Problems with electromagnetic fields

In summary, the conversation discussed drawing field lines for magnetic fields and determining the direction of the force on a conductor using the right-hand rule. The accuracy of the field lines in the diagram was questioned, but the expert noted that it was sufficient for determining the force direction. The conversation also mentioned using Google Images or iron filings to more accurately depict the shape of the field.
CAT 2

Homework Statement

Copy the following diagram and draw field lines for both magnetic fields. Then, use them to determine the direction of the force acting on the conductor. HINT: Check your answer, using the right - hand rule for the motor principle.
Their diagram:
ScreenShot_20180126153453.png

2. Relevant equation
n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

My diagram:
IMG_0507.JPG

Did I do this correctly? Thanks for any replies![/B]

Attachments

• IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 747
  • ScreenShot_20180126153453.png
    ScreenShot_20180126153453.png
    572 bytes · Views: 553
Physics news on Phys.org
The B-field diagram isn't very accurate in shape (but the direction is okay), and given that the current is our of the page at us, the qVxB force is in the direction you have drawn. Maybe use Google Images to figure out how to draw a more accurate horseshoe magnet B-field distribution. :smile:

Likes CAT 2
Thanks. So what you are saying is that my circles aren't quite symmetrical, which they should probably be?

The field around the wire is fine. The field lines between the poles of the horseshoe magnet will not be circular. They are more like catenaries (stretched rubber bands). If you have iron filings handy, you can delineate the shape of the field and see for yourself.

Likes berkeman
This is how they taught me, does it mean anything to you about if mine is ok or not?
ScreenShot_20180126211316.png

Attachments

• ScreenShot_20180126211316.png
    ScreenShot_20180126211316.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 522
CAT 2 said:
...does it mean anything to you about if mine is ok or not?
Your answer is good. The problem asks you to draw the field lines, but your drawing only needs to be accurate enough to determine the direction of the force. (The field of the permanent magnet will squash the circular lines surrounding the wire to some degree, for example, but that nicety is overkill here.)

Last edited:

What are electromagnetic fields?

Electromagnetic fields are a type of energy that is created by the movement of charged particles. They can be found in nature, such as in sunlight and lightning, and are also created by man-made devices such as power lines and cell phones.

Can electromagnetic fields cause health problems?

There is ongoing research on the potential health effects of electromagnetic fields. Some studies have suggested a possible link between exposure to these fields and certain health issues, such as cancer and reproductive problems. However, the current scientific consensus is that there is no conclusive evidence to support these claims.

What are the main sources of electromagnetic fields?

The main sources of electromagnetic fields are power lines, household appliances, wireless devices, and electronic equipment. The strength of these fields varies depending on the distance from the source and the amount of electricity being used.

How can I reduce my exposure to electromagnetic fields?

There are several ways to reduce your exposure to electromagnetic fields, such as keeping a safe distance from sources, using hands-free devices for cell phones, and limiting the use of electronic devices. Additionally, certain materials, such as metal screens and foil, can help block these fields.

Are there any regulations for electromagnetic fields?

In most countries, there are regulations in place to limit the exposure to electromagnetic fields from man-made sources. These regulations are based on scientific research and aim to protect the public from potential health risks. However, the specifics of these regulations may vary from country to country.