What causes the gravitational redshift phenomenon?

That means that the wavelength of any type of wave will appear to be longer in a stronger gravitational field.
eVulcanon
The item of gravitational redshift in the WIKIpedia says that this redshift is referred to the light of others forms of electromagnetic waves. This puzzles me. Other waves except electromagnetic waves have not this phenomenon, like sonic wave ? Is the gravitational redshift a result of gravitational time dilation? Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
your english is incomprehensible. how about a quote from wikipedia

what is the meaning of the nost incomprihensive thing about the universe is that it is comprihensive give detail meanig of it

“In physics, light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation of a certain wavelength originating from a source placed in a region of stronger gravitational field (and which could be said to have climbed "uphill" out of a gravity well) will be found to be of longer wavelength when received by an observer in a region of weaker gravitational field.”

This is from the wikipedia. Sorry my English poor, so I can not express myself correctly.
I want to know whether the gravitational redshift is just about the electromagnetic waves?

Thx.

Gravitational redshift applies to all types of waves. Its the result of time moving more slowly deeper in a gravity well.

What is "The gravitational redshift"?

The gravitational redshift is a phenomenon in which light is shifted to longer wavelengths (lower energy) when it is emitted from a source located in a strong gravitational field, such as near a massive object like a planet or star.

How is "The gravitational redshift" related to gravity?

The gravitational redshift is directly related to gravity because the strength of the gravitational field affects the energy of photons (particles of light). In a strong gravitational field, the energy of photons is reduced, causing a shift towards longer wavelengths.

What causes "The gravitational redshift"?

The main cause of the gravitational redshift is the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of a massive object. This curvature alters the path of light, causing it to lose energy and shift towards longer wavelengths.

How is "The gravitational redshift" measured?

The gravitational redshift can be measured by comparing the wavelengths of light emitted from a source located in a strong gravitational field to those emitted from the same source in a weaker gravitational field. The difference in wavelength between the two measurements is the gravitational redshift.

What are the applications of "The gravitational redshift"?

The gravitational redshift has several applications in astrophysics, including measuring the masses of distant objects, studying the effects of strong gravitational fields on light, and testing Einstein's theory of general relativity. It also has practical applications in satellite communication and GPS technology.