The Perodic Motion Spring Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a mass attached to a spring on a frictionless surface. The spring is compressed a distance of 12.2cm and the mass is released from rest. The task is to find the time it takes for the mass to reach x=-1cm for the first time. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem, such as calculating the amplitude and displacement, but the correct answer of 0.0942s is still unclear. The phase constant is mentioned as a potential factor in the discrepancy.
blackbyron

Homework Statement

A mass 0.82kg is attached to a spring of constant 205N/m. The mass slides along a horizontal frictionless surface. The spring is compressed a distance 12.2cm from its equilibrium position and the mass is released from rest. How long after it is released will the mass be at x=-1cm for the first time?

Homework Equations

x(t) = A*cos([tex]\omega[/tex]*t+[tex]\phi[/tex])
E = (1/2)(k)(A)^2 = (1/2)(k)(x^2) + (1/2)(m)(v^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble finding out time. I tried to solve for max velocity and solve for regular velocity, but sadly it didn't work.

I also let A = .122m when t = 0.

I know that the equilibrium position is zero, but are they asking me to find out the time between equilibrium position and -1cm? If it is, does that mean, A = -1cm?

Thanks,

I spend hours trying to do some research on it, even I look at my teachers notes.

Physics news on Phys.org
blackbyron said:
I know that the equilibrium position is zero, but are they asking me to find out the time between equilibrium position and -1cm? If it is, does that mean, A = -1cm?

They ask to calculate the time while the object reaches x=-1 cm from the initial position. A is the amplitude, it is unchanged.

ehild

ehild said:
They ask to calculate the time while the object reaches x=-1 cm from the initial position. A is the amplitude, it is unchanged.

ehild

Thanks for the reply. Okay, so it basically asks me to find the time that reaches from the initial position. So, do I need to find the displacement, for example, it starts from 0 to 12cm, then 12cm, to -1cm? Do I to add them together so I can solve for t?

So I tried this,

x(t) = Acos(wt+Q)
x(0) = Acos(w(0)) = .122m -----> A = .122m

set

-.01m = .122cos(w(t)) + Q) Q = 0
-.125m = cos((w(t))

w = sqrt(k/m) = 15.81 rad/s

1.696 = 15.81t

t = .107s

but the answer says its .0942s, so I have no idea how it got that.

The vibration starts with x=-0.122 m, as the spring is compressed, (shorter than the equilibrium length). What is the phase constant then?

ehild

ehild said:
The vibration starts with x=-0.122 m, as the spring is compressed, (shorter than the equilibrium length). What is the phase constant then?

ehild

OOOOHHH, I see, yeah, what am I thinking here? lol

Thank you ehild, sorry for trouble.

1. What is the Periodic Motion Spring Problem?

The Periodic Motion Spring Problem is a physics problem that involves the motion of a mass attached to a spring. The mass is pulled down from its equilibrium position and released, causing it to oscillate up and down in a periodic motion.

2. What factors affect the period of the spring's motion?

The period of the spring's motion is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. The period can also be affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction.

3. How is the period of the spring's motion calculated?

The period of the spring's motion can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This equation assumes that there is no external force acting on the system.

4. Can the period of the spring's motion be changed?

Yes, the period of the spring's motion can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, increasing the mass or the spring constant will result in a longer period, while decreasing them will result in a shorter period. Changing the amplitude of the motion can also affect the period.

5. How is the energy of the system conserved in the Periodic Motion Spring Problem?

In the ideal case with no external forces, the energy of the system is conserved in the Periodic Motion Spring Problem. This means that the sum of the kinetic and potential energies remains constant throughout the motion. Any energy lost due to external forces will result in a decrease in the amplitude of the motion over time.