1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conserved Noether current under U(1) symmetry of some Lagrangian

1. Apr 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The motion of a complex field ##\psi(x)## is governed by the Lagrangian ##\mathcal{L} = \partial_{\mu}\psi^{*}\partial^{\mu}\psi-m^{2}\psi^{*}\psi-\frac{\lambda}{2}(\psi^{*}\psi)^{2}##.

Write down the Euler-Lagrange field equations for this system.

Verify that the Lagrangian is invariant under the infinitesimal transformation ##\delta \psi = i \alpha \psi, \delta \psi^{*} = - i \alpha \psi^{*}##

Derive the Noether current associated with this transformation and verify explicitly that it is conserved using the field equations satisfied by ##\psi##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##\mathcal{L} = \partial_{\mu}\psi^{*}\partial^{\mu}\psi-m^{2}\psi^{*}\psi-\frac{\lambda}{2}(\psi^{*}\psi)^{2}##

Here's my derivation of the Euler-Lagrange field equations:

##\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \psi} = -m^{2}\psi^{*}-\lambda (\psi^{*}\psi)\psi^{*}##

and

##\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\rho}\psi)} = \frac{\partial}{\partial (\partial_{\rho}\psi)} \Big( \partial_{\mu}\psi^{*}\partial^{\mu}\psi \Big)= \frac{\partial}{\partial (\partial_{\rho}\psi)} \Big( \eta^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*}\partial_{\nu}\psi \Big)=\eta^{\mu\nu}\frac{\partial}{\partial (\partial_{\rho}\psi)} \Big( \partial_{\mu}\psi^{*}\partial_{\nu}\psi \Big)=\eta^{\mu\nu}{\eta^{\rho}}_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*}={\eta^{\rho}}_{\nu}\eta^{\nu\mu}\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*}=\partial^{\rho}\psi^{*}##

so that

##\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \psi} - \partial_{\mu}\Big(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi)}\Big)=0##

##-m^{2}\psi^{*}-\lambda(\psi^{*}\psi)\psi^{*}-\partial^{2}\psi^{*}=0##

##(\partial^{2}+m^{2}+\lambda|\psi|^{2})\psi^{*}=0##

Furthermore,

##\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \psi^{*}} = -m^{2}\psi-\lambda (\psi^{*}\psi)\psi##

and

##\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\rho}\psi^{*})} = \frac{\partial}{\partial (\partial_{\rho}\psi^{*})} \Big( \partial_{\mu}\psi^{*}\partial^{\mu}\psi \Big)={\eta^{\rho}}_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}\psi=\partial^{\rho}\psi##

so that

##\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \psi^{*}} - \partial_{\mu}\Big(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*})}\Big)=0##

##-m^{2}\psi-\lambda(\psi^{*}\psi)\psi-\partial^{2}\psi=0##

##(\partial^{2}+m^{2}+\lambda|\psi|^{2})\psi=0##

Am I correct so far?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It looks right to me.

4. Apr 24, 2016 #3
    Thanks!

Next, I need to verify that the Lagrangian is invariant under the infinitesimal transformation ##\delta \psi = i \alpha \psi, \delta \psi^{*} = - i \alpha \psi^{*}##.

Therefore,

##\mathcal{L} = \partial_{\mu}\psi^{*}\partial^{\mu}\psi-m^{2}\psi^{*}\psi-\frac{\lambda}{2}(\psi^{*}\psi)^{2}##
    ##\implies \delta\mathcal{L} = \delta(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*}\partial^{\mu}\psi-m^{2}\psi^{*}\psi-\frac{\lambda}{2}(\psi^{*}\psi)^{2})##
    ##\implies \delta\mathcal{L} = \partial_{\mu}(\delta\psi^{*})(\partial^{\mu}\psi)+(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*})\partial^{\mu}(\delta\psi)-m^{2}\psi(\delta\psi^{*})-m^{2}\psi^{*}(\delta\psi)-\lambda|\psi|^{2}\psi^{*}\delta\psi-\lambda|\psi|^{2}\psi\delta\psi^{*}##
    ##\implies \delta\mathcal{L} = \partial_{\mu}(-i\alpha \psi^{*})(\partial^{\mu}\psi)+(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*})\partial^{\mu}(i\alpha\psi)-m^{2}\psi(-i\alpha\psi^{*})-m^{2}\psi^{*}(i\alpha\psi)-\lambda|\psi|^{2}\psi^{*}(i\alpha\psi)-\lambda|\psi|^{2}\psi(-i\alpha\psi^{*})##
    ##\implies \delta\mathcal{L} = -i\alpha(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*})(\partial^{\mu}\psi)+i\alpha(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*})(\partial^{\mu}\psi)+i\alpha(m^{2}\psi\psi^{*})-i\alpha(m^{2}\psi^{*}\psi)-i\alpha(\lambda|\psi|^{2}\psi^{*}\psi)+i\alpha(\lambda|\psi|^{2}\psi\psi^{*})##
    ##\implies \delta\mathcal{L} = 0##, due to pairwise cancellation.

So, the Lagrangian ##\mathcal{L} = \partial_{\mu}\psi^{*}\partial^{\mu}\psi-m^{2}\psi^{*}\psi-\frac{\lambda}{2}(\psi^{*}\psi)^{2}## is invariant under the infinitesimal transformation ##\delta \psi = i \alpha \psi, \delta \psi^{*} = - i \alpha \psi^{*}##.

Is my working correct?

5. Apr 24, 2016 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes.

6. Apr 24, 2016 #5
    Thanks!

Finally, I need to derive the Noether current ##j^{\mu}## associated with the infinitesimal transformation ##\delta \psi = i \alpha \psi, \delta \psi^{*} = - i \alpha \psi^{*}## and verify explicitly that the Noether current ##j^{\mu}## is conserved using the field equations ##(\partial^{2}+m^{2}+\lambda|\psi|^{2})\psi=0## and ##(\partial^{2}+m^{2}+\lambda|\psi|^{2})\psi^{*}=0## satisfied by ##\psi##.

##\delta\mathcal{L}=\frac{\delta\mathcal{L}}{\delta\psi}\delta\psi+\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi)}\partial_{\mu}(\delta\psi)+\frac{\delta\mathcal{L}}{\delta\psi^{*}}\delta\psi^{*}+\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*})}\partial_{\mu}(\delta\psi^{*})##
    ##\implies \delta\mathcal{L}=\frac{\delta\mathcal{L}}{\delta\psi}\delta\psi+\partial_{\mu}\Big(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi)}\delta\psi\Big)-\partial_{\mu}\Big(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi)}\Big)\delta\psi+\frac{\delta\mathcal{L}}{\delta\psi^{*}}\delta\psi^{*}+\partial_{\mu}\Big(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*})}\delta\psi^{*}\Big)-\partial_{\mu}\Big(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*})}\Big)\delta\psi^{*}##
    ##\implies \delta\mathcal{L}=\partial_{\mu}\Big[\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi)}\delta\psi+\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*})}\delta\psi^{*}\Big]##
    ##\implies \partial_{\mu}\Big[\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi)}\delta\psi+\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*})}\delta\psi^{*}\Big]=0##
    ##\implies j^{\mu} = \frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi)}\delta\psi+\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*})}\delta\psi^{*}##
    ##\implies j^{\mu} = (\partial^{\mu}\psi^{*})(i\alpha\psi)+(\partial^{\mu}\psi)(-i\alpha\psi^{*})##
    ##\implies j^{\mu} = i\alpha (\psi(\partial^{\mu}\psi^{*})-\psi^{*}(\partial^{\mu}\psi))##

and

##\partial_{\mu}j^{\mu}=i\alpha\partial_{\mu}[\psi(\partial^{\mu}\psi^{*})-\psi^{*}(\partial^{\mu}\psi)]##
    ##\implies \partial_{\mu}j^{\mu}=i\alpha[(\partial_{\mu}\psi)(\partial^{\mu}\psi^{*})+\psi(\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}\psi^{*})-(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*})(\partial^{\mu}\psi)-\psi^{*}(\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}\psi)]##
    ##\implies \partial_{\mu}j^{\mu}=i\alpha[(\partial_{\mu}\psi)(\partial^{\mu}\psi^{*})+\psi(-m^{2}-\lambda|\psi|^{2})\psi^{*}-(\partial_{\mu}\psi^{*})(\partial^{\mu}\psi)-\psi^{*}(-m^{2}-\lambda|\psi|^{2})\psi]##
    ##\implies \partial_{\mu}j^{\mu}=0##, due to pairwise cancellation.

Are my answers correct?

7. Apr 24, 2016 #6

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think that's all correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted