The *reciprocal* of a one-to-one function

In summary, if g(x) is a one-to-one and differentiable function at every point in R, then its reciprocal 1/g(x) is also differentiable at every point in its domain. This can be proven by using the quotient rule and knowing that g'(x) exists for all x, except where g(x) is equal to 0. One-to-one does not necessarily mean g(x) cannot be 0, as seen in the example of g(x)=x. However, if g(x)=0 for all x, then it is not a one-to-one function.
sl2382

Homework Statement

If g(x) is one-to-one and differentiable at every point in R, then its reciprocal 1/g(x) is also differentiable at every point in its domain. True of False?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried several times, and the statement seems to be right. I think 1/g(x) can be regarded as 1/u and u=g(x), so 1/g(x) ' = 1/u ' * g'(x)=g'(x)/g(x) (I don't know if this is right...), but I'm stucked here and can't go any further because I don't know how to prove a function to be one-to-one..

I'll be very grateful if anyone can help me.. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(1/g(x))'=g'(x)/g(x) is wrong. Can you correct it? The only thing I can think of that would involve 'one-to-one' is if you have stated the problem wrong. Did it ask if the INVERSE FUNCTION g^(-1)(x) is differentiable, not the reciprocal (g(x))^(-1) or 1/g(x)?

Hi, thank you so much. I calculated once again: g^2(x)'/g^2(x) Is this one right?

It is the reciprocal, the 1/g(x). The question asks for if 1/g(x) is differentiable at every point in its domain.

sl2382 said:
Hi, thank you so much. I calculated once again: g^2(x)'/g^2(x) Is this one right?

It is the reciprocal, the 1/g(x). The question asks for if 1/g(x) is differentiable at every point in its domain.

No, you haven't got it right yet. Use the quotient rule.

Dick said:
No, you haven't got it right yet. Use the quotient rule.

Is it -g'(x)/g^2(x) ?

sl2382 said:
Is it -g'(x)/g^2(x) ?

Yes it is! Now you know g'(x) exists for all x. So the quotient -g'(x)/g(x)^2 exists everywhere that g(x) is not equal to zero, right? Are points where g(x)=0 in the domain of 1/g(x)? I'm still not seeing what this has to do with g(x) being one-to-one.

But what happens at points where f is 0?

Bacle2 said:
But what happens at points where f is 0?

What's f??

Oh, I meant g.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Yes it is! Now you know g'(x) exists for all x. So the quotient -g'(x)/g(x)^2 exists everywhere that g(x) is not equal to zero, right? Are points where g(x)=0 in the domain of 1/g(x)? I'm still not seeing what this has to do with g(x) being one-to-one.

Does one-to-one means that g(x) can't be 0? Since if g=0 then it can't pass the horizontal line test.

sl2382 said:
Does one-to-one means that g(x) can't be 0? Since if g=0 then it can't pass the horizontal line test.

g(x)=x is 1-1.

sl2382 said:

Not at all. g(x)=x is one-to-one. And g(0)=0. As I said, I don't get what one-to-one has to do with this problem if it's reciprocal.

Dick said:
Not at all. g(x)=x is one-to-one. And g(0)=0. As I said, I don't get what one-to-one has to do with this problem if it's reciprocal.

Oh I got it. Thank you so much!

The constant function g(x)= 0 for all x is not one- to- one. Is that what you were thinking of?

1. What does it mean for a function to be one-to-one?

A one-to-one function is a function where each input (x-value) has a unique output (y-value), and each output has a unique input. In other words, no two inputs can give the same output.

2. What is the reciprocal of a one-to-one function?

The reciprocal of a one-to-one function is a function that maps each input to its multiplicative inverse. In other words, if the original function maps x to y, the reciprocal function will map y to x.

3. What is the graphical representation of the reciprocal of a one-to-one function?

The graph of the reciprocal of a one-to-one function will be a reflection of the original function's graph over the line y = x. This means that the x and y coordinates of each point on the original function's graph will be swapped on the reciprocal function's graph.

4. How is the domain and range affected when finding the reciprocal of a one-to-one function?

The domain and range of the reciprocal function will be the opposite of the original function's domain and range. For example, if the original function has a domain of all real numbers except 0, the reciprocal function will have a range of all real numbers except 0.

5. Can a one-to-one function always have a reciprocal?

No, not all one-to-one functions have a reciprocal. A function must also be defined for all real numbers in order to have a reciprocal. For example, the function f(x) = x^2 is a one-to-one function, but it does not have a reciprocal because it is not defined for negative inputs.