Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The impossible lost city Mega .

1. May 6, 2007 #1
    the impossible lost city "Mega".

We have been there several times:

I have said on several occasions that something unexplanable like this tends to be forgotten as soon as possible. it only fuels crackpots with fantastic Atlantis stories. And if we cannot explain it, it should not exist. Evidence for that attitude is the failure to really exploit this site systematically. Only the discoverers were attempting to do so until their funding dried up.

But ever increasingly harder evidence doesn't go away. New activities here.

What would this evidence mean for a certain pet idea?
    Last edited: May 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2007 #2

Gold Member

WHAT!?!?!?!? :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:
  4. May 8, 2007 #3
    Well, I would say, that's an confirmed recurring observation. For instance for climatology and evidence *against* the explanation of the Pleistocene Ice Ages is the wide spread Northern Hemisphere mega fauna steppe with a dense population of horses, antilopes, lions up until way above the Artic circle in Siberia, oh yes, also mammoths, but weren't those just walking around in a constant blizzard? Ice age movies?

More here: page 4 second half

http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/refuting the Greenland paleo thermometer1.pdf

The disdaining of those animals for the explaination of the ice cores, caused it not to exist in the IPCC reports up until the last assessment report of the IPCC.

There is also something very wrong with the current ideas about isostacy tectonics if Wuchang Wei is right:

So where are all those new studies, called for, 5 years after date? Anybody working on that? Where is the curiousity of science? Cognitive dissonance? If we have no idea what's going on and no clue what to look for and how to tackle it, then it should not exist?

But yesterday (after I wrote that) I received a new promising study about the last glacial termination with the gist: we don't understand a thing of it, falsifying my idea.

It's from Pages Past Global changes:

As usually drop me a PM for sending (>8MB)

Do we finally begin to understand that our interpretation of the proxies of the past is often wrong and that something completely different happened?
    Last edited: May 8, 2007
  5. May 8, 2007 #4

Gold Member

Just a thought about sea level changes... I get the impression that there are a lot of problems with our understanding of vertical crustal movements. As far as I am aware, the jury is still out on how the Lizard ophiollite and SW U.K. batholith came to be uplifted to the height that they are. There is also evidence that mountain building can happen a lot faster than previously thought (link) so perhaps crustal movements rather than absolute sea level change could be responsible.
  6. May 8, 2007 #5
    Thanks, appreciate the link, I'm collecting anonalies. It appears that we may be closing in on scenarios like this:

7. May 8, 2007 #6
    Wtf? So UFOs don't exist because we can't explain them when clearly they do? (and I don't mean aliens, I mean any airborne object that is not identified by scientists or the military. Remember those weird lights over that city somewhere that appeared in some year that haven't been explained at all).

So by your logic your statement that I quoted doesn't exist because I can't explain the logic behind it. THEREFORE YOU DO NOT EXIST!!!!! :surprised :rofl:
  8. May 8, 2007 #7

Gold Member

I think you two may have missed the point of that statement slightly...
  9. May 8, 2007 #8
    What point did I miss?
  10. May 8, 2007 #9

Gold Member

There seems to be a lot of submerged megalithic, sophisticated and presumably prehistoric monumental structures. Here's one off the southern Japanese island of Okinawa.

And India's getting in on the action!

Apparently the straw found mixed with the ceramic building bricks at the site dates (C14) the city to approx. 9500 BP.
    Last edited: May 8, 2007
  11. May 9, 2007 #10
    That's cool stuff, sunken cities a dozen or so fathoms deep are getting increasingly common. The problem with the Cuban site, Mega, is that it's about 2000 feet deep. That's the impossible part as sea levels were supposed not to have risen more than about ~400 feet after the last ice age, while the rise started 19000 years ago.

That's the puzzle.
  12. May 9, 2007 #11

Gold Member

Have any geologists weighed in their opinion on this anomaly? I'm pretty sure they could point to an event that dropped the crust by that amount in that region. Pretty sure but I don't know.:redface:
  13. May 10, 2007 #12
    Not really, that's why I opened with:

The only geologist who described the phenomonon is Manuel Itturalde Vinent, in a web page,

No peer reviewed publication. Nothing.
  14. May 10, 2007 #13
    maybe it slipped off the ocean shelf in some kind of mega landslide??

Disclaimer: note that i know about as much about this case study as i know about the stock market, i.e. nothing.
  15. May 10, 2007 #14
    Problem is that you'd have to come up with a scenario that did not destroy it. So no caldera stuff or slides I'm afraid.

How about a pulsating equator?
  16. May 10, 2007 #15
    I know little to nothing about this subject, but it is very interesting. I suppose a civilization that built this city when the sea level was at its lowest level, the Gulf of Mexico could have been a closed in sea like the Black Sea. If that were so (the Strait of Florida being a land bridge to Cuba) then the Yucatan Channel would be like the Bosporus with two levels of water flow (dense sea water flowing in below less dense fresh water flowing out). As the sea level rose, before the Florida Strait overflowed, Sea water flow in would have become huge. This could have cut a channel under the city of Mega causing it to fall almost intact to its current level.

How does a pulsating equator cause this?
  17. May 10, 2007 #16
  18. May 10, 2007 #17
    One major criticism I have of that diagram, is it says that the ocean volume increases. How in nature does that occur?

Edit: oh yeah, thermal expansion, doh!
    Last edited: May 11, 2007
  19. May 11, 2007 #18
    Well, remember that a sphere has the most volume with the least surface area. If earth changes it's shape towards more spherical with volume remaining constant, then the surface area reduces. So the same amount of water has to be spread out over less surface. Result higher sea levels.
  20. May 11, 2007 #19

Gold Member

For the surface area to change, surely there would be some notable crustal extension and subsequent shortening. Where do you propose this occurs?

edit: also, at what rate do these fluctuations occur? We have techniques good enough to measure the movement of the tectonic plates, so why haven't they picked this up?
  21. May 11, 2007 #20
    Haven't you ever wondered what the cause was of all those parallel East west ridges in the Atlantic perpendicular to the Mid Atlantic ridge? How about the deep N/S rifts in the pacific
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?