Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High school years are the best years of your life

Tags:
  1. Dec 24, 2014 #1
    Does anyone actually believe this statement? I had a few well meaning, though severely misguided, people try to tell me this back when I was in high school. How can it be better? No bills? So what? Do people just forget what it was like to actually be in high school (or worse, did they peak in high school)?

Having been a science-loving student in a D-ranked school with low funding and teachers who didn't care and often taught wrong information (NO, THE NORMAL FORCE DOES NOT POINT INTO THE SURFACE), I am absolutely amazed and the wealth of knowledge I have access to in my university. Combine that with having more freedom to do what I want than ever before, how can anyone believe this statement? Even taking into account students who didn't care about learning and didn't go to college. Certainly they should prefer the freedom of being an adult, as opposed to high school, where you're expected to act like an adult while having none of the freedoms of one.

Speaking of freedoms, I can now buy tacos at 3:00 am just because I'm hungry. If that isn't better than high school, nothing is.

Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2014 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, some people really did peak in high school.

4. Dec 24, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

As pathetic as that is, I have to agree. I just hope it isn't too many. I think of it as mostly being guys who were successful jocks in high school and then went on to not amount to much but it's probably a fair number in addition to that.

5. Dec 24, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You, Phinds, and Russ are being entirely too charitable and hopeful in your demographic estimates.

6. Dec 24, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sigh ... you are probably right.

7. Dec 24, 2014 #6
    As far as the OP, I questioned my fathers wisdom in telling me that until I was about 50 years old. I attended an exceptional high school with exceptional teachers. My small senior class of only fifty students turned out four engineers. two nurses, and a self made millionaire who started his own chemical supply business without ever attending college. Many others became successful farmers and teachers.

It wasn't a small private school it was a small town school. Kids didn't wander around searching for who they were. They knew who they were and where they were going.

That was in the other America, the one that existed in the past and then slowly decayed into a political morass that engulfed the school system.

8. Dec 24, 2014 #7
    A certain number always have and they still do. In the past they could still earn a good living. That was back in the day when we had skilled tradesmen and master craftsmen. But essentially that has little or nothing to do with the OP.

9. Dec 24, 2014 #8

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I've always heard the "high school is the best years of your life" line, and I have never agreed with it. Not even when I was in high school. I was something of a social outcast in high school. I had a few close friends, but I was never exactly a social butterfly. My post-high school years have been far better than my high school years. I think this phrase is a lot more applicable to the jocks that spend their life reminiscing about going to state and scoring the winning touchdown, and sleeping with half the cheerleading squad. Many of the kids that were the jocks in my high school class are today working fairly menial factory or construction jobs, working as car salesmen, working for the city etc. Many of them have never really gotten out of the hometown. They hang out at the bars on the weekend with their old high school buddies and talk about "those glory days" when they went to state and such.

I'm only 28 now, so my class is still pretty young. But I imagine a lot of these "glory day reminiscers" will still be doing the same things 20-30 years from now.

10. Dec 24, 2014 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I could buy tacos at 3:00 a.m. when I was in high school. IDK, is that illegal or something where you live?

When I turned 18 in HS, you could legally buy a drink and get a pack of smokes without proving you were 27 or whatever. And the pack didn't cost $15 or whatever they charge now. Heck, you could buy a whole carton of smokes for less than $6. How's that for 'the best years of your life'?

11. Dec 24, 2014 #10
    I had more free time in high school and freshman year of college.

When college really started going after 1st year, my free time declined a lot. It made me miss
    all the time I had in high school to just read whatever I was interested in.

Best years? I hope not...but better than most of college? Oh yeah...Nothing enjoyable about constant 100 hour weeks (as was the case in much of my college experience).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  12. Dec 29, 2014 #11
    I sincerely hope that is not true.
    Because I'm currently in my final months of HS, and it's been a horrible time.

13. Dec 29, 2014 #12
    It certainly has it good things.
    I cruised through HS.
    Even my bachelors wasn't too bad now I can compare it to the effort I have to put in now.
    Although I am certain a lot of people have it a lot harder than me.
    The hardest part is starting to do my work, i.e. scheduling and sticking too it.

Conclusion for me:
    Enjoy your free time in HS.
    Enjoy pursuing your passion/interest in college. Even if that means "sacrificing" some of your time (not really a sacrifice when get past the introductory courses IMO)

14. Dec 29, 2014 #13
    Well, this varies from person to person, but when I was a teenager, I had no money and no car. Other kids were more privileged.

15. Dec 29, 2014 #14

Lisa!

Gold Member

I used to be happier during high school because I was kinda ignorant and naive!:biggrin:

16. Dec 29, 2014 #15
    It requires a bit more leg work to pick up on chicks. Before I just had to make them laugh. Now I have to make them laugh and buy them a burger.

17. Dec 29, 2014 #16

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

High school was dope. College is dope. Grad school is probably going to be dope. And after that, well...

18. Dec 29, 2014 #17

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

These days it's becoming a lot more socially acceptable to admit that high school years were full of awkwardness, angst and less-than-ideal decisions. And, I think that people are also generally realizing that statements such as "high school/college years are the best years of your life" inherently end up disappointing more people than they inspire.

In defence of such statements though I might offer another perspective. Once you get a little bit older, your younger years can blur together a little bit. Issues that seemed like such a big deal at the time are no longer half as upsetting. Partly this is because as a result of those negative experiences you grow and learn. Partly, this is because you have a bigger picture perspective. Partly it's also because you forget about freedoms that you didn't have.

As you get older too, you start to loose freedoms in a different way. To build on the case in point, sure I could go out and buy tacos at 3:00 am if I wanted to, but...
    1. I have to wake up at 6:30 to make it into work on time tomorrow. Why the hell would I want to be awake at 3:00 am?
    2. If I ate fast food tacos at 3:00 am, I know I won't fall asleep quickly afterwards either.
    3. I lost 40 lbs last year by avoiding such foods. A fast food craving isn't going to help keep that off.
    4. My wife would want to know what I was doing at 3:00 am? Where was I? Why do I smell like Taco Bell?
    5. All of this assumes that my wife is willing to stay home with the kids while I venture out to get my tacos. She has the right to got out for a 3:00 am pita if she wants and who will watch the kids?
    6. I suppose we could take the kids with us... scratch that. Anyone who's ever had a four and a three year old will know how mind-numbingly insane that would be.
    7. Even if I somehow did manage to get out, I'd be that creepy old guy hanging out at the taco place at 3:00 am.
    Man, when I was in high school all I had to worry about was digging under the couch of loose change and how far of a bike ride it was.

19. Dec 29, 2014 #18
    I had good days in high school where I had my first romantic love ever.
    It's like we just move up a spiral ladder when first beautiful days keep lingering on and good memories between us seem to last forever.

20. Dec 30, 2014 #19

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"These are the best years of your life" was said to me by several adults when I was in High School.

As it was said by more than one person I thought it actually had to be true.

It made me really depressed.

21. Dec 30, 2014 #20
    I never had freedom during my high school time. I was lost and almost friendless. How sad! I never want to think about those bad days in my life.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook