1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The product of a vector and the length of a polar coordinate

1. Feb 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I am not sure how to multiply these two (A*R^2) together.

2. Relevant equations
    A=( x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ) (xe + y e + z e )
    Where x represents the three vector compones

I also have R^2=x^2+y^2+z^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Is the product of A (x^3e + y^3 e + z^3 e )? If so why is that? I would think because of some vector rule I am not sure of.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You haven't told us what R is. Also, (xe + y e + z e ) is strange notation. Is e the base of natural logarithms? Or is that supposed to represent a vector ##\langle x,y,z\rangle## and is that ##\vec R##? Is ##R^2## supposed to represent ##\vec R \cdot \vec R##? It would help greatly if you would define your terms and use standard notation.

4. Feb 2, 2014 #3
    R is just (x^2+y^2+z^2)^1/2 and it isn't a vector.

Let me rewrite A
    A=( x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ) (x[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + y[itex]\hat{y}[/itex] + z[itex]\hat{z}[/itex] )

5. Feb 2, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

x2 + y2 + z2 is just a scalar. What happens when you multiply a vector by a scalar?

Also, are ##\hat{x}##, ##\hat{y}##, and ##\hat{z}## some random unit vectors? If they are unit vectors in the directions of the x, y, and z axes, they are usually written i, j, and k.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted