_{\nu}\delta\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\alpha}) \equiv \nabla_{\alpha}X^{\alpha}
[/tex]

if I define

[tex]
X^{\alpha} \equiv \Bigl(g^{\mu\nu}\delta\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\nu} - g^{\mu\alpha}\delta\Gamma^{\lambda}_{\mu\lambda}\Bigr)
[/tex]

So these kind of terms I can handle, and as far I can see I'm left with showing that

[tex]
\nabla_{\alpha}\tilde{\Theta}^{\alpha} = 4R^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}\nabla_{\mu}\nabla_{\rho}\delta g_{\sigma\nu} - 2 X^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}R - 8 R^{\mu\nu}(\nabla_{\alpha}\delta\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\nu} -\nabla_{\nu}\delta\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\alpha})
[/tex]

after some rewriting with the product rule.

Can anyone comment on this, show me where/if I made some errors, and how to proceed? Should I plug in the explicit variation

[tex]
\delta_{\xi} g_{\mu\nu} = 2 \nabla_{(\mu}\xi_{\nu)}
[/tex]

for the variation in the metric, or do I need to do something else? I couldn't find any useful articles about this, so I hope someone here can help me ! Regards,

Haushofer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not at all clear what you want to do. Are you asking how to derive the field equations from a Gauss-Bonnet Lagrangian?

Well, I want to vary the Lagrangian, to obtain one part that comprehends my equations of motion for the metric, and one part that comprehends my divergence of [tex]\Theta[/tex].

The Gauss-Bonnet term is called a topological invariant, so I have the suspicion that adding the Gauss-Bonnet term to my Hilbert action doesn't add anything to my field equations ( the variation of the metric is then considered to be the homeomorphism which leaves the Gauss-Bonnet term invariant ), and that the variation of the Gauss-Bonnet term is a total derivative. Is that correct? But that's not quite clear from my considerations given above. I have the feeling that a nifty trick is needed because my calculations are quite messy.

I'm unsure of what benefit the divergence terms will be to you. It's straightforward to vary the action with respect to the metric to give you terms that are proportional to the metric, plus terms that involve variations of the curvature tensors with respect to the metric. Partial integration (and accepting, say, that your manifold has no boundary) then gives you the standard Gauss-Bonnet equations for the gravitational field.

It's been a while since I've done the calculations. Give me a bit and I'll run through them for you; hopefully I'll be able to post something back this evening.

That would be very nice, thanks !

1. What is the Gauss Bonnet Lagrangian and how is it related to the conserved current?

The Gauss Bonnet Lagrangian is a mathematical expression used in the study of differential geometry and quantum field theory. It is a combination of the Ricci scalar and the Euler characteristic of a curved space or manifold. The conserved current, on the other hand, is a physical quantity that is conserved over time due to the underlying symmetries of a system. The Gauss Bonnet Lagrangian is related to the conserved current through the Noether's theorem, which states that for every continuous symmetry of a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved current.

2. What is the significance of the conserved current in physics?

The conserved current is a fundamental concept in physics that plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of physical systems. It helps us to identify the symmetries and conservation laws of a system, which are essential in predicting and understanding its dynamics. In many cases, the conserved current can also be used to derive important physical quantities, such as energy and momentum, from the underlying symmetries of a system.

3. How does the Gauss Bonnet Lagrangian contribute to our understanding of gravity?

The Gauss Bonnet Lagrangian is a useful tool in studying the behavior of gravity in curved spacetime. It allows us to incorporate the effects of both the curvature of space and the topology of space into our understanding of gravity. This is particularly important in theories of gravity, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity, where the curvature of space is directly related to the distribution of matter and energy.

4. Can the Gauss Bonnet Lagrangian and conserved current be applied to other areas of physics?

Yes, the Gauss Bonnet Lagrangian and conserved current have applications in various areas of physics, including quantum field theory, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. In quantum field theory, they are used to study the behavior of particles and fields in curved spacetime. In condensed matter physics, they are applied to systems with topological properties, such as topological insulators. In cosmology, they are used to study the evolution of the universe and the behavior of matter and energy on a large scale.

5. Are there any open questions or controversies surrounding the Gauss Bonnet Lagrangian and conserved current?

Yes, there are ongoing debates and research on the exact role and implications of the Gauss Bonnet Lagrangian and conserved current in various areas of physics. Some of the open questions include the application of these concepts to higher dimensions, their role in theories of gravity beyond general relativity, and their connection to other fundamental theories such as string theory. Additionally, there are also debates on the validity and applicability of the Gauss Bonnet Lagrangian and conserved current in different physical systems and scenarios.