Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The gravitational redshift

1. Jun 18, 2009 #1
    The item of gravitational redshift in the WIKIpedia says that this redshift is referred to the light of others forms of electromagnetic waves. This puzzles me. Other waves except electromagnetic waves have not this phenomenon, like sonic wave ? Is the gravitational redshift a result of gravitational time dilation? Thx

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2009 #2
    your english is incomprehensible. how about a quote from wikipedia

4. Jun 19, 2009 #3
    what is the meaning of the nost incomprihensive thing about the universe is that it is comprihensive give detail meanig of it

5. Jun 19, 2009 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Jun 20, 2009 #5
    “In physics, light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation of a certain wavelength originating from a source placed in a region of stronger gravitational field (and which could be said to have climbed "uphill" out of a gravity well) will be found to be of longer wavelength when received by an observer in a region of weaker gravitational field.”

This is from the wikipedia. Sorry my English poor, so I can not express myself correctly.
    I wanna know whether the gravitational redshift is just about the electromagnetic waves?

Thx.

7. Jun 20, 2009 #6
    Gravitational redshift applies to all types of waves. Its the result of time moving more slowly deeper in a gravity well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook