Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The method

1. Apr 30, 2005 #1
    How did I make this image?

I didn't use fancy tools, just basic software (although I did use Eclipse at one point but only as a text editor).
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2005 #2

You wrote ls (meaning l: the letter) and spaces to define parts and different colours. that's all.
  4. Apr 30, 2005 #3
    No, you doof, I mean HOW did I write them? (by the way, the image contains no spaces; the "spaces" are white l's). I did not just sit down and start typing [ color=white]lllllllllllllllll[ color=ff0000]llll[/color]lll ...
  5. Apr 30, 2005 #4

Gold Member

Answer whited out:

You had someone else do it for you and promised to pay them back, but they're moving to mexico and with all of the excitement, they never asked you for their money, thus you get away with another scam.
    I know Im right...
  6. Apr 30, 2005 #5
    Maybe something like this. :smile:
  7. Apr 30, 2005 #6
    No, I said I didn't use fancy tools. I'm planning on MAKING a fancy tool to do it automatically, but I don't have that yet.
  8. Apr 30, 2005 #7
    You used an ASCII art tool conversion tool on a very small image like an icon.
  9. Apr 30, 2005 #8
    I used no fancy tools. Except for Eclipse (which, as I said, I did not use except as a text editor, and Notepad or Wordpad could have easily substituted) the tools I used came with Windows.
  10. May 1, 2005 #9
    microsoft paint ???
  11. May 1, 2005 #10
    Yes, that was one thing; I used MS Paint to draw the original image.
  12. May 1, 2005 #11
    just used copy paste from some internet place......
  13. May 1, 2005 #12

Gold Member

Oh, I see what you're asking.

You made the image manually. It's tiny, one pixel per ... well ... pixel. Then you scaled the image up, say 10x. Each one pixel becomes a 10x10 square.
  14. May 1, 2005 #13
    Yes, Dave, that was my general plan. I made the image tiny in Paint, and then I somehow transferred it into a text file with color tags. How did I manage that conversion? There's a particular trick I used.
  15. May 2, 2005 #14
    The only tool I used besides Paint was a word processor. I did not use Notepad but you can do the trick in Notepad.
  16. May 2, 2005 #15

Gold Member

Ah. Well, you can save the file as an uncompressed bitmap, then give it a .txt (or whatever) extension. Open it in Word and do global search & replaces (eg: search for 000,000,000 and replace with <font colour=black>, etc.).
  17. May 2, 2005 #16
    You can? I don't know about Word, I have WordPerfect...

But search and replace is the general idea. I assigned a color to a letter, like X=blue, Y=white, etc. and typed the image, then did search and replace.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?