What steps do medical systems take to address the obesity epidemic?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DanP
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Obesity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
184 replies · 26K views
I gained a few grams this morning in the form of twenty dollar bills.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Count Iblis said:
Jimmy no longer qualifies for a free meal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_Attack_Grill" :approve:

"Here" being the Heart Attack Grill. Their spokesman, a 575-pound, 29-year-old man, died Tuesday -- not of a heart attack, but of pneumonia.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41899470/ns/today-food/

Good grief, his BMI was 63.

This may be a silly question but is obesity a risk factor for pneumonia?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
There is some evidence out there that obesity may impair immune function.
 
lisab said:
"Here" being the Heart Attack Grill. Their spokesman, a 575-pound, 29-year-old man, died Tuesday -- not of a heart attack, but of pneumonia.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41899470/ns/today-food/

Good grief, his BMI was 63.

This may be a silly question but is obesity a risk factor for pneumonia?

It is a risk factor for almost everything... and at that weight I'd assume sleep apnea of some severity... also a risk factor.


575... my g-d... and 63 BMI?... I find that sad.

I myself fell to precipitous weight gain, but am in the process of reversing that. I don't weigh anything like 575, I'm 6'2" with a broad frame... and I don't think I could WALK at that weight!

Surely that kind of eating and lack of activity is nothing if not passive suicide.