Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The most nerve wracking time of our life

1. Nov 21, 2012 #1

wolram

Gold Member

What was the most nerve wracking experiance of your life?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2012 #2
    It was 5 years ago when my sister got shot through the neck during that first week or so when we didn't know whether she'd live or die. (She lived, though the bullet hit her spinal cord, so she's a C4/5 complete quad). I was a wreck.

4. Nov 21, 2012 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's horrible! What happened, or do you not want to talk about it?

5. Nov 21, 2012 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Agree, that was horrific.

6. Nov 21, 2012 #5

wolram

Gold Member

My most nerve wracking experiance was to stand in front of a board of a multi national company and tell them a piece of plant we had just installed did not work.

7. Nov 21, 2012 #6

Evo

My most nerve wracking experience was being in labor, the epidural wearing off and they can't find the anesthesiologist. Spawn was face up instead of face down and her back was jammed against my spine causing excrutiating pain. 32+ hours of intense labor.

8. Nov 21, 2012 #7
    Wolram, I know your pain. I have had a similar experience ....

9. Nov 21, 2012 #8
    Ouch, I know how that feels. My most nerve wracking time is right now. Thanksgiving is tomorrow and I still haven't decided whether to serve the Riesling or the Gewurztraminer.

10. Nov 21, 2012 #9

turbo

Gold Member

I have had many nerve-wracking times over the years, but the most recent one started a couple of years ago when my mother-in-law lost functionality due to dementia. 4 of my wife's sisters insisted that they keep her at home and insisted that each sibling had to spend a night shift every week to tend to her. My wife and her remaining sane sister finally rebelled and refused to play along. My wife works 40+ hours every week at her job and losing a night-shift every weekend was just too much. The crazy sisters have never forgiven her, and the family is torn apart. A year+ of that stuff is torture.

11. Nov 21, 2012 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My most nerve-wracking moment, I think, was when I worked on a fish processing ship. The ship was underway from one place to another, so we didn't have to work. The management would allow us to have a little celebration during these times, and would even give us a beer or two. What a treat!

It was late and I was walking back to what they called "girl's town", where the female workers slept. The only way to get there was by an outside deck. The ship was in rough water, and I slipped and fell. I skidded straight towards an opening in the railing. I managed to catch a chain just in time. I got back on my feet, and made my way to my quarters.

At first I was really shaken. That would have been a really bad way to die! I could picture myself in the cold Alaskan ocean, the Bering Sea, in the water watching the ship move away. That vision was strangely detailed in my mind. It's a very real possibility that no one would notice I was gone until I didn't show up for my next shift, some 10 hours later.

But a little while later, I became very, very calm and relaxed, and it didn't bother me at all.

12. Nov 21, 2012 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I was about to talk about this one time I tried to make a pie, but clearly it is not up to the standards of this thread.

13. Nov 21, 2012 #12
    Things like running off a tractor, failing a course, going to first interview, setting house fire, getting electrocuted ... but I don't know what was the most nerve wrecking.

14. Nov 21, 2012 #13
    Argument in a bar between her boyfriend and some guy. My sister convinced her boyfriend to walk away from the argument, so they got in the car and were driving away. The thug went out to his own car, got his gun, and fired at the car my sister was in.

Just another night in Baltimore, Murderland.

I kept my hospital wristband from that night, and carry it with me at all times as a reminder that no matter how rough things get for me, I shouldn't complain because it can always be worse.

15. Nov 22, 2012 #14

wolram

Gold Member

Getting electrocuted i imagine, hope you are looking over us :eek:

16. Nov 22, 2012 #15

Borek

It wasn't a single situation on a single day, rather several months of a fight over who will control the publishing house I was working for. Pretty stressing time.

Not to mention waiting for my Mom to get back from a parenting evening (or whatever you call monthly meeting of parents with the class teachers at school).

17. Nov 22, 2012 #16
    Weird phobia that you can't explain, explained?

18. Nov 22, 2012 #17

MarneMath

Education Advisor

It's weird, I remember the first time I had to do Combat Life Saving was pretty nervous moment for me. I didn't know if I did it right, and I spent the whole time afterward shaking hoping I did everything right. Yet, I still remember shaking pretty badly when I asked my wife to marry me. However, if I had to say the most nerve wrecking time in my life is the first time I met my daughter after a deployment. She was only 6 months when I left, and she was 14 months when I came back, the whole trip back I was very unsure if she would remember me. I lived on a little fob during that whole time, so she only heard my voice when I called. It was a great relief to hear her say, 'daddy' and point at a phone :).

19. Nov 22, 2012 #18

wolram

Gold Member

Awww. how cute, and thank you for your service.

20. Nov 22, 2012 #19

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Spending 3 months (We left port in January for the mission that ended in April) waiting for the 1980 Iran rescue to happen while operating with the Nimiz battle group as a staff communications technical controller near Oman praying that more than half the people involved would make it out alive. Then having to deliver the news to our commanders that the mission had failed, we left dead men behind and having to deliver the whole story of what happened to the crew from the Russian TASS news service broadcasts from Afghanistan because all we could offically release was the message from the President.

http://millercenter.org/president/speeches/detail/3936 [Broken]
    http://www.press.umich.edu/pdf/0472108670-03.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  21. Nov 22, 2012 #20

Evo

Funny what affects people. I witnessed a murder, the man was shot down across the street from me. The murderer was holding a shotgun hanging out of the backseat window of a car driving by. Didn't affect me.

A bomb threat was called in by the KKK as being left in the elevator 10 feet from my desk at a radio station that got bombed earlier. The police and the FBI came, removed some parts of our radio tower that was bombed (left in the elevator by the bombers), that they claimed was another bomb. They didn't evacuate us, hmmm. Didn't affect me.

I could go on and on about life threatening and very tragic events in my life and they didn't effect me. I have trouble even remembering a lot of them. I've had an odd life.

I broke a date with a guy and he killed himself. His family and friends blamed me. Yeah, there's a bit more to this story, but not much.

Oh, when I was young, living at home, I lived around the corner from the boy who's body was the first to be found that turned out to be the 28th victim of a serial killer. That was sad, had to take a back road to my house due to all of the police.

When I got my first apartment, detectives knocked on my door questioning me, the girl that lived next door had been murdered.

Went to work, noticed that the glass door was smashed, just missed a gunman that had broken in and opened fire and killed 2 people.

My best friend at the same workplace borrowed a nickel from me to buy a soda, I must have given him a strange look because he said "hey, it's not like you'll never see me again", I never saw him again, he was murdered a few hours later, shot through the head in his own car.

BTW, I lived in wealthy areas with almost no crime, worked for one of the world's largest companies in a nice area.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook