The product of a vector and the length of a polar coordinate

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to multiply two expressions, A and R^2, together. A is defined as (x^2+y^2+z^2)(x^2+y^2+z^2)(x\hat{x} + y\hat{y} + z\hat{z}), where x, y, and z represent vector components. The problem solver is unsure of the resulting product, (x^3e + y^3e + z^3e), and is looking for clarification on vector rules and notation.
catsonmars

Homework Statement

So I am not sure how to multiply these two (A*R^2) together.

Homework Equations

A=( x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ) (xe + y e + z e )
Where x represents the three vector compones

I also have R^2=x^2+y^2+z^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the product of A (x^3e + y^3 e + z^3 e )? If so why is that? I would think because of some vector rule I am not sure of.

Physics news on Phys.org
catsonmars said:

Homework Statement

So I am not sure how to multiply these two (A*R^2) together.

Homework Equations

A=( x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ) (xe + y e + z e )
Where x represents the three vector compones

I also have R^2=x^2+y^2+z^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the product of A (x^3e + y^3 e + z^3 e )? If so why is that? I would think because of some vector rule I am not sure of.

You haven't told us what R is. Also, (xe + y e + z e ) is strange notation. Is e the base of natural logarithms? Or is that supposed to represent a vector ##\langle x,y,z\rangle## and is that ##\vec R##? Is ##R^2## supposed to represent ##\vec R \cdot \vec R##? It would help greatly if you would define your terms and use standard notation.

R is just (x^2+y^2+z^2)^1/2 and it isn't a vector.

Let me rewrite A
A=( x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ) (x[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + y[itex]\hat{y}[/itex] + z[itex]\hat{z}[/itex] )

catsonmars said:
R is just (x^2+y^2+z^2)^1/2 and it isn't a vector.

Let me rewrite A
A=( x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ) (x[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + y[itex]\hat{y}[/itex] + z[itex]\hat{z}[/itex] )
x2 + y2 + z2 is just a scalar. What happens when you multiply a vector by a scalar?

Also, are ##\hat{x}##, ##\hat{y}##, and ##\hat{z}## some random unit vectors? If they are unit vectors in the directions of the x, y, and z axes, they are usually written i, j, and k.

1. What is the product of a vector and the length of a polar coordinate?

The product of a vector and the length of a polar coordinate is known as the magnitude of the vector. It represents the size or length of the vector and is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

2. How is the magnitude of a vector calculated?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In polar coordinates, the magnitude is equal to the length of the vector, also known as the radius.

3. Can the magnitude of a vector ever be negative?

No, the magnitude of a vector is always a positive value. It represents the distance from the origin to the point where the vector ends, and distance is always a positive quantity.

4. What is the relationship between the magnitude of a vector and its direction?

The magnitude of a vector is independent of its direction. This means that the same vector can have different directions but will always have the same magnitude. The direction of a vector is determined by its angle in relation to a reference point.

5. How is the magnitude of a vector useful in physics and engineering?

The magnitude of a vector is crucial in calculating the net force, velocity, and acceleration of an object in physics. In engineering, it is used to determine the strength and direction of a force acting on a structure.