The initial speed of two moving bodies given an increment of velocity.

In summary, Car A has twice the mass of Car B but only half as much Ek (Kinetic Energy). When both cars increase their speed by 6.00m/s their resulting Ek's are equal. The initial speeds of both cars were ANS 1= 4.24m/s and ANS 2= 2.12 m/s.
LiamC
Car A has twice the mass of Car B but only half as much Ek (Kinetic Energy).
When both cars increase their speed by 6.00m/s their resulting Ek's are equal

What were the initial speeds of both cars?

ANS 1= 4.24m/s
ANS 2= 2.12 m/sKe=1/2mV^2

m(a)=2m(b)

Ek(a)=1/2Ek(b)

Ek(a)=1/2mV^2=1/2Ek(b)=1/2(1/2mV^2)
Ek(a)=1/2mV^2=1/4mV^2
Ek(a)=1/2mV^2= 1/4(2m)V^2
1/2mV^2=1/2mV^2

1/2m(vi+6.00m/s)^2=1/2m(vi+6.00m/s)^2

Now, i realize that i must have made a mistake somewhere because this expression as i have demonstrated as equal.

However this is not the answer.
I am under the assumption that my mistake lies in how i made the expressions equal to one another.

Can anyone find the flaw here?
Merci.

-LC-

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LiamC, welcome to PF! :smile:

LiamC said:
Car A has twice the mass of Car B but only half as much Ek (Kinetic Energy).
When both cars increase their speed by 6.00m/s their resulting speeds are equal

What were the initial speeds of both cars?

ANS 1= 4.24m/s
ANS 2= 2.12 m/s

There seems to be something wrong with the question...

If, when both the cars increase their speed by 6m/s, their speed becomes same, then, their original speeds should have been the same too! So you cannot have different speeds for both cars! (I think you mis-typed kinetic energy as speed?)

Infinitum said:
Hi LiamC, welcome to PF! :smile:

There seems to be something wrong with the question...

If, when both the cars increase their speed by 6m/s, their speed becomes same, then, their original speeds should have been the same too! So you cannot have different speeds for both cars! (I think you mis-typed kinetic energy as speed?)

Yup, sorry my bad.

It's kinetic energy in place of speed.

LiamC said:
Yup, sorry my bad.

It's kinetic energy in place of speed.

Okay, so what you have done in your attempt is just loop back the given data on itself, and that leads you to nowhere. You also seem to have assumed their initial speeds are equal, which is wrong. :wink:

Try framing the equations this way.

[tex]m_A = 2m_B = 2m[/tex]

And,

[tex]\frac{1}{4}mv_B^2 = \frac{1}{2}(2m)v_A^2[/tex]

This gives you a relation between [itex]v_A[/itex] and [itex]v_B[/itex]. Now use the second part of the problem which says the kinetic energies are equal if their speeds increase by 6m/s. How would you write equation for this?

LiamC said:
m(a)=2m(b)

Ek(a)=1/2Ek(b)

Ek(a)=1/2maV^2=1/2Ek(b)=1/2(1/2mbV^2)
Ek(a)=1/2maV^2=1/4mbV^2
Ek(a)=1/2maV^2= 1/4(2ma)V^2
1/2maV^2=1/2maV^2

I added subscripts to your masses to make things more clear.

You set up the equations wrong. When you replaced m with 2m on the right hand side, you were replacing mb with 2ma, when ma = 2mb.

Infinitum said:
Okay, so what you have done in your attempt is just loop back the given data on itself, and that leads you to nowhere. You also seem to have assumed their initial speeds are equal, which is wrong. :wink:

Try framing the equations this way.

[tex]m_A = 2m_B = 2m[/tex]

And,

[tex]\frac{1}{4}mv_B^2 = \frac{1}{2}(2m)v_A^2[/tex]

This gives you a relation between [itex]v_A[/itex] and [itex]v_B[/itex]. Now use the second part of the problem which says the kinetic energies are equal if their speeds increase by 6m/s. How would you write equation for this?

Would that be

1/4m(vi(b)=6.00m/s)^2=1/2(2m)(vi(a)+6.00m/s)^2

LiamC said:
Would that be

1/4m(vi(b)=6.00m/s)^2=1/2(2m)(vi(a)+6.00m/s)^2

Noo! Why the 1/4?? What is the kinetic energy of a body in terms of m and v? The RHS is correct, by the way :smile:

1. What is the definition of "initial speed" in relation to moving bodies?

The initial speed of a moving body refers to the speed at which the body is moving at the very beginning of its motion, before any acceleration or deceleration occurs.

2. How is the initial speed of a moving body calculated?

The initial speed of a moving body can be calculated by dividing the change in its velocity by the time interval over which the change occurs.

3. What is the significance of the increment of velocity in determining the initial speed of two moving bodies?

The increment of velocity is an important factor in determining the initial speed of two moving bodies because it represents the change in velocity over a specific time period, which directly affects the speed of the bodies at the beginning of their motion.

4. Can the initial speed of two moving bodies be equal if they have different increments of velocity?

Yes, the initial speed of two moving bodies can be equal even if they have different increments of velocity. This can occur if the bodies start with different initial speeds and experience the same change in velocity over the same time period.

5. How does the initial speed of two moving bodies affect their subsequent motion?

The initial speed of two moving bodies can greatly impact their subsequent motion. If the initial speeds are significantly different, it can result in one body overtaking the other, or if the speeds are equal, they may continue to move in parallel at a constant distance from each other.