Impossible refrigerator (thermodynamics and PV diagrams)

In summary: But temperature is a state variable, and when I calculated it, dT = 0 as expected. So, while it may get warmer during the cycle, it will return to its original temperature.In summary, the diagram in the OP's post shows the refrigeration cycle to go counterclockwise, but this is not the only way to do it. The space inside the refrigerator in this case is the cold reservoir (the book I am...), so it would get colder and colder until it got warmer than the cold reservoir. However, temperature is a state variable, and when I calculated it, dT = 0 as expected. So, while it
DrClaude said:
That's pretty much correct. Then take for instance the junction between legs D and C. In leg D, as you calculated, Q < 0, so heat is going from the working substance to the hot reservoir, so Tws > Th. Then in leg C Q > 0, so Tws < Tc. What happens then at point 4 on the diagram?

Well, if we graph Tws, there will either be an impossible discontinuity, or Th<Tws<Tc, which is a contradiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Avatrin said:
Well, if we graph Tws, there will either be an impossible discontinuity,
But Tws is a state variable, so it has a defined value at each point in the cycle.

Avatrin said:
or Th<Tws<Tc, which is a contradiction.
And that's the solution.

To summarize, any cycle can be made into a heat engine, as we only need to use a hot reservoir with Th > max(Tws) and a cold reservoir with Tc < min(Tws). The problem with a refrigerator is that it has to cycle between Tws < Tc and Tws > Th, which is not possible for all cycles.