The potential created by an electron in hydrogen

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with embedding images and confusion over a question related to finding the potential caused by a shell electron. The issue is with how the square roots are simplified, requiring the radial integral to be broken into two parts.
starvingautist
Images aren't embedding properly, so forgive the urls.

This is the question I am attempting to answer:

https://imgur.com/a/mEcAl

and this is the start of my answer:

https://imgur.com/a/8MoDi

so.. I wasn't expecting just to get the coulomb potential at the end. This is supposed to be the potential caused by the shell electron. Have I done something wrong here? Misunderstood the question? Does the VH in the question refer to something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
The issue is with how you simplified the square roots. There needs to be an absolute value sign.
$$\sqrt{r^{2}+r_{e}^{2}+2rr_{e}}-\sqrt{r^{2}+r_{e}^{2}-2rr_{e}}=r+r_{e}-|r-r_{e}|$$
This means that you have to break the radial integral into two pieces. One for ##r>r_{e}## and one for ##r<r_{e}##.

Likes starvingautist

1. What is the potential created by an electron in hydrogen?

The potential created by an electron in hydrogen is known as the ionization energy, which is the amount of energy needed to remove an electron from a hydrogen atom.

2. How is the potential created by an electron in hydrogen calculated?

The potential created by an electron in hydrogen is calculated using the Rydberg formula, which takes into account the charge of the electron, the charge of the proton, and the distance between the electron and proton in the hydrogen atom.

3. What is the significance of the potential created by an electron in hydrogen?

The potential created by an electron in hydrogen is significant because it plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules. It also helps in understanding the structure and properties of matter.

4. How does the potential created by an electron in hydrogen change with the distance from the nucleus?

The potential created by an electron in hydrogen decreases as the distance from the nucleus increases. This is because the farther away an electron is from the nucleus, the weaker the attractive force between them becomes.

5. Can the potential created by an electron in hydrogen be measured experimentally?

Yes, the potential created by an electron in hydrogen can be measured experimentally using spectroscopy techniques. By analyzing the energy levels of the emitted or absorbed light, the ionization energy can be determined.