The Mandalorian (upcoming Star Wars tv series, 2019)

In summary, the two clips show footage of the setting and background of the upcoming Star Wars tv series The Mandalorian, which is set to premiere on November 12, 2019. The clips show that the story seems to be based around a hired gunfighter who gets called upon to solve problems without using his gun, and that the armour shown looks pretty useless.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
Since there are many Star Wars and SF fans on PF, I wanted to share some info about the upcoming Star Wars tv series The Mandalorian, scheduled to premiere November 12, 2019.

Minor spoilers below (info about setting and background):
The tv series takes place between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, and it is about a lone Mandalorian gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy.

Star_Wars_The_Mandalorian_teaser_image.png

Some brief info about Mandalorians:
  • Mandalorians are a fictional race which haven't been featured in any of the Star Wars movies.
  • Mandalorians are featured in the excellent video games Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2.
  • Boba Fett, the bounty hunter in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi is not a Mandalorian, but he wears Mandalorian armor.

As far as I know there has not been any teaser or trailer released yet, but here are two clips about the tv series, including some footage.

Why The Mandalorian Is Our Most Anticipated TV Show of 2019 (IGN)
The Mandalorian: All Star Wars Celebration Footage (Best Quality)
(there is some footage from the tv series at 2:33 and forwards)
Considering the few things I have seen and heard about it, I think it has potential (if the storywriting is good), so I will be watching it later this year.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, this sounds like Paladin in Have Gun, Will Travel a 1960’s modern western of a hired gunfighter who gets called upon to solve problems many times using his wits and without using his gun.

Likes DennisN and berkeman
Don't know what era this is supposed to be set in, but it looks more like a B grade scifi to me. The armour shown looks pretty useless. I doubt whether he can see out of his helmet and he seems to have no peripheral vision at all. Parts of his arms are exposed and I doubt if any of his armour would stop a modern armour peircing round.
The socalled weapon he holds looks more like a popgun than a real weapon. As for his long arm , reminds me of a old middle eastern musket. Nah, not impressed with any of it as far as reality of the science and story line goes, won't bother watching.

profbuxton said:
reality of the science
It's Star Wars, forget reality :biggrin:. Many species breathe the same air and can deal with the same gravity, to mention two of many strange things in the Star Wars universe.

Likes jedishrfu
Houston, or perhaps I should say "Echo Base", we've got the first trailer!

The Mandalorian | Official Trailer | Disney+ | Streaming Nov. 12

My trailer verdict:
Edit/timing: Very good.
Music: Excellent.
Will I watch the tv series? Yes! :woot:

And we have got trailer number 2:

Quote from trailer:
"They said you were the best in the parsec"
...but... but... I thought parsec was a unit of length. Oh, it's Star Wars, well, never mind then, who cares? 😄

Edit: If we were to interpret the use of parsec here kindly, it could mean within a sphere with a radius of one parsec. But, then again, it's Star Wars, so who cares? :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the release date for "The Mandalorian"?

The Mandalorian is set to be released on November 12, 2019.

2. Who is the main character in "The Mandalorian"?

The main character in "The Mandalorian" is a bounty hunter named Din Djarin, also known as the Mandalorian.

3. Will any familiar characters from the Star Wars universe appear in "The Mandalorian"?

Yes, it has been confirmed that characters such as IG-11, Cara Dune, and Greef Carga will appear in the series, along with potential appearances from other familiar characters.

4. Where does "The Mandalorian" take place in the Star Wars timeline?

The events of "The Mandalorian" take place between the fall of the Empire in "Return of the Jedi" and the rise of the First Order in "The Force Awakens".

5. Who is the creator of "The Mandalorian"?

The creator of "The Mandalorian" is Jon Favreau, who is known for his work on the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the live-action adaptation of "The Jungle Book".