The Sanger Method: DNA Sequencing Explained

• Thread starter jhirlo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the Sanger method is a sequencing method that uses deoxynucleotides and fluorescently labeled dideoxy nucleotides. You pass in primers and polymerase and then analyze, replicated chains, ended with dd nucleotide. The first few nucleotides are sequence using this method, but you can't sequence the beginning of the chain.
jhirlo
I believe you all know something about this method for sequencing dna, thing that confuses me is the first, or the first few nucleotides. How they sequence them, I guess you have to put some primers to turn on dna polymerase, if you do so you can’t sequence the beginning of the chain.
And how much and what kind of primers they put in ? If you want dinucleotide primer, and you don’t know seq of those two nucleotides, you’ll have to put in 16 different primers, I’m I Wright or not :smile: (probably not:)

Biology news on Phys.org
C’mon people :) you know this…
Sanger: one strain dna incubated with deoxynucleotides and fluorescently labeled dideoxy nucleotides (dd). You pass in primers and polymerase and then analyze, replicated chains, ended with dd nucleotide.
Again what about the start of sequence?

Q:
p.s. is there some compound of choice for covalent protein Cross-linking?

Last edited:
iansmith said:
You migth want to try to look at the original paper by Sanger
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=4616099

You can also determine DNA sequence using the Maxam and Gilbert mehtods which do not require primer and could potentially allows you to design primers to be used in the Sanger method.
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/74/2/560
Ian, thanks again.
We must have wrote reply in same time.

I thought so too for using Maxam and Gilbert method.

p.s. I don’t have access to PubMed :(

The paper are old so might to go to the library of institution to have access to the journal.

Sanger F, Donelson JE, Coulson AR, Kossel H, Fischer D.e. Determination of a nucleotide sequence in bacteriophage f1 DNA by primed synthesis with DNA polymerase. J Mol Biol. 1974 Dec 5;90(2):315-33.

FAQ: The Sanger Method: DNA Sequencing Explained

1. What is the Sanger Method?

The Sanger Method is a laboratory technique used to determine the exact sequence of nucleotide bases (A, C, G, T) in a strand of DNA. This method was developed by British biochemist Frederick Sanger in the 1970s and is still widely used today.

2. How does the Sanger Method work?

The Sanger Method uses a process called DNA sequencing, which involves breaking down a DNA strand into smaller fragments, labeling them with fluorescent tags, and then using a process called gel electrophoresis to separate the fragments based on their size. The sequence of bases can then be determined by analyzing the order of the fragments.

3. What is the advantage of using the Sanger Method?

The Sanger Method is considered the gold standard for DNA sequencing because it is highly accurate and can determine the sequence of up to 1000 nucleotides at a time. It is also relatively simple and can be performed in most laboratory settings.

4. What are some common applications of the Sanger Method?

The Sanger Method is used in a variety of scientific fields, including genetics, medicine, and forensics. It is often used to identify genetic mutations and variations, study gene expression, and diagnose genetic disorders.

5. Are there any limitations to the Sanger Method?

While the Sanger Method is highly accurate, it does have limitations when it comes to sequencing longer DNA strands. It is also a relatively slow and labor-intensive process compared to newer sequencing technologies, such as next-generation sequencing.