The motor that drives a reversible refrigerator produced 142 W

In summary: OUNT OF ICE IS WHAT I'M STUCK ON In summary, to determine the maximum amount of ice that can be produced in 2.2 hours from water initially at 6.0°C, one must first convert the temperatures to Kelvin and find the efficiency of the refrigerator using the equation e=1-Tc/Th. Then, the maximum amount of heat flow from the cold reservoir in 2.2 hours must be determined and related to the amount of heat flow required to make a unit of ice.
warrior2014

Homework Statement

The motor that drives a reversible refrigerator produced 142 W of useful power. The hot and cold temperatures of the heat reservoirs are 20°C and -6.1°C. What is the maximum amount of ice that can produce in 2.2 hours from water that is initially at 6.0°C?

Homework Equations

ΔS= Q/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the temperatures into K, so 20°C= 293 K and -6.1°C= 266.9 K.
I found the efficiency using e=1- Tc/Th= 1- (266.9/293)= 0.089

after this, I am unsure how to solve the problem. Please help! thank-you :)

Physics news on Phys.org

warrior2014 said:

Homework Statement

The motor that drives a reversible refrigerator produced 142 W of useful power. The hot and cold temperatures of the heat reservoirs are 20°C and -6.1°C. What is the maximum amount of ice that can produce in 2.2 hours from water that is initially at 6.0°C?

Homework Equations

ΔS= Q/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the temperatures into K, so 20°C= 293 K and -6.1°C= 266.9 K.
I found the efficiency using e=1- Tc/Th= 1- (266.9/293)= 0.089

after this, I am unsure how to solve the problem. Please help! thank-you :)
You don't have to worry about entropy at this stage. You have to determine the maximum amount of heat flow from the cold reservoir in 2.2 hours and relate that to the amount of heat flow that must be removed from the water to make a unit (eg a gram or kg) of ice to determine the units of ice made.

AM

1. How does the motor in a reversible refrigerator work?

The motor in a reversible refrigerator works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy, which is used to power the compressor. The compressor then compresses and circulates refrigerant through the system, allowing for heat transfer and cooling.

2. Can the motor in a reversible refrigerator be controlled?

Yes, the motor in a reversible refrigerator can be controlled through a thermostat or temperature control. This allows the motor to turn on and off as needed in order to maintain a desired temperature.

3. What is the power output of the motor in a reversible refrigerator?

The power output of the motor in a reversible refrigerator can vary depending on the specific model, but in this case, it is producing 142 watts (W). This is the amount of electrical energy being converted into mechanical energy per unit of time.

4. Is the power output of the motor in a reversible refrigerator enough to efficiently cool the refrigerator?

Yes, the power output of 142 W is sufficient for the motor to run the compressor and effectively cool the refrigerator. However, the overall efficiency of the refrigerator may also depend on other factors such as insulation and the type of refrigerant used.

5. How does the reversible feature of the refrigerator motor work?

The reversible feature of the refrigerator motor allows it to change the direction of rotation, which is necessary for the refrigerator to both cool and heat. This is achieved by using a reversing valve to change the direction of refrigerant flow, allowing for heating or cooling depending on the desired function.