The Motion of Charged Particle in Electric Fields Problem

In summary, two electrons with a speed of 3.5x10^6 m/s are fired directly at each other. The smallest possible distance between them can be calculated using the formula for electric force, kq1q2/r. It is unlikely that the two electrons will actually get this close to each other in the experiment, as there may be a mistake in the formula used in the book. This mistake is evident in the incorrect dimensions and units used. The book in question is Nelson 12 Physics.
Freeq
3. Two electrons are fired at 3.5x10^6 m/s directly at each
other.
(a) Calculate the smallest possible distance between the
two electrons.

(b) Is it likely that two electrons in this situation will actually
get this close to each other if the experiment is
performed? Explain your answer.

Hello, let's look at question 3(a). I just did that question, but I got different answer than the one in the book.
There is the book solution is in the attachment.

I'm concerned about a mistake in the formula. I think that there is no square in r. Even two pages after, you can see that there is no square there. How is this Possible?

Attachments

• dsa2.jpg
    dsa2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 547
  • dsa3.jpg
    dsa3.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Freeq! :smile:
Freeq said:
I'm concerned about a mistake in the formula. I think that there is no square in r. Even two pages after, you can see that there is no square there. How is this Possible?

Yes, you're right. :smile:

The dimensions there are completely wrong (and the units at the end combine to m1/2, not m). :frown:

energy = qV = Fr = kq1q2/r not kq1q2/r2 :rolleyes:

(which book is this?)​

Nelson 12 Physics. It looks like they used formula for electric force, but not energy. However, I still think it is a good book.

1. What is the equation for the motion of a charged particle in an electric field?

The equation for the motion of a charged particle in an electric field is F = qE, where F is the force exerted on the particle, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the strength of the electric field.

2. How does the direction of the electric field affect the motion of a charged particle?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the force exerted on the charged particle. The particle will accelerate in the direction of the electric field if it is positive, and in the opposite direction if it is negative.

3. What is the relationship between the speed of a charged particle and the strength of the electric field?

The speed of a charged particle is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that as the electric field increases, the particle will accelerate and its speed will increase.

4. How does the mass of a charged particle affect its motion in an electric field?

The mass of a charged particle affects its acceleration in an electric field. A particle with a larger mass will experience a smaller acceleration than a particle with a smaller mass, given the same electric field strength.

5. Can a charged particle ever come to rest in an electric field?

No, a charged particle will always experience a force in an electric field and therefore will always be in motion. It can only come to rest if it is in a region of zero electric field or if there is an equal and opposite force acting on it.