1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The motor that drives a reversible refrigerator produced 142 W

1. Dec 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The motor that drives a reversible refrigerator produced 142 W of useful power. The hot and cold temperatures of the heat reservoirs are 20°C and -6.1°C. What is the maximum amount of ice that can produce in 2.2 hours from water that is initially at 6.0°C?

2. Relevant equations

ΔS= Q/T

3. The attempt at a solution

I converted the temperatures into K, so 20°C= 293 K and -6.1°C= 266.9 K.
    I found the efficiency using e=1- Tc/Th= 1- (266.9/293)= 0.089

after this, I am unsure how to solve the problem. Please help!! thank-you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Entropy

You don't have to worry about entropy at this stage. You have to determine the maximum amount of heat flow from the cold reservoir in 2.2 hours and relate that to the amount of heat flow that must be removed from the water to make a unit (eg a gram or kg) of ice to determine the units of ice made.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook