The motor principle and direction of force on conductor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
alexandria
Messages
168
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


upload_2016-4-17_15-58-21.png


Homework Equations


no equations required

The Attempt at a Solution


can someone please verify if my answer is correct. Thanks!
upload_2016-4-17_15-58-31.png

I used the right-hand rule for the motor principle (although another tutor on physics forum told me that its supposed to be the 'left-hand rule' for the motor principle??) to check my answer.
Using the right hand rule, my thumb must point “out of the page”, fingers facing towards the bottom of the page (facing towards the S-pole). My palm pushes in the direction of the force, as shown in the diagram above.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I concur with your answer, but you also need to show the field lines for the magnet.
 
alexandria said:
although another tutor on physics forum told me that its supposed to be the 'left-hand rule' for the motor principle??
Your answer is correct. The right
-hand rule you are using is actually the right-hand palm rule(or 'slap' rule). The left-hand rule I was referring to is the Fleming's left- hand rule which involves index finger(force), middle finger(field) and thumb(current). Both give the same result. But I believe Fleming's rules are more common in textbooks, left-hand for motor and right-hand for generator.