Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News The passing of a legend-Nelson Mandela is dead

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

rest in peace.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2
    How will this affect the peace of South Africa?

4. Dec 5, 2013 #3
    Rest in heaven.....

5. Dec 5, 2013 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure there are challenges there still but I think it's a fairly stable country at this point. And Mandela hasn't been active in politics for a while, which is understandable - he was 95 when he died!

He and Desmond Tutu were the right men in the right place at the right time, to guide South Africa through a transition with minimal trauma. In most other countries there would have been tremendous violence in retribution for past injustices.

RIP, what an inspiring life!

6. Dec 6, 2013 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

Rest in peace!

7. Dec 7, 2013 #6
    God bless him

8. Dec 7, 2013 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looking for a quick quote, to summarize his life, I found a nice tribute video:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2013/12/05/nelson-mandela-quotes/3775255/

I wonder how many people would have died, had South Africa followed in our footsteps, and gone the civil war route.

According to Wiki, 2% of America's population died during our war. South Africa has roughly 50,000,000 inhabitants. That correlates to 1,000,000 people, dead.

I wonder how many people died at the hands of the Umkhonto we Sizwe.

Godspeed Nelson, and thank you.

ps. OMG! He was Royalty!

King Nelson. I like that. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook