1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The *reciprocal* of a one-to-one function

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If g(x) is one-to-one and differentiable at every point in R, then its reciprocal 1/g(x) is also differentiable at every point in its domain. True of False?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried several times, and the statement seems to be right. I think 1/g(x) can be regarded as 1/u and u=g(x), so 1/g(x) ' = 1/u ' * g'(x)=g'(x)/g(x) (I don't know if this is right...), but I'm stucked here and can't go any further because I don't know how to prove a function to be one-to-one..

I'll be very grateful if anyone can help me.. Thanks!!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(1/g(x))'=g'(x)/g(x) is wrong. Can you correct it? The only thing I can think of that would involve 'one-to-one' is if you have stated the problem wrong. Did it ask if the INVERSE FUNCTION g^(-1)(x) is differentiable, not the reciprocal (g(x))^(-1) or 1/g(x)?

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3
    Hi, thank you so much. I calculated once again: g^2(x)'/g^2(x) Is this one right?

It is the reciprocal, the 1/g(x). The question asks for if 1/g(x) is differentiable at every point in its domain.

5. Oct 12, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you haven't got it right yet. Use the quotient rule.

6. Oct 12, 2011 #5
    Is it -g'(x)/g^2(x) ?

7. Oct 12, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it is! Now you know g'(x) exists for all x. So the quotient -g'(x)/g(x)^2 exists everywhere that g(x) is not equal to zero, right? Are points where g(x)=0 in the domain of 1/g(x)? I'm still not seeing what this has to do with g(x) being one-to-one.

8. Oct 12, 2011 #7

Bacle2

Science Advisor

But what happens at points where f is 0?

9. Oct 12, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's f??

10. Oct 12, 2011 #9

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Oh, I meant g.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  11. Oct 12, 2011 #10
    Does one-to-one means that g(x) can't be 0? Since if g=0 then it can't pass the horizontal line test.

12. Oct 12, 2011 #11

Bacle2

Science Advisor

g(x)=x is 1-1.

13. Oct 12, 2011 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not at all. g(x)=x is one-to-one. And g(0)=0. As I said, I don't get what one-to-one has to do with this problem if it's reciprocal.

14. Oct 12, 2011 #13
    Oh I got it. Thank you so much!

15. Oct 13, 2011 #14

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The constant function g(x)= 0 for all x is not one- to- one. Is that what you were thinking of?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook