The music that defines your life

Originally posted by Zero
Yeah, but still no WMDs...
Saddam was the weapon of mass destruction.

Zero

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Saddam was the weapon of mass destruction.
More like a weapon of mass distraction(from bin Laden), don't you think?

Anyhoo, a more musical signature, from Mudvayne...

And from the Beatles..

Danzig are AMERICANS!!!! And not even death metal...

Here's what I like:

Slipknot, Hatebreed, Mudvayne, Static X, Deftones, Lamb of God, Arch Enemy, Cradle of Filth, Poison The Well, etc.,
I've heard of mudvanes and deftoness.. rest I don't know..

I could have sworn danzig was deathmetal.. maybe it was that coffin cover.. hehe.

More like a weapon of mass distraction(from bin Laden), don't you think?

I liked the comparison of searching for WMD to OJ.. that was excellent

Tsu

Gold Member
Originally posted by Zantra
The Eagles are NOT a country group- and yes I have some of thier CDs. Jim Croce goes along with james taylor- same type of music.

Swedish death metal...hmmm.. Danzig?
I KNEW someone would say something about the Eagles... Technically, no. They're not. But they DO tend to have a lot of country-sounding elements in quite a lot of their music - like 'Peaceful, Easy Feeling', and ...aw, cr*p, several others that I, of course, cannot seem to think of right now... I do NOT like country, but I love most of the Eagles.

I also love Croce and Taylor. But how could I forget Tull? I still adore his 'Benefit' concert album. I'm a pretty big Ricki Lee Jones fan. Yikes! Phoebe Snow, Roberta Flack, Joni Mitchell (remember them?)

More:
Annie Lennox (with or without Eurythmics)
Stevie Nicks
Natalie Merchant (with or without 10,000 Maniacs)
The Pretenders
Peter Frampton
Sting (with or without the Police)
Journey
Ambrosia
- plus a bazillion others...

Some new age music is pretty nice, too. I'm especially fond of David Lanz. I also listen to a channel on our satellite dish called 'Soundscapes' that plays what it calls 'new age, atmospheric and world-positive music' whatever that means. It also plays music from all over the world - less now that it used to some months back, I'm sorry to say. It's quite soothing as background when I'm trying to force those LQG & ST concepts into my twisty-faced head.

Evo

Mentor
Originally posted by Tsunami
But how could I forget Tull?
Jethro Tull? I was going to mention that group, but there are so MANY!!!!!!!!!!

Procol Harum - Whiter shade of Pale was sheer brilliance. Does anyone remember them??

Steve Miller, Traffic, Fleetwood Mac, Dave Mason, Quicksilver, Eric Burden, John Mayhall, Moby Grape, Country Joe & the Fish, Donovan, Deep Purple, The Yardbirds, Buffalo Springfield.

No one has mentioned Bob Dylan??

Sorry, music is my life and I could go on and on...

Tsu

Gold Member
Originally posted by Evo
Jethro Tull? I was going to mention that group, but there are so MANY!!!!!!!!!!
I KNOW!! Ian Anderson has a few CD's out that are just him - playing his flute. BEAUTIFUL!!!

Procol Harum - Whiter shade of Pale was sheer brilliance. Does anyone remember them??
Absolutely!! One of my favorite songs! Have you ever heard Annie Lennox do that song on her Medusa CD? I just love it!!

Steve Miller, Traffic, Fleetwood Mac, Dave Mason, Quicksilver, Eric Burden, John Mayhall, Moby Grape, Country Joe & the Fish, Donovan, Deep Purple, The Yardbirds, Buffalo Springfield.

No one has mentioned Bob Dylan??

Sorry, music is my life and I could go on and on...
Every single one of those...!!! (i'm tellin' ya...seperated at birth... ) AND!!! -
Grace Slick - Jefferson AIRPLANE (not starship - good grief. what's up with THAT? )

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
btw again, that was Planets by Holst.
GREAT STUFF

Anyone? How about Tomita's version?

This can go on forever?...Tull-Thick as a Brick!
Genesis..WHO..Yes..Def Leppard..Barclay James Harvest..Todd Rundren(his great version of Star Trek Theme)..etc..etc.

Some time ago I listen to all my Bob Dylan Albums..from his first one to present day/most recent. I noticed through the sixties his style was constant, obviously how he came to be labeled 'poet'. the early seventies (New Morning)>> Blood on the Tracks seemed to be musically really 'perfection'. Eighties Bob Seemed to be Rushed/panicked by world events more than at any other time (sixties excluded) its my opinion that his music reflections of this decade were a mix n match, but nevertheless some great albums, looking forward I hope he still makes albums, fans want to know thoughts, transfered into music, this what connects people.

It is accepted that the very first comunication between Humans was made through sound, the recognition that a certain sound, say of a hollow log being hit with a solid stick or a hollow stick, produced the first musical meanings(warning tones-rejocing tones etc), which later developed into vocabulary language's.

I can say that the very first musical notes to make me wonder, was a song from the sixties, it opened up my senses to music and communication.

Evo

Mentor
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
btw again, that was Planets by Holst.
GREAT STUFF
OMG!! I haven't heard that in years. I love that!
Originally posted by Tsunami - Absolutely!! One of my favorite songs! Have you ever heard Annie Lennox do that song on her Medusa CD? I just love it!!
No, I haven't, but since our tastes are so similar, I probably should. :smile:
Originally posted by Tsunami - AND!!! - Grace Slick - Jefferson AIRPLANE (not starship - good grief. what's up with THAT?)
Exactly!!! Their music style changed radically and I just didn't care for it, they tried to be too commercial.

jimmy p

Gold Member
I think when i bought my first Iron Maiden album, my life changed. Nowadays there are a lot of blands which are definitive me...i am really into trashy rock bands like Guns N Roses, New York Dolls and Hanoi Rocks...but then they have influences from the Rolling Stones who are a massive favourite with me. Iron Maiden are real cool still!! ALSO when my mum bought me Marillion's greatest hits, i thought that was ultimate. there is no music that defines my life because my tastes vary too much and are very dependent on my mood.

Tsu

Gold Member
Originally posted by jimmy p
I think when i bought my first Iron Maiden album, my life changed. Nowadays there are a lot of blands which are definitive me...i am really into trashy rock bands like Guns N Roses, New York Dolls and Hanoi Rocks...but then they have influences from the Rolling Stones who are a massive favourite with me. Iron Maiden are real cool still!! ALSO when my mum bought me Marillion's greatest hits, i thought that was ultimate. there is no music that defines my life because my tastes vary too much and are very dependent on my mood.
ALRIGHT my sweet Chopnik! Iron Maiden, Stones... you have GREAT taste in music!! And your mum rocks, too!! Sweet!

Tsu

Gold Member
Copied from the Beautiful/Sexy Men thread (cuz I forgot where I WAS! what a geek I am!) :

Anyone remember Darkness, Darkness by the Youngbloods? Another favorite of mine.

More: (tapes)
Heart
Phil Collins
Seal
Steely Dan
Neil Young
CSN&Y
CCR
Michio Kaku (WHAT?!! what's that doing in here? Hey! IVAN! I've
found your Michio Kaku tape!!!)

jimmy p

Gold Member
lol ok Tsunami....

Phil Collins is the MAN!!

(copied from another thread)

Tsu

Gold Member
Originally posted by jimmy p
lol ok Tsunami....

Phil Collins is the MAN!!

He certainly is!!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey! IVAN! I've
found your Michio Kaku tape!!!)
Is that the duet that he does with William Shatner?

Tsu

Gold Member
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Is that the duet that he does with William Shatner?
THAT'S THE ONE!! We must put it in the safe (with the one he did with Jefferson Starship- remember? he and Gracie Slick were AWESOME together!!) Those will be collector's item for SURE!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay, Nimoy really did sing Bilbo, and Shatner really did put out an album, [I am thinking Christmas album...??? egad!] but I am quite sure that he never did a duet with Michio Kaku.

Evo

Mentor
Anyone remember Darkness, Darkness by the Youngbloods? Another favorite of mine.
Yes, another great song!!! And more great bands! This thread brings back so many memories. *snif* thanks Ivan!

iTunes for previewing music

Originally posted by Evo
I have no idea what that is.
Download the iTunes player; fire it up; click "Music Store"; select "Artists" from the search box dropdown menu; and type in the names of Zero's favorite bands to hear what they sound like.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

-Chris

Zero

Re: iTunes for previewing music

Originally posted by hitssquad
Download the iTunes player; fire it up; click "Music Store"; select "Artists" from the search box dropdown menu; and type in the names of Zero's favorite bands to hear what they sound like.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

-Chris
Yeah, because I am the man, and my music is the only REAL music!!

The music of Wolfgang Mozart defines my life: both his music and I are very intellectual.

Tsu

Gold Member
Originally posted by Evo
Yes, another great song!!! And more great bands! This thread brings back so many memories. *snif* thanks Ivan!
He IS a sweetie, isn't he??

Evo

Mentor
Re: Re: iTunes for previewing music

Yeah, because I am the man, and my music is the only REAL music!!
Gotta love a self assured music aficionado.

Originally posted by Tsunami - He IS a sweetie, isn't he??
Yes!!!! you are soooooo lucky, I mean the big dark eyes, the pale silvery skin, the long thin fingers (great for piano playing). What more could a woman want?????