The Graph About Torque And Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with graphing torque in relation to mass and distance from a point. The slope of the graph is affected by factors such as gravitational force and distance, and may vary depending on the experiment. The individual is seeking help in understanding how to properly graph the relationship.
WARGREYMONKKTL
Hi i am having a problem that i don't understand.
i on a lab i must present the relationship of torque mass distance from the axis. the problem is how can i graph the graph with the mass of the object is the slope. this is really urgen! Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
WARGREYMONKKTL said:
Hi i am having a problem that i don't understand.
i on a lab i must present the relationship of torque mass distance from the axis. the problem is how can i graph the graph with the mass of the object is the slope. this is really urgen! Please help me!
I assume you are hanging a mass at various distances from a point and somehow measuring the resulting torque. If you graph torque versus distance, the slope wil be proportional to mass, but there are other factors contributing to the slope. Look at the definition of torque. What forces are involved in your experiment?

Hmm, Torque should actually be directly proportional, provided you make other variables constant, like distance. In fact, the gradient should be the product of g and the distance. Hence, you can get different lines with different greadients if you perform the same experiment with different distances. A steeper line means greater distance.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N*m).

How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula is T = F * r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance.

What is the relationship between torque and mass?

The relationship between torque and mass is that the greater the mass of an object, the greater the torque required to rotate it. This is because the force needed to overcome the inertia of a heavier object is greater.

How does the graph about torque and mass demonstrate this relationship?

The graph shows a positive correlation between torque and mass, meaning that as mass increases, torque also increases. This is represented by a line with a positive slope on the graph.

What other factors can affect torque?

Other factors that can affect torque include the length of the lever arm (the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied), the direction of the force, and the angle at which the force is applied.