1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The probability of two events happening at the same time

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1
    24wYO.jpg

3 earthquakes happened on day 15, 16, and 17. During these days, a temperature increase was observed apparently because of the earthquakes.
    But temperature also increases on other days. So, we don't know for sure if the temperature increase was triggered by the earthquakes or not, -maybe it was just weather. But we can calculate some confidence level or probability that the temperature increased because of the earthquake by using the information from the graph. Does anyone have any tips on how to do so?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The mathematics can tell you if there is a correlation between the earthquake and the temperature. You need to go into the physics to determine cause and effect.

4. Dec 16, 2012 #3
    From the graph it does look like there is a strong correlation. If you want to put a number on it, simply take the temperature points (controlling for seasons) and compute the mean/std. Next find the probability of finding those points from a gaussian. This will tell the likelihood of observing those higher temperatures.

5. Dec 16, 2012 #4
    @mathman: Yes, I am trying to find that correlation, and as you said, that can be done using mathematics (i.e. statistics)

@broccoli: Can you please explain it more when you say "Next find the probability of finding those points from a gaussian".
    Let's say I calculated the temperature average T of the observations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook