The motor that drives a reversible refrigerator produced 142 W

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
warrior2014
Messages
33
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The motor that drives a reversible refrigerator produced 142 W of useful power. The hot and cold temperatures of the heat reservoirs are 20°C and -6.1°C. What is the maximum amount of ice that can produce in 2.2 hours from water that is initially at 6.0°C?

Homework Equations



ΔS= Q/T


The Attempt at a Solution



I converted the temperatures into K, so 20°C= 293 K and -6.1°C= 266.9 K.
I found the efficiency using e=1- Tc/Th= 1- (266.9/293)= 0.089

after this, I am unsure how to solve the problem. Please help! thank-you :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org


warrior2014 said:

Homework Statement



The motor that drives a reversible refrigerator produced 142 W of useful power. The hot and cold temperatures of the heat reservoirs are 20°C and -6.1°C. What is the maximum amount of ice that can produce in 2.2 hours from water that is initially at 6.0°C?

Homework Equations



ΔS= Q/T


The Attempt at a Solution



I converted the temperatures into K, so 20°C= 293 K and -6.1°C= 266.9 K.
I found the efficiency using e=1- Tc/Th= 1- (266.9/293)= 0.089

after this, I am unsure how to solve the problem. Please help! thank-you :)
You don't have to worry about entropy at this stage. You have to determine the maximum amount of heat flow from the cold reservoir in 2.2 hours and relate that to the amount of heat flow that must be removed from the water to make a unit (eg a gram or kg) of ice to determine the units of ice made.

AM