The Quiet Earth" & "The Far Side of the Moon": Movie Reviews

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary, these are two movies that the expert enjoyed. One is about a CIA agent who goes to Belgium to stop a terrorist attack, and the other is about a country singer who becomes a drug kingpin.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've been scouring the video store lately due to travel.

The Quiet Earth: I absolutely loved this movie. I think it's one of the best sci-fi films that I've seen in many years.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/

The Far Side of the Moon: [French Canadian] I hate having to read a movie, but I loved this one as well.
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2683637

Physics news on Phys.org
I know many great movies if you need something to watch Ivan. Nothing bad like GNAGL, I promise :wink:

I have a collection of award winning short movies to watch tonight. I'm sure that none will be as good as Marlon's movie, but I'll give them a watch anyway. :biggrin:

Yeh, I should be going home soon, but I'm definitely on a movie kick now. Another one that I really liked was Cinderella Man.

Hmmm, if you want boxing, you should watch Ali! :tongue2:

http://www.imdb.com/top_250_films

Ivan Seeking said:
The Far Side of the Moon: [French Canadian] I hate having to read a movie, but I loved this one as well.
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2683637

I like The Dark Side of the Moon.

One I didn't see on that list was "Three Days of the Condor", which even by today's standards is an excellent movie. I liked the question, "do we have plans to invade the middle east?".

Ivan, have you watched "Memento"?

A WWII tear jerker classic "Mrs Miniver"

Ninotchka ""You are the unfortunate product of a doomed culture."

Last edited:
Evo said:
I watched it, but it wasn't very memorable. My wife hated it until I reversed the chapters and played it forwards. It was too inconsistent, a problem with a lot of movies and TV shows.

Last edited:
how come i didn't see Tootsie on that list? come on! that movie is freaking amazing!

cyrusabdollahi said:
I know many great movies if you need something to watch Ivan. Nothing bad like GNAGL, I promise :wink:
You like Top Gun and Armageddon. Get out of this thread!:tongue2:

I won't say that this is a great movie, but it has got to be the most frustrating movie that I've ever seen - Swimming Pool.

I won't go into details about the movie, because it will give it away. Let's just say that this is the first ever movie that I've attended where, while the end credits were rolling, some members of the audience were yelling "Can someone tell me what the hell that ending meant?"

Of course, I had the audacity to reply back "Go to Roger Ebert's website. He has a take on meaning of the ending!" In fact, a few members of the audience who had left, came back in and asked me again about what I said (they must have heard the "commotion"). A number of people even stayed around to "argue" about the ending of the movie.

In all the years that I've been to the movie theaters, I've never seen that happening spontaneously. Till this very day, I cannot watch the ending of Swimming Pool, because after reading Roger Ebert's take on the ending, if he's right, it annoys the hell out of me because I felt completely cheated.

Oy... even just typing about it makes me mad! Now I have to go find someone to whack on the head.

Zz.

yomamma said:
http://www.imdb.com/top_250_films
There are a lot of great movies, which are not on that list. I wonder if that list is more about popularity than the quality of the film. Some films are technically great, but have a weak story, others have a great story, but are technically weak.

I agree with Jeff Reid - "Three Days of the Condor" is a great movie.

How about Enemy of the State with Will Smith and Gene Hackman. I thought that was pretty good.

Does anyone remember the Anderson Tapes (1971)?

Ivan Seeking said:
I have a collection of award winning short movies to watch tonight. I'm sure that none will be as good as Marlon's movie, but I'll give them a watch anyway. :biggrin:
Thanks man, appreciate it. This movie thing is quite important to me. Anyhow, i am sure there are a lot of short movies that are better.

Another very good movie is "C'est arrive pres de chez vous". It's a Belgian (Wallon, ie the French speaking part) movie that was shot in '92, i believe. The budget was very low but it was a tremendous success.

regards
marlon

Astronuc said:
How about Enemy of the State with Will Smith and Gene Hackman. I thought that was pretty good.
I liked that movie very much. "Walk the line" was a very good film as well. Johnny Cash was not that famous here in Europe before this motion picture came out but now his name is everywhere. Real good performance by the two head stars.

marlon

the man in the white suit was good
Laydykillers
Pink Panther
Baron Munchousen

FredGarvin said:
You like Top Gun and Armageddon. Get out of this thread!:tongue2:

I never said I liked Armageddon. That movie was trash.

You should rent A few good men.

Last edited:
Evo said:

YES! That was a tough movie but worth it.

cyrusabdollahi said:
You should rent A few good men.

I don't think Fred is into that sort of thing but you might check with Arildno.

I didnt say Brokeback Mountain! :grumpy: :uhh: :yuck:

A Few Good Men, indeed a terrific movie

Just a pitty that Tom Cruise is in it..but Jack Nicholson...what an actor, no ?

marlon

A very entertaining documentary film is "Dead River Rough Cut". It's about some old-timers living in cabins out in northern Maine, and trapping, cutting pulp wood, etc for a living. When the movie started, my wife said "I don't want to watch this one" and after watching it, she's recommending it to all our friends. The thing is, I am intimately familiar with the region and spent a lot of time there as a kid, so I recognized a lot of the movie's locations, including things that no longer exist, like the bridge over the Dead River.

marlon, I just watched your film. Very nice.

turbo-1 said:
marlon, I just watched your film. Very nice.
Thanks...I appreciate it...

But technically, it's NOT my film. I am just playing one of the characters. I did not participate in the filming, editing or storyboard writing myself.

marlon

Probably my all time favorite film is http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113277/" . Nobody can touch this film as far as realism goes, it is very well thought out.

By the way, screw the top 250 imdb. It is a decent gauge if you are looking for a film that might be good, but the imdb rating system is heavily skewed. You'll see new movies come out and they will jump up to a rating of 8. A rating that high should be reserved for something that can hold its own over a period of time, not something that's been out for a day. Also, if someone doesn't like a film (say they hate the actor), they'll often rate a film a 1. If a film gets a 1, it is should be complete trash. I've see a few films on imdb that are rated very low which I thought were ok. For example, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0466664/" received a 3.5. I didn't think it was a good film, but it wasn't that bad that it deserved a 3.5.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to lay it down for ya:
The Shawshank Redemption (#1 all-time)
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Gladiator
Forrest Gump
Antione Fisher
The Field of Dreams
October Sky
Contact
The Matrix (Don't get me started)
Star Wars (again, don't get me started)
The Last of the Dogmen

Your lucky I can't remember anymore...

I'm not very old, so I haven't seen a lot of old movies. However, I've seen tons of movies since '98 on and I have a very strict rating system. You can omit The Matrix and Star Wars from the list if you feel so inclined (I am a little biased on sci-fi movies). I also didn't list any humor movies for those who aren't fond of humor.

The movies I listed are must sees for anyone. My personal guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Paden Roder

marlon said:
Thanks...I appreciate it...

But technically, it's NOT my film. I am just playing one of the characters. I did not participate in the filming, editing or storyboard writing myself.

marlon
Well, I'm following the US (likely) convention, like "Did you see the new Nicholson movie?" Thanks for linking "Remembrance".

turbo-1 said:
Well, I'm following the US (likely) convention, like "Did you see the new Nicholson movie?" Thanks for linking "Remembrance".
:approve: got it...:cool:

marlon

marlon said:
A Few Good Men, indeed a terrific movie

Just a pitty that Tom Cruise is in it..but Jack Nicholson...what an actor, no ?

marlon

Hey, let's be fair, Cruise was good in that movie. :wink:

Jeff Reid said:
I watched it, but it wasn't very memorable. My wife hated it until I reversed the chapters and played it forwards. It was too inconsistent, a problem with a lot of movies and TV shows.
:rofl: She missed the whole point of the movie! The guy was suffering from short term memory and the movie was filmed to give the audience the sense of disconnection that the character suffered. That is why it was filmed in reverse order in ten minute segments. It was fascinating to watch the sequence of events unwind and each segment could give you an entirely different perception of who was good, who was bad, who you could trust, which was the character's dilema.

Evo said:
Evo said:
memento
I watched it, but it wasn't very memorable. It was too inconsistent
The guy was suffering from short term memory and the movie was filmed to give the audience the sense of disconnection that the character suffered.
I didn't mind the movie in reverse concept, but the main character's memory loss timing kept varying during the movie just to make the script work. Sometimes he'd lose track of things in a short period of time, yet at other moments, he'd be able to focus on a single task for a very long period of time: he was able to drive fairly long distances without losing track of where he was going, including what he would do after arriving at his destination (the "ending" sequence was way too long compared to the other sequences where he lost track of things). Then there's the obvious, why didn't his "partner" simply steal the photos and/or replace them? The main character would have forgotten this happened.

The problem I have with movies like Memento, and Sixth Sense is that the main premise is weak or unsupportable, and it takes an incredible series of coincidences, and/or inconsistencies, and/or outright violations of the main premise itself in order to make such a movie. These movies rank right up there with Star Trek (in terms of inconsistencies).

Jeff Reid said:
I didn't mind the movie in reverse concept, but the main character's memory loss timing kept varying during the movie just to make the script work. Sometimes he'd lose track of things in a short period of time, yet at other moments, he'd be able to focus on a single task for a very long period of time: he was able to drive fairly long distances without losing track of where he was going, including what he would do after arriving at his destination (the "ending" sequence was way too long compared to the other sequences where he lost track of things). Then there's the obvious, why didn't his "partner" simply steal the photos and/or replace them? The main character would have forgotten this happened.

The problem I have with movies like Memento, and Sixth Sense is that the main premise is weak or unsupportable, and it takes an incredible series of coincidences, and/or inconsistencies, and/or outright violations of the main premise itself in order to make such a movie. These movies rank right up there with Star Trek (in terms of inconsistencies).
Geeze, I'm not going to any movies with you. :tongue:

From the short film "Our Time is Up" ~

Patient: We use soap to remove bacteria from things, but what removes the bacteria from the soap?

Doctor: So that's why you wash the soap with soap?

Patient: Yes, and I wash the soap that washes the soap...but what cleans the bacteria from the soap that washes the soap, that washes the soap? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Some movies have "grown on me" to the point that I have watched them many times. These include:

Crossroads - I love Steve Vai's demonic guitar playing contrasted with that of Ry Cooder (Ralph Macchio's "playing")

Young Frankenstein

Blazing Saddles

My Cousin Vinny

Contact

Braveheart

Rob Roy

Turbo, Most of your list is good, but please tell me it's not THIS crossroads...