1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The process of the method of images

1. Jul 19, 2015 #1
    I am really confused that the whole process of the method of image.

Suppose I have the + q near the infinite conducting plane which is grounded.
    My first question is: Is the conducting plane grounded before putting the +q or after putting the +q then grounded?

The first question would lead to my second question.

If I have an infinite neutral plane, then I am putting a +q near it, it will induce the negative charge on the plane. Next, I grounded the plane, so the positive charges on the plane will be neutralized (All the positive charges flowing away). After that, what you remain is the induced negative charges on the plane.

In another case, I am going to ground the infinite neutral plane first, then put the positive charge near the plane. Can the plane also be induced negative charges? If yes, will the +charges flow away?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2015 #2
    No matter you ground it first or later, I think the plane would both remain negative charges, which is induced by +q.
    The method of the image can be grabbed directly by the concept of electrostatic shielding. Maybe you can try on it.

4. Jul 21, 2015 #3

tech99

Gold Member

If you could find a gold leave electroscope you could try these experiments very easily.

5. Jul 22, 2015 #4
    Thank you!
    I am going to find this electroscope.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook