The Length of World Line: Prerequisite for Proper Time

In summary, the prerequisite of "the length of world line equals proper time" is that the object have mass. The scaling factor is unimportant, it is just an arbitrary choice of units and sign convention.
GR191511
What is the prerequisite of "the length of world line equals proper time"?C=i?orC=1?If metric is-+++:
##ds^2=-c^2d\tau^2\Rightarrow whenC=i,s=\tau##
If metric is +---:
##ds^2=c^2d\tau^2\Rightarrow whenC=1,s=\tau##
So,which one?

Physics news on Phys.org
The prerequisite is that the object have mass. The scaling factor is unimportant, it is just an arbitrary choice of units and sign convention.

Likes GR191511, vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
GR191511 said:
What is the prerequisite of "the length of world line equals proper time"?
The worldline must be timelike everywhere, or else proper time is not defined for it (equivalent to Dale's comment about mass).

The value of ##c## is just a choice of ratio between units of timelike and spacelike displacements, so is unimportant. It's similar to putting a meter rule and a yardstick end to end - the total length is the sum of the components' lengths regardless of the units I used to specify them. Experienced people convert units without prompting - inserting ##c## as needed is just a novel example of something you would take in stride in other contexts.

Otherwise, if I were being precise I'd say that ##d\tau=\sqrt{|ds^2|}##. I think that saying that proper time is the length of a worldline is an imprecise analogy. I use it either with people who don't understand Minkowski geometry at all (B-level twin paradox threads) or with people who understand it well enough to know I'm being sloppy and will insert modulus signs as needed. Either way I'd probably scare-quote it.

Likes GR191511, vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
Dale said:
The prerequisite is that the object have mass. The scaling factor is unimportant, it is just an arbitrary choice of units and sign convention.
Thanks

Ibix said:
The worldline must be timelike everywhere, or else proper time is not defined for it (equivalent to Dale's comment about mass).

The value of ##c## is just a choice of ratio between units of timelike and spacelike displacements, so is unimportant. It's similar to putting a meter rule and a yardstick end to end - the total length is the sum of the components' lengths regardless of the units I used to specify them. Experienced people convert units without prompting - inserting ##c## as needed is just a novel example of something you would take in stride in other contexts.

Otherwise, if I were being precise I'd say that ##d\tau=\sqrt{|ds^2|}##. I think that saying that proper time is the length of a worldline is an imprecise analogy. I use it either with people who don't understand Minkowski geometry at all (B-level twin paradox threads) or with people who understand it well enough to know I'm being sloppy and will insert modulus signs as needed. Either way I'd probably scare-quote it.
Thank you! I got it

1. What is a world line?

A world line is a concept in physics that describes the path of an object through space and time. It is a one-dimensional representation of an object's history, showing its position at each point in time.

2. How is the length of a world line related to proper time?

The length of a world line is directly related to proper time, which is the time experienced by an observer on the object's world line. The longer the world line, the longer the proper time experienced. This is due to the phenomenon of time dilation, where time passes slower for objects in motion.

3. What is the prerequisite for proper time?

The prerequisite for proper time is a world line that is timelike, meaning it follows the direction of time. This means that the object is moving slower than the speed of light and is not accelerating. If these conditions are met, proper time can be calculated along the world line.

4. How is the length of a world line calculated?

The length of a world line can be calculated using the spacetime interval formula, which takes into account the distance and time traveled along the world line. This formula is based on the principles of special relativity and is used to calculate proper time as well.

5. Why is the concept of world line important in physics?

The concept of world line is important in physics because it helps us understand the relationship between space and time. It also allows us to calculate proper time and understand the effects of time dilation and length contraction. World lines are used in many areas of physics, including relativity, quantum mechanics, and cosmology.