The Hilbert space L²([0,2pi], R) and Fourier series.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of proving that the set E={sin(nx), cos(nx): n in N u {0}} is a maximal orthonormal basis for the Hilbert space L²([0,2pi], R). The speaker is unsure of how to show that E is maximal using relevant characterizations such as being a maximal orthonormal set, having a trivial orthogonal complement, or having a dense span.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Is there a way to prove that E={sin(nx), cos(nx): n in N u {0}} is a maximal orthonormal basis for the Hilbert space L²([0,2pi], R) of square integrable functions (actually the equivalence classes "modulo equal almost everywhere" of the square integrable functions)?

I mean, I am asking if we can show directly, using the definition or some other characterization, that E is a Hilbert space basis for L², so that we can conclude that L² functions are equal to their Fourier series. In other words, we can't use the fact that L² functions converge to their Fourier series to show that E is maximal.

Homework Equations

Relevant characterizations of "E is a hilbert space basis" that I am aware of:

(1) E is a maximal orthonormal set
(2) the orthogonal complement of E is trivial
(3) the span of E is dense

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused about proving that E is a maximal orthonormal set. It seems like this would require showing that any new function we add to the set, which is orthogonal to all of the elements in the set, must be equal to 0 almost everywhere. Is there a way to show this? I am also not sure how to use (2) or (3) to prove E is a basis. For (2), I'm not sure how to show that the orthogonal complement of E is trivial without knowing something about the Fourier series expansion. For (3), I'm not sure how to show that the span of E is dense without using the fact that L² functions converge to their Fourier series.

1. What is a Hilbert space L²([0,2pi], R)?

Hilbert space L²([0,2pi], R) is a mathematical concept used in functional analysis to describe a space of square integrable functions on the interval [0,2pi]. It is a complete vector space equipped with an inner product operation, making it a useful tool for studying functions and their properties.

2. How is L²([0,2pi], R) related to Fourier series?

L²([0,2pi], R) is the space in which Fourier series are defined. The basis elements of this space are the periodic functions sin(nx) and cos(nx), which are used to represent a given function in terms of a series of sine and cosine terms. This allows for the approximation of functions and the analysis of their properties.

3. What is the significance of the interval [0,2pi] in L²([0,2pi], R)?

The interval [0,2pi] is significant because it represents a full period of the trigonometric functions sin(nx) and cos(nx). This means that any function in L²([0,2pi], R) can be represented as a periodic function with a period of 2pi, making Fourier series a useful tool for studying periodic phenomena.

4. What are some applications of L²([0,2pi], R) and Fourier series?

L²([0,2pi], R) and Fourier series have a wide range of applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve differential equations, analyze signals and systems, and study the behavior of waves and vibrations, among others. They are also important in the field of digital signal processing and data compression.

5. Is L²([0,2pi], R) limited to functions on the interval [0,2pi]?

No, L²([0,2pi], R) can be extended to include functions on any interval [a,b] through a process called periodic extension. This means that Fourier series can also be used to represent functions on non-periodic intervals, making it a versatile tool in mathematical analysis.