The music that defines your life

• Music
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Music
In summary, In Bowie's music, some songs stick with someone forever, while other songs become outdated over time.
iTunes for previewing music

Originally posted by Evo
I have no idea what that is.
Download the iTunes player; fire it up; click "Music Store"; select "Artists" from the search box dropdown menu; and type in the names of Zero's favorite bands to hear what they sound like.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

-Chris

Science news on Phys.org

Originally posted by hitssquad
Download the iTunes player; fire it up; click "Music Store"; select "Artists" from the search box dropdown menu; and type in the names of Zero's favorite bands to hear what they sound like.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

-Chris
Yeah, because I am the man, and my music is the only REAL music!

The music of Wolfgang Mozart defines my life: both his music and I are very intellectual.

Originally posted by Evo
Yes, another great song! And more great bands! This thread brings back so many memories. *snif* thanks Ivan!
He IS a sweetie, isn't he??

Originally posted by Zero
Yeah, because I am the man, and my music is the only REAL music!
Gotta love a self assured music aficionado.

Originally posted by Tsunami - He IS a sweetie, isn't he??
Yes! you are soooooo lucky, I mean the big dark eyes, the pale silvery skin, the long thin fingers (great for piano playing). What more could a woman want?

Originally posted by ranyart
Btw, has anyone heard the War of the Worlds album with the Moody Blues?

just a technical note, the album was a collaboration with Justin Heyward and John Lodge-MBs members.

I HAVE THE SPECIAL EDITION INMY HAND RIGHT NOW!

With four bonus Tracks ;)
No fair Ranyart! I would love to get my hands on that!

How about the cheesy stuff? Confession time!

A few of my confessions from early youth:

Bobby Sherman [hey, he grew up near me and was a local hero in 1970]. I recently listened to "Julie Julie Julie do you love me?"

AAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

David Cassidy [He could help out Moni with his "I think I Love You"]

Olivia Newton John - I was so in lust. She had a really sexy voice and was irresistible to any hormone ridden 13-15 year old.

A couple of real favorites not mentioned:
Lots by John Denver.
Also, "Heart of Gold" by Young

Finally, I still get a little tear in my eye when little Jackie Paper leaves poor Puff.

Puff, The Magic Dragon

Puff, the magic dragon, lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honalee.
Little Jackie Paper loved that rascal Puff
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff, oh

[CHORUS]

Together they would travel on boat with billowed sail
Jackie kept a lookout perched on Puff's gigantic tail
Noble kings and princes would bow whene'er they came
Pirate ships would lower their flags when Puff roared out his name, oh

CHORUS

A dragon lives forever, but not so little boys
Painted wings and giants's rings make way for other toys.
One grey night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more
And Puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.

His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain
Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane.
Without his lifelong friend, Puff could not be brave
So, Puff that mighty dragon sadly slipped into his cave, oh

CHORUS

By Peter Yarrow and Leonard Tipton On Peter, Paul & Mary's
MOVING, IN CONCERT, and 10 YEARS.
Copyright 1963 Pepamar Music
http://mudhole.spodnet.uk.com/~bean/puff/puff_lyrics.html

Last edited:
lol, as if "Puff the Magic Dragon" wasn't blatant enough... the kid's name is Jackie Paper?? What about Hydroponic Harry?

Not to belittle your Puff memories or anything. That was a favorite of mine as a kid as well (the cartoon at least-- don't know if the song came first).

OMG! ROTFLOLAPMP

I started singing this song at age 4. It never occurred to me!

It's going to take me a while to get over that one. I may never cry for poor puff again...God now I can't even type the word Puff without laughing!

How about Herman's Hermits? (Herman and the Hermits? I can't remember which.

I used to think Tiny Tim was hysterically funny.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Herman and the Hermits

Oh man, yes, but what did they sing?

I used to think Tiny Tim was hysterically funny.

Tiny was cool. Recently I have watched a few of the old Laugh In shows and I saw Tiny on one of them.

He got married on the Carson show didn't he?

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Oh man, yes, but what did they sing?
Biggest hits, I think, were "Something Good" and "Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter."
He got married on the Carson show didn't he?
Yes, I stayed up late to watch this important event, when I was 10 or 11. His wife was "Miss Vicki". He continued to call her that after the wedding. As I recall, the marriage didn't last.

How about the cheesy stuff? Confession time!

A few of my confessions from early youth:

Bobby Sherman [hey, he grew up near me and was a local hero in 1970]. I recently listened to "Julie Julie Julie do you love me?"

AAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

David Cassidy [He could help out Moni with his "I think I Love You"]

Olivia Newton John - I was so in lust. She had a really sexy voice and was irresistible to any hormone ridden 13-15 year old.

A couple of real favorites not mentioned:
Lots by John Denver.
Also, "Heart of Gold" by Young

Finally, I still get a little tear in my eye when little Jackie Paper leaves poor Puff.

Puff, The Magic Dragon

Little Jackie Paper loved that rascal Puff
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff, oh

[CHORUS]

Together they would travel on boat with billowed sail
Jackie kept a lookout perched on Puff's gigantic tail
Noble kings and princes would bow whene'er they came
Pirate ships would lower their flags when Puff roared out his name, oh

CHORUS

A dragon lives forever, but not so little boys
Painted wings and giants's rings make way for other toys.
One grey night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more
And Puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.

His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain
Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane.
Without his lifelong friend, Puff could not be brave
So, Puff that mighty dragon sadly slipped into his cave, oh

CHORUS

By Peter Yarrow and Leonard Tipton On Peter, Paul & Mary's
MOVING, IN CONCERT, and 10 YEARS.
Copyright 1963 Pepamar Music
http://mudhole.spodnet.uk.com/~bean/puff/puff_lyrics.html

Great!

Iam a big fan of PP&M and as with many other groups I try to find first Albums, and I have the very first Peter-Paul-Mary album! Dated 1962 (excellent condition) Produced by Albert Grossman (Dont Look Back) Musical Director Milton Okun (Also goes by various other names I believe-think he founded Atlantic Records?!) The cover photo was Photographed at The Bitter End, New York City.

The 'A Song will Rise' Album has an Early version of MOTHERLESS CHILD (Later covered many times, and famously by Richie Havens at WOODSTOCK!) the Album also has the correct version of Gilgarry Mountain!...can anyone name the Group/song (has different title) which covered it in the early seventies?...clue Whiskey!

I have at least 12 Peter Paul & Mary albums my fav has to be 'ALBUM'
for those that do not know, this albums has one of the earliest 'save the planet' folk songs..it called Sometime Lovin.

Last edited:

Originally posted by Evo
Gotta love a self assured music aficionado.

Yer darn tootin!

Of course, my music includes huge chunks of blues, classic rock, old surf music, ummmm...*looks over at the stacks of CDs*...cheesy 80s hair metal, strange electronica and Don Henley?

old surf music

For crying out loud...this is an endless list!

I grew up in LA... "The Beach Boys" and "Jan and Dean" were mandatory listening for anyone cool!

Great!

Iam a big fan of PP&M and as with many other groups I try to find first Albums, and I have the very first Peter-Paul-Mary album! Dated 1962 (excellent condition)

WOW, that was a find! Do you have any idea if it holds any collectors value? I'm sure it does. Also, I loved PP&M. I'm a total sap for songs that tell a good story.

Originally posted by Evo
Yes! you are soooooo lucky, I mean the big dark eyes, the pale silvery skin, the long thin fingers (great for piano playing). What more could a woman want?
LOTS of oyster shooters?

Last edited:
I love the Mama's & The Papa's - "California Dreaming", "Monday, Monday", 12:30 (young girls are coming to the canyon)

Puff the Magick Dragon always made me sad, yes Peter, Paul & Mary were great. Beach Boys, Jan & Dean. All favorites.

Last edited:

...cheesy 80s hair metal

CHEESY 80's HAIR METAL? it rocks! its the best kind of music you can listen to. Its not cheesy! i mean, where else can you sing about your girlfriends red shoes? LOL. 80's metal rules! i wish i was older so i could be there from the start, with wild hair flowing and being able to wear spandex without being ridiculed!

I play the piano and violin (although the latter to a lesser degree these days), so it is without a doubt classical music. No other form of music elicits such profundity in my ears. I find it to be so compex and involving that I feel like a remote participant in archetypal brilliance by the composer and performers.

It's really hard to put the respect for music into words, but for those that have seen the fantastic movie Amadeus, Salieri's character did a fantastic job of expressing gratitude.

WOW, that was a find! Do you have any idea if it holds any collectors value? I'm sure it does. Also, I loved PP&M. I'm a total sap for songs that tell a good story.

The financial value is of no concern to me, what makes my Album Collection of value is that I get to listen and play them often, giving me the satisfaction of knowing, firstly the Albums have been around and played in the Early sixties by someone who could not know the significance at their time(62)etc..etc. and I often wonder about those who once owned these Albums, how they interpreted and enjoyed the Music.

I get a great feeling from original Albums, even the odd little scratch or Fluff, adds to the Nostalgia

That's the funny thing about collector's value; most people aren't willing to part with the item of value. I would be the same way.

I did manage to salvage a stack of 45's that my mom missed [actually my brother grabbed them]. I get a real kick out of listening to these from time to time. "One Tin Soldier" by Coven was one that was saved. I was so into that song when Billy Jack was first out! Really it became symbolic of the plight of native Americans. And yes, the scratches, pops, and clicks, really take me back...the good ole days when sound was cr*p!

One thought on vinyl: I am told by the audiophiles that one should never play a record more than once per day. The theory [which can get pretty dicey with the audio nuts so beware, I have no idea if this is really true] is that the vinyl stretches and needs time to relax. Continuous play results in permanent degradation of the surface.

Anyway, I'm with Evo, this thread has really brought back some memories.

Originally posted by Evo
I love the Mama's & The Papa's - "California Dreaming", "Monday, Monday", 12:30 (young girls are coming to the canyon)

FANTASTIC SONGS! Esp California Dreaming. I still absolutely love that song.

and Mama Cass, what a singer!

what no dead heads?
or parrot heads

I was a teenager in the golden era 63-70
and the best ever music was made then
a few no-one has listed yet
it is a beutifull day
buffilo springfield
quick silver messinger service
doors
the dead
derrick and the domminos [ clapton is GOD]
almond bros
a local band
jimmy buffet and the coral reefers

One thought on vinyl: I am told by the audiophiles that one should never play a record more than once per day. The theory [which can get pretty dicey with the audio nuts so beware, I have no idea if this is really true] is that the vinyl stretches and needs time to relax. Continuous play results in permanent degradation of the surface.

Anyway, I'm with Evo, this thread has really brought back some memories.

One reason I try and buy as many good copies as I can!

I hope I am not going to sound crass or anything?..but I have one the the first 60,000 first pressings of Tubular Bells, plus one of the second 100,000 pressing..third 100,000.

The album has a Black and White Original "Virgin" label, highly collectable, the Label was changed for each pressing and that's how you can tell the Albums age and when it was pressed.

The total world sales of Tubular Bells is huge, but I have one of the very first!

I have one the the first 60,000 first pressings of Tubular Bells, plus one of the second 100,000 pressing..third 100,000.
I forgot about Tubular Bells, gee Ranyart, what else do you have?

Evo<-------On her way to Ranyart's house to uhm "borrow" his album collection!

This makes me even sadder about all the albums of mine that were stollen. :frown:

Originally posted by jimmy p
CHEESY 80's HAIR METAL? it rocks! its the best kind of music you can listen to. Its not cheesy! i mean, where else can you sing about your girlfriends red shoes? LOL. 80's metal rules! i wish i was older so i could be there from the start, with wild hair flowing and being able to wear spandex without being ridiculed!
Oh yeah, it is awesome...I dug out my old tapes from high school...slamming some Dokken, Dio, Def Leppard, ummmm...something else that starts with "D"...LA Guns, Tesla, Ratt, that sort of stuff.

Not as cool as 80s Metallica, Megadeth or Iron Maiden, but the hair stuff had a cheesy charm.

Originally posted by Evo
I forgot about Tubular Bells, gee Ranyart, what else do you have?

Evo<-------On her way to Ranyart's house to uhm "borrow" his album collection!

This makes me even sadder about all the albums of mine that were stollen. :frown:

I have to stress again, I do not class myself as a 'Collector' I purely try find Albums that I deem important to myself. An example, I heard a piece of music quite by accident one evening, whilst 'tuning' through the Radio I happen to be listening to, there was no reference to the Artist(It was a classical piece/station). Some years went by, and I heard the same music again, this time with Artist's name, I went out and found some early Albums by the musician in question, Andre Segovia.

Some other gems I have are: 'X-Ray-Specs'-Al Stewart-Love Chronicles(jimmy page as session guitarist)- Michael Oldfield-Heavens Open..but the real gems are what I hold as personal favs: Tonto's Expanding Head Band-Zero Time, and their second album:Tonto-Its About Time these Albums are really creative in their construction and content, not to everyone's taste, but really interesting to me!

Another gen worthy of mention is a C-D I bought whilst in Canada:Voices Of The Rainforest, its a recording of tribe in Papua New Guinea..just a recording of the 'sounds' of village life!

Originally posted by Njorl in "She is a jewel"

"King Tut " - Steve Martin

Oh yeah, it is awesome...I dug out my old tapes from high school...slamming some Dokken, Dio, Def Leppard, ummmm...something else that starts with "D"...LA Guns, Tesla, Ratt, that sort of stuff.

Not as cool as 80s Metallica, Megadeth or Iron Maiden, but the hair stuff had a cheesy charm.

YEAH! i have some Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Dio, LA Guns, Poison, n hair metal stuff like that! I have to admit that i would class Megadeth as cheesy metal because they were metallica wannabes. Same as post-Kai Hansen Helloween.

But of course there were the GREAT 80's bands such as Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Van Halen:- bands that the cheesier rockers tried to imitate. All good fun (sex, drugs and rock music!) in the 80's. Nowadays there are no groupies willing to copulate with any rock star they see, but in the 80's it was sacriledge not to! BRING BACK BIG HAIR, ALL IS FORGIVEN (EVEN mullets!)

I listen to:

Led Zeppelin
Rage Against the Machine
Tool
Audioslave
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Bob Marley and The Wailers
Chris Isaak and The Silvertones
Stone Temple Pilots
Jimi Hendrix
Black Sabbath
Blue Oyster Cult
The Wallflowers
Van Halen
UFO
MSG
The Kings
Breaking Point
Thin Lizzy
REM
Dave Brubek
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Ted Nuggent
The Rolling Stones
Bob Dylan
The Scorpions
Iron Maiden
The Ramones
Diamond Head
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Sex Pistols
The Offspring
The Misfits
Killing Joke
Kylie Minogue
James Brown
Beethoven
Eric Clapton
The Doors
Bob Seger
Blondie
Billy Idol
ABBA
Aerosmith
Tom Waits
Queen
Mozart
Pearl Jam
Motorhead
Parallax
Tygers of Pan Tang
Budgie
Brahms
John Estes
Elvis Presley
Deep Purple
Danzig
Holocaust
Discharge
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
The Birthday Party
Sweet Savage
Rollins Band

But as to which one describes me, I would have to say the anger, soft spoken existentialism, and desperate feeling of Tool's "Parabola" and "The Patient" mirror me.

As a whole, Metallica's "Until It Sleeps" reflects my frustration, Audioslave's "Set It Off" reflects my anger, Led Zeppelin's "In the Evening" reflects my defiance and Bob Marley's "Everything's Gonna be Alright" reflects a growing optimism despite everything going on.

Sting! What's up, dude?!?

Sting's favorite bands; hitssquad's stinging reviews

Originally posted by Sting
I listen to:
Led Zeppelin too much at one time, and never again

Rage Against the Machine good

Tool bad; Bob Black probably loves this band

Audioslave ?

The Beatles purgatory

Pink Floyd The Wall is OK

Bob Marley and The Wailers bad

Chris Isaak and The Silvertones bad

Stone Temple Pilots bad

Jimi Hendrix bad

Black Sabbath The Speak of the Devil incident was sort of amusing

Blue Oyster Cult Veteran of the Psychic Wars is the only track I have. It's a good track. BTW, that track is only available on the original Heavy Metal movie soundtrack - and that whole soundtrack is good. BTW#2, Racer X does a good cover of Godzilla on their Superheroes album.

The Wallflowers ?

Van Halen David Lee Roth era, especially Fair Warning, is good. A good VH cover band to check out is Atomic Punks. Russ Parish (of Musician's Institute, Paul Gilbert's Electric Fence, and Rob Halford's Fight) is on guitar and he very seriously knows how to play.
http://www.theatomicpunks.com

UFO Love to Love is awesome. Did notice how all of the Scorpions instrumentals sound like this song? But then, even Def Leppard's Switch 625 sounds like this song.

MSG Heat of a dusky lady, born of the sand... MSG is a reason for living. Captain Nemo is a reason for woodshedding. Oh, I almost forgot. The Greatest Album Cover of All Time award goes to Built to Destroy.

The Kings ?

Breaking Point ?

Thin Lizzy They love this band in Sweden. Check out John Norum's first solo album (Total Control). It sounds very Phil.

REM bad

Dave Brubek Take five, baby. All jazz is bad.

Stevie Ray Vaughan Look at little sister. And while you're at it, would you please turn down the .45 caliber snare drum a little? I used to listen to Stevie. Then my brain started to hurt.

Ted Nuggent The Nuge' is a very good marksman.
http://www.renegadebows.com/tedsview.htm

The Rolling Stones Tatoo You is OK.

Bob Dylan bad

The Scorpions Hmmm. Someone here is a Michael Schenker fan... Good band, as long as it's the old stuff.

Iron Maiden Killer, behind you. I'm still waiting for them to get Paul back in the band.

The Ramones I'm a teenage lobotomy. Or I was, rather. If they weren't so New York, they would be good.

Diamond Head Is this metal? I guess I'm a big dumbhead for not knowing this band.

The Smashing Pumpkins bad

The Sex Pistols bad (extra bad because they are very New York)

The Offspring bad

The Misfits will need to investigate further

Killing Joke ditto

Kylie Minogue ?

James Brown bad

Beethoven Ode to Joy, baby. It's amazing what Beethoven did without a Pro Tools system (that slap-echo effect in the Scherzo movement of the Choral symphony is impressive).

Eric Clapton bad

The Doors Who else could pen a line like "The music is your special friend" and still be considered intellectual?

Bob Seger bad

Blondie She would be good if she was not so very deeply New York. Heart of Glass is great, though.

Billy Idol bad, except for the Generation X stuff (the band, not the cultural movement). Trivia: Generation X did Kiss Me Deadly before Lita Ford did.

ABBA All I know is Dancing Queen. Did they record other songs?

Aerosmith purgatory; old stuff only

Tom Waits bad

Queen good; especially the Highlander soundtrack

Mozart good

Pearl Jam bad

Motorhead The best thing ever about Motorhead was the Lemmy interview in The Decline of Western Civilization, Part II.

Parallax ?

Tygers of Pan Tang You just gave yourself away, you John Sykes fan. For more Sykes, the first Blue Murder album is good. The Whitesnake album he did is good, too, but not as good as Blue Murder.

Budgie ?

Brahms will have to investigate further

John Estes ?

Elvis Presley Cheap Trick think he is great.

Deep Purple What was "Stormbringer" all about? Were they trying to jump on the fantasy-genre bandwagon of the 70's? Note to John Lord: playing your organ through a Marshall stack does not make it sound innovative. It makes it sound like a casio keyboard.

Danzig will have to investigate further

Holocaust ?

Discharge ?

Red Hot Chili Peppers bad

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds bad

The Birthday Party ?

Sweet Savage ?

Rollins Band bad

-Chris

Last edited by a moderator: