1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Matrix Of A Linear Transformation

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1
    I saw a similar post to this one, but i just got lost in the mess of the whole thing. So i just started a new thread.

A question reads:

Let T: Pn ---> Pn be defined by T[P(x)] = p(x) + xp'(x), where p'(x) denotes the derivative. Show that T is an isomorphism by finding Mbb(T) when B = {1, x, x^2, ... , x^n}

From doing the other question and problems in the text book, i know how to find Mdb(T). I suppose that finding Mbb(T) would be very similar.

I did it like this:

Mbb(T) = [ CbT(1) CbT(x) CbT(x^2) ... CbT(X^n) ]
    Mbb(T) = [ Cb(1) Cb(2x) Cb(3x^2) .... Cb((n+1)X^n]

and it gives this nxn matrix:

[1 0 0 ......... 0]
    [0 2 0 ......... 0]
    [0 0 3 ......... 0]
    [0 0 0 ... (n+1)]

now, an isomorphism means that the linear transformation is both one-to-one and onto.

How do you tell that its an isomorphism by just looking at the matrix?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In this case, your transformation is isomorphic if the matrix is invertible. Why?

4. Nov 23, 2005 #3
    Their is a theorm in my text book.

"Let A be an mXn matrix, and let TA : R^n ---> R^m be the linear transformation inudced by A, that is, Ta(X) = AX for all X in R^n.

1. Ta is onto if and only if rank A = m
    2. Ta is one-to-one if and only if A = n

oh wait.. that dosn't work in this problem...

ill brb

5. Nov 23, 2005 #4
    Their is an example in the textbook...

If U is any invertable mxm matrix, the map T: Mmn ----> Mmn given by T(X) = UX is an isomorphism by Example 6 Section 8.2

This example is too long to type out... but it dosn't show any matrix. It just uses the transformation to show it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?