Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The limit of random variable is not defined

1. Nov 16, 2015 #1
    Let ##X_i## are i.i.d. and take -1 and +1 with probability 1/2 each. How to prove ##\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}{\sum_{i=1}^{n}{X_i} }##does not exsits (even infinite limit) almost surely.
    My work:
    I use cauchy sequence to prove it does not converge to a real number.
    But I do not how to prove it does not converge to infinity. Can some one give hints?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Denote ##\sum_{k=1}^j X_k## by ##S_j##

Then If the sum ##S_j## converges in probability to infinity then
    $$\forall M>0\ \forall \epsilon>0:\ \exists N>0 \textrm{ such that } j\geq N\Rightarrow Pr(S_j>M)>1-\epsilon\ \ \ \ \ (1)$$

For this not to be the case we negate the previous line to obtain:

$$\exists M>0\ \exists \epsilon>0:\ \forall N>0: \exists j\geq N\Rightarrow Pr(S_j>M)<1-\epsilon\ \ \ \ \ (2)$$

That's what has to be proved. One way to do that (not necessarily the quickest) is to use the central limit theorem. Note that ##S_j=2B_j-j## where ##B_j## is binomial with parameters ##j,0.5##, which has mean ##\frac{j}{2}## and variance ##\frac{j}{4}##. The Central Limit Theorem tells us that ##B_j## converges in probability to a random variable with distribution ##N(\frac{j}{2},\frac{j}{4})##, so that ##S_j## converges in probability to a RV ##Z_j## with distn ##N(0,j)##.

It's easy enough to prove that the sequence of RVs ##(Z_j)_{j=1}^\infty## satisfies (2). You then just need to put that together with the convergence in probability of ##S_j## to ##Z_j## to get the required result.

4. Nov 16, 2015 #3
    ##\sum_{j=1}^n X_j## by ##S_j##?

5. Nov 16, 2015 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Make that ##S_n##. I'll correct it above.

6. Nov 16, 2015 #5
    What is the relation between almost surely and in probability? How to use here?

7. Nov 17, 2015 #6

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's correct. Almost surely is a stronger type of convergence than in probability.

8. Nov 17, 2015 #7
    I have difficulty about combining the final results, is there any inequality involved?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  9. Nov 17, 2015 #8
    I got you about (2) [<1/2]

10. Nov 17, 2015 #9

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmm. On reflection, making the connection from the convergence in distribution to a normal, to a conclusion that the set of points ##\omega\in\Omega## for which ##\lim_{j\to\infty}S_j(\omega)=\infty## has zero measure is not as straightforward as I initially thought. I will think more about it when I get a decent slab of free time.

11. Nov 18, 2015 #10

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't this a random walk based, say at 0 , in the Real line? I don't know how to describe convergence in a random walk.

12. Nov 18, 2015 #11

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. That's how I've been thinking about it.

The formal statement of the problem, as I understand it, is a request to prove that $$Pr(\lim_{j\to\infty} S_j=\infty)=0$$

where we interpret ##\lim_{j\to\infty}S_j=\infty## to mean that ##\forall M\in\mathbb{N}\ \exists n\in\mathbb{N}\ ## such that ##j>n\Rightarrow S_j>M##. All the instances of ##S_j## in that statement should really be written ##S_j(\omega)## where ##\omega## is an element of the sample space ##\Omega## of infinite sequences, in order to clarify that the statements are about specific sequences ##(S_j(\omega))_{j\in\mathbb{N}}##rather than about the random variables ##S_j##.

If we label by ##A## the set of all sequences/walks ##S_j## that have that property, which we call 'diverging to infinity' then we are trying to prove that ##Pr(A)=0##.

I'm starting to think that my Normal Approximation suggestion won't help though.

Another possible avenue of attack would be if we could show that ##A##is countable. Then we would know it must have measure zero, since the set ##\Omega## of all sequences is uncountable. We can also think about the sequences as binary expansions of real numbers in [0,1] and I'm wondering if any known results about the measure of subsets of that interval might help,

13. Nov 19, 2015 #12

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

14. Nov 19, 2015 #13
  15. Nov 19, 2015 #14

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's what I meant. Could that work, as ##(V=\infty) \cap A =\emptyset## (I think)?

16. Nov 19, 2015 #15
    Define ##B=\{\omega\in \Omega:V(\omega)=\infty\}##? And show ##A\cap B##=0$?

17. Nov 19, 2015 #16

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##\omega\in A## then ##\forall M\in\mathbb{N}\ \exists n\in\mathbb{N}\ ## such that ##\forall j>n\Rightarrow S_j(\omega)>M##.
    Take ##M>0##. Doesn't that imply that ##\omega## can return to 0 at most ##n## times, so ##\omega \not\in B##?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  18. Nov 19, 2015 #17
    I think You are right!

19. Nov 19, 2015 #18

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't it also possible to use a recursion in this case , whose solution gives a closed form for the general probability?

20. Nov 19, 2015 #19
    What do you mean by "recursion"?

21. Nov 19, 2015 #20

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook