Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Noether's theoem and conserved current arbitrariness

1. Apr 20, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I have a question about conserved currents. Suppose that we have a Lagrangian which is perfectly invariant under a certain infinitesimal transformation of the field ##\phi\to\phi+\alpha\Delta\phi##, i.e. ##\mathcal{L}\to\mathcal{L}##. Now, more generally, the Lagrangian should be invariant up to a total divergence, ##\mathcal{L}\to\mathcal{L}+\alpha\partial_\mu\mathcal{J}^\mu##. This means that in our case ##\partial_\mu\mathcal{J}^\mu=0## and so ##\mathcal{J}^\mu## could be any aribtrary function with vanishing divergence.

Now, the general form for the conserved current is:
    $$
    j_\mu(x)=\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial^\mu\phi)}\Delta\phi-\mathcal{J}_\mu.
    $$

Suppose now that the first term has zero divergence as well because of the equation of motion. Now, it seems to me that in this case, I could simply set the current to be zero by choosing ##\mathcal{J}^\mu=\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial^\mu\phi)}\Delta\phi## since this indeed satisfies ##\partial^\mu\mathcal{J}_\mu=0##.

Am I doing something wrong or is this indeed the case?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2015 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Apr 21, 2015 #3

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

If the transformation [itex]\phi \to \phi + \delta \phi[/itex] leaves some Lagrangian invariant (off-shell): [itex]\mathcal{L} \to \mathcal{L}[/itex] (or [itex]\delta \mathcal{L} = 0[/itex]), then you have (on-shell) conserved current of the form [tex]J^{\mu} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial ( \partial_{\mu} \phi )} \ \delta \phi ,[/tex] and the transformation is an INTERNAL symmetry transformation. If, under some transformation [itex]\Delta \phi[/itex] the Lagrangian change (off-shell) by a total divergence of some object [itex]\Lambda^{\mu}[/itex]: [itex]\delta \mathcal{L} = \partial_{\mu} \Lambda^{\mu}[/itex], then the (on-shell) conserved current is given by [tex]J^{\mu} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial ( \partial_{\mu} \phi )} \ \Delta \phi - \Lambda^{\mu} ,[/tex] and the transformation [itex]\Delta \phi[/itex] is SPACE-TIME symmetry transformation. The object [itex]\Lambda^{\mu}[/itex] IS NOT arbitrary. How can it be arbitrary? It is what you get when you transform the Lagrangian. So, [itex]\Lambda^{\mu}[/itex] depends on the Lagrangian, and you can not choose it arbitrarily. For example, under the translation [itex]\Delta \phi = - a^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \phi[/itex], the Lagrangian transforms like [itex]\delta \mathcal{L} = \partial_{\mu} ( a^{\mu} \mathcal{L} )[/itex]. So, [itex]\Lambda^{\mu} = a^{\mu} \mathcal{L}[/itex]. Is this arbitrary? You are confusing the two type of transformation with the freedom to add a divergence term into the Lagrangian. See, the discussion on pages 7-8 in the PHD below.
    Sam

Attached Files:

5. Apr 21, 2015 #4
    Yes, I understand now. Thanks you very much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook