The passing of a legend-Nelson Mandela is dead
- Topic: News
- Thread starter arildno
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
- 20,002
- 11,121
How will this affect the peace of South Africa?
Gcshiba
Rest in heaven...
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
Greg Bernhardt said:How will this affect the peace of South Africa?
Sure there are challenges there still but I think it's a fairly stable country at this point. And Mandela hasn't been active in politics for a while, which is understandable - he was 95 when he died!
He and Desmond Tutu were the right men in the right place at the right time, to guide South Africa through a transition with minimal trauma. In most other countries there would have been tremendous violence in retribution for past injustices.
RIP, what an inspiring life!
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
Rest in peace!
nst.john
- 163
- 1
God bless him
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Looking for a quick quote, to summarize his life, I found a nice tribute video:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2013/12/05/nelson-mandela-quotes/3775255/
I wonder how many people would have died, had South Africa followed in our footsteps, and gone the civil war route.
According to Wiki, 2% of America's population died during our war. South Africa has roughly 50,000,000 inhabitants. That correlates to 1,000,000 people, dead.
I wonder how many people died at the hands of the Umkhonto we Sizwe.
Godspeed Nelson, and thank you.
ps. OMG! He was Royalty!
King Nelson. I like that.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2013/12/05/nelson-mandela-quotes/3775255/
I wonder how many people would have died, had South Africa followed in our footsteps, and gone the civil war route.
According to Wiki, 2% of America's population died during our war. South Africa has roughly 50,000,000 inhabitants. That correlates to 1,000,000 people, dead.
I wonder how many people died at the hands of the Umkhonto we Sizwe.
Godspeed Nelson, and thank you.
ps. OMG! He was Royalty!
A Xhosa born to the Thembu royal family
King Nelson. I like that.
Similar threads
- i_wish_i_was_smart
- · Replies 3 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 3