1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The motor principle and direction of force on conductor

1. Apr 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-4-17_15-58-21.png

2. Relevant equations
    no equations required

3. The attempt at a solution
    can someone please verify if my answer is correct. Thanks!
    upload_2016-4-17_15-58-31.png
    I used the right-hand rule for the motor principle (although another tutor on physics forum told me that its supposed to be the 'left-hand rule' for the motor principle??) to check my answer.
    Using the right hand rule, my thumb must point “out of the page”, fingers facing towards the bottom of the page (facing towards the S-pole). My palm pushes in the direction of the force, as shown in the diagram above.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2016 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

I concur with your answer, but you also need to show the field lines for the magnet.

4. Apr 18, 2016 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Your answer is correct. The right
    -hand rule you are using is actually the right-hand palm rule(or 'slap' rule). The left-hand rule I was referring to is the Fleming's left- hand rule which involves index finger(force), middle finger(field) and thumb(current). Both give the same result. But I believe Fleming's rules are more common in textbooks, left-hand for motor and right-hand for generator.

5. Apr 18, 2016 #4
    got it, thanks :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted