1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Graph About Torque And Mass

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1
    Hi i am having a problem that i don't understand.
    i on a lab i must present the relationship of torque mass distance from the axis. the problem is how can i graph the graph with the mass of the object is the slope. this is really urgen! Please help me!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume you are hanging a mass at various distances from a point and somehow measuring the resulting torque. If you graph torque versus distance, the slope wil be proportional to mass, but there are other factors contributing to the slope. Look at the definition of torque. What forces are involved in your experiment?
  4. Oct 28, 2006 #3
    Hmm, Torque should actually be directly proportional, provided you make other variables constant, like distance. In fact, the gradient should be the product of g and the distance. Hence, you can get different lines with different greadients if you perform the same experiment with different distances. A steeper line means greater distance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?