Calculating Centripetal Acceleration for a Spinning Fairgrounds Ride

• Thread starter Mariesa Yeoman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the problem involves a fairgrounds ride with a spinning motion and a circular path of radius 8.00 m. The goal is to find the number of revolutions per minute at which the riders will experience a centripetal acceleration of 1.95 times that of gravity. Using the equation α=ω^2r, the angular velocity ω is found to be 1.54 rad/s. This value can then be converted to rpm to obtain the final answer.
Mariesa Yeoman

Homework Statement

A fairgrounds ride spins its occupants inside a flying-saucer-shaped container. If the horizontal circular path the riders follow has a 8.00 m radius, at how many revolutions per minute will the riders be subjected to a centripetal acceleration 1.95 times that of gravity?

Homework Equations

α= 1.95*9.8m/s^2= 19.11
ω=ν/r

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I attempted this by solving for α =19.11m/s^2
Then ω=√19.11/8.00= 1.54 rad/s
And this is where I get stuck or confused, or maybe I haven't done it right at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mariesa Yeoman said:
= 1.54 rad/s
I get slightly nearer to 1.55rad/s.
It remains to convert to rpm. I would use a rad/sec value with some more digits for that, rounding afterwards.

Edit: it is not clear to me how you arrived at your answer, and you seem to be unsure yourself.
It is useful to remember a second form of the expression for centripetal acceleration: ##\frac {v^2}r=\omega^2r##.

That was exactly the problem! Thank you so much!

Likes berkeman

What is the definition of a formula?

A formula is a mathematical expression that uses symbols and numbers to represent a relationship between different variables or quantities.

How do you identify a formula?

To identify a formula, you need to look for variables, constants, and mathematical symbols such as +, -, *, /, and =. These elements indicate that the expression is a formula.

What are the different types of formulas?

There are many types of formulas, such as mathematical formulas, chemical formulas, and statistical formulas. Each type serves a different purpose and has its own set of variables and symbols.

What is the process for writing a formula?

The process for writing a formula involves identifying the variables and constants in the relationship, determining the mathematical operations needed to express the relationship, and using the appropriate symbols to represent these operations.

Why is it important to correctly identify a formula?

Correctly identifying a formula is important because it allows us to understand and analyze complex relationships between variables. Formulas also provide a concise and standardized way to express these relationships, making it easier to communicate and apply them in various fields of study.